PDA

View Full Version : When to expect a Squeezebox version 4 ?



ben2e
2007-02-20, 00:32
The version 3 Squeezebox has now been out there for over a year. Granted they released a Transporter, it's hardly in the same league. Although this device seems to stand alone in user satisfaction, it would be nice to see one which supported multi-channel digital out via HDMI and perhaps the higher resolution audio formats (96/192 kHz).

Several new devices seem to be coming out at the same time. Apple TV, Netgear EVA8000, D-Link DSM-750. I may not be naming the best as I'm just researching these devices as well as MythTV. That said, recording audio is my first priority and I like the included screen vs most other devices which require a video screen. I just thought it may be due for some technical updates and like most technophiles, don't want to be the last guy buying the old version (at least not for a while ;)

Greg Erskine
2007-02-20, 04:43
April 1st is always a good guess.

(Not an original answer but a good one)

byKnight
2007-02-20, 06:55
Please, just make SlimServer reliable. My Squeezebox experience falls far short of what I think it should be considering what I paid for two SB3s. And the blame belongs to SlimServer.

I would happily buy at least two more SB3s, except that I'm sick of wrestling with SlimServer issues.

I don't use iTunes, I don't use MusicIP or any of what I would call the more "exotic" plug-ins. Until Slim Devices can pair their hardware with a server solution that's on par with the quality of the SqueezeBox, I consider the Squeezebox a very poor value.

mherger
2007-02-20, 07:54
> I don't use iTunes, I don't use MusicIP or any of what I would call the
> more "exotic" plug-ins. Until Slim Devices can pair their hardware with
> a server solution that's on par with the quality of the SqueezeBox, I
> consider the Squeezebox a very poor value.

I hope you have reported your issues in other threads. Or start a new one
with detailed information about your system and on how you can reproduce a
problem. SlimServer has been running rock solid for me (no restart since
dec 28th). And I am using MIP.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

peter
2007-02-20, 08:41
byKnight wrote:
> Please, just make SlimServer reliable. My Squeezebox experience falls
> far short of what I think it should be considering what I paid for two
> SB3s. And the blame belongs to SlimServer.
>
> I would happily buy at least two more SB3s, except that I'm sick of
> wrestling with SlimServer issues.
>
> I don't use iTunes, I don't use MusicIP or any of what I would call the
> more "exotic" plug-ins. Until Slim Devices can pair their hardware with
> a server solution that's on par with the quality of the SqueezeBox, I
> consider the Squeezebox a very poor value.
>

Sell 'm on E-bay then, they fetch a pretty good price there for such
poor value devices. ;)

Regards,
Peter

byKnight
2007-02-20, 08:58
I hope you have reported your issues in other threads. Or start a new one with detailed formation about your system and on how you can reproduce a problem. SlimServer has been running rock solid for me (no restart since dec 28th). And I am using MIP.
Yes, I always check in here *and* with Tech Support when I encounter a problem that's new to me.

The only solution that has every worked has been to wipe away all traces of SlimServer and reinstall. Sometimes it takes to or three iterations of this before things start working reliably again.

I really love the Squeezebox. But SlimServer is nowhere near on-par with the quality of the Squeezebox. It tarnishes what would otherwise be a great experience.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-02-20, 10:39
Could be a Windows problem. Try running Slimserver on Linux, where you have complete control of the OS and filesystem.

peter
2007-02-20, 11:09
Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> Could be a Windows problem. Try running Slimserver on Linux, where you
> have complete control of the OS and filesystem.
>

I wonder how many of the slimserver sob stories are actually related to
running it on windows. It's probably hard to tell since the expertise of
people running Linux is probably greater on average than for those
running Linux as well.

Regards,
Peter

SuperQ
2007-02-20, 11:42
>

I hope you have reported your issues in other threads.

Or better, use the proper place for issues:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

Paul_B
2007-02-20, 14:22
I don't have any problems with Slimserver and it is running on Windows. However, a significant difference in my implementation is that the Windows box is a server and therefore no-one browses the internet and downloads programs.