PDA

View Full Version : SB3 for sale - wired, white x2 + Linkstation

mawfin
2007-02-18, 16:54
Due to change in circumstances, need to go wireless but could not get wireless ethernet adapters to work properly with my units.

Thought I would ask here before going to eBay. If you do not need wireless, these will be very good value (and wired is much better if you can do it, anyway ...).

Both one year old, not used much. All the bits, plus most of the packaging. Collect central London or would post within UK when funds are clear.

Also needing a home is my Buffaolo Linkstation II 250GB NAS (mipsel version) as I have moved my Slimserver to a Vaio XL-201 media PC. The NAS used to work very well but I kind of lost it trying to update to 6.5, so best to start again with that ...

bibendum
2007-02-19, 06:56
Due to change in circumstances, need to go wireless but could not get wireless ethernet adapters to work properly with my units.

Thought I would ask here before going to eBay. If you do not need wireless, these will be very good value (and wired is much better if you can do it, anyway ...).

Both one year old, not used much. All the bits, plus most of the packaging. Collect central London or would post within UK when funds are clear.

Also needing a home is my Buffaolo Linkstation II 250GB NAS (mipsel version) as I have moved my Slimserver to a Vaio XL-201 media PC. The NAS used to work very well but I kind of lost it trying to update to 6.5, so best to start again with that ...

How much for the SB3?

killie99
2007-02-19, 07:58
i would be interested in the sb3's if you still have them.

mecouc
2007-02-19, 11:29
I'd use homeplug (ethernet over mains power) rather than woreless. It's much easier to set up (plug it in and turn it on) and there's much less to go wrong than with wireless.

mawfin
2007-02-19, 16:27
Yes, may well give those plugs a go (if I can offload that useless wireless ethernet bridge !!) although I have set someone up with two wireless SB3s and they work a treat.

notanatheist
2007-02-20, 23:22
Why not just add the wireless cards? Just remove 2 T10 screws from the back, 4 on the inside, and slide the guts out. You have full access to the mini-PCI slot. Search the forums as a couple of cards are compatible.

mawfin
2007-02-24, 15:19
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I bought a high speed dLAN kit. Pricey but does the trick. (First I had to learn all about the Windows XP network bridge and how to force my wireless NIC into compatability mode). So, the wired SB3s have had a reprieve.

Next challenge is to get the power management working properly on the media PC that acts as a server. (Sleep when nothing is on, including the SB3, wake on LAN, and all that stuff.) This has been an ongoing discussion topic on the forums so I hope to have it licked soon.