PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove Slimserver completely?

Kenders
2007-02-18, 16:28
I am having all sorts of problems conecting my squeezebox to my network....... yes I have Norton Int Sec 2006, but I have done the supposed fix with no joy.
What I want to do is start from scratch, I have uninstalled slimserver, but it leaves a file in program files which I cant get rid of. If I try deleting, it says access denied. How do I completely remove slimserver and all associated files?
Cheers
Rob

haunyack
2007-02-18, 16:55
I am having all sorts of problems conecting my squeezebox to my network....... yes I have Norton Int Sec 2006, but I have done the supposed fix with no joy.
What I want to do is start from scratch, I have uninstalled slimserver, but it leaves a file in program files which I cant get rid of. If I try deleting, it says access denied. How do I completely remove slimserver and all associated files?
Cheers
Rob

What OS/SS you running?

Kenders
2007-02-18, 17:38
XP Media Center

haunyack
2007-02-18, 19:26
XP Media Center

What slimserver version?

Kenders
2007-02-19, 04:06
Slimserver version 6.5.1

Kenders
2007-02-25, 11:07
Surely you must be able to remove all the Slimserver files??
Are there any ideas out there.......please??

mherger
2007-02-26, 02:13
> Surely you must be able to remove all the Slimserver files??
> Are there any ideas out there.......please??

Remove C:\program files\slimserver* and subfolders (or wherever you
installed slimserver).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Kenders
2007-03-12, 03:07
Michael
Thanks for the reply
I have tried that and get the following msg.

"Cannot delete mysqld.exe:Access is denied
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and the file is not currently in use."

Any other ideas?
Cheers
Rob

Greg Erskine
2007-03-12, 03:30
Something to try.

Check to see if the mysqld.exe process is still running. Stopping the SlimServerMySQL service will stop it, otherwise use "End process" thru Windows Task Manager to kill it.

Now delete the files.

Kenders
2007-03-12, 03:52
There is nothing running in the task manager that shouldn't be.
Any other ideas??

bpa
2007-03-12, 04:59
You should first stop slimserver via SlimTray or Service control panel.
Then Check in the Services control panel that Mysqld services is stopped and disabled as SlimTray does not always stop the MySqld service.
Then run the Slimserver uninstall
Then delete the Slimserver directory.
If you are brave you can then delete the remaining Slimserver entries in the registry.

ModelCitizen
2007-03-12, 06:26
If you can't delete mysqld.exe then the process mysqld.exe must almost certainly be running. Have another look in Task Manager. Make sure you are seeing all running processes. Kill it if/when you find it.

FYI (and any others):
To completely remove SlimServer 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 from Windows 2000/XP etc it is best to:

* Stop the SlimServer process (right click on tray icon and select Stop SlimServer).
* Remove Slimserver program via Windows Add/Remove Programs.
* Go to Task Manager and ensure that all slim related processes are not listed (i.e. mysqld.exe, slim.exe or slimtray.exe). If any are listed right click on them and select "End Process".
* Then go to your installation directory (by default: C:\Program Files\SlimServer and delete it.

All done.

Note: The usual problem with deletion is that the Windows SlimServer uninstal program has a bug and does not (cannot?) stop the MySQL daemon and so the file mysqld.exe cannot be deleted and neither can the directories containing it.

MC

Ramage
2007-03-12, 07:50
Cheers
Rob

Have a look here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

This utility removes any locking handles that some files retain in WinXP. I find it useful for all sorts of problems when trying to delete folders etc.

RichardG
2007-03-12, 17:42
Slimserver install on windows creates a service to handle the starting of the MySQL database. I guess that this service hangs around after the uninstall.

For Windows 2000/XP based installations, you can use the sc.exe command to stop and delete the mysqld service installed by slimserver.

sc query SlimServerMySQL
sc stop SlimServerMySQL
sc delete SlimServerMySQL

Not sure if sc.exe is included in the reduced functionality set of XP Media Center edition. If it is, use the above steps to remove the service, and then delete the directory that could not be removed. If it is not..

Richard

modo
2007-06-14, 23:46
I'd also like to try setting up again from scratch, on my Mac. What's the best/right way to do this? Thanks!