PDA

View Full Version : Need to factory reset SB3 evey morning!!!

davidslym
2007-02-18, 09:46
I have an SB3 running Slimserver 6.5.1 on my basement computer.It is a wired connection not wireless. I listen during the day to a variety of radio and sample my 600 or so albums .At the end of the day I turn off the SB3 by the remotes power button.
The next morning it cannot find the slimserver. I have found I have to unplug the power and do a hard reset. IE plug it in and press ADD on the remote. Then it goes looking for the server finds it and everyone is happy!
Baffled

danco
2007-02-18, 12:33
Some of us have had this kind of problem, and I don't think it has been diagnosed.

Have you also tried

pressing and holding the Power button or

pressing and holding the Left button (I think this may only work when the SB is alive, and then it gets to the setup menu)?

The first of these works for me, it goes through the connection process and then is ok.

pablolie
2007-02-18, 17:38
It has happened twice to me, that for no apparent reason the SB will just fall into a state of utter ijability to communicate, with nothing else changing. These discussion boards tend to quickly try to absolve the SB and Slimserver, and claim something else is at the root, but given the fact that my environment is extremely controlled it *is* the SB and SS. If I go and reset and reconfigure it it will work again, until after a few months it'll get into the same hickup. I can live with it now, but then again it'd be nice if this kind of stuff never happened. But this is the new frontier. Sometimes I wonder how Joe Avergae-Consumer will ever get these things to really work for him... :-)

pufnstuf
2007-02-18, 19:13
Hi all

I am a very happy new SB3 and Transporter owner here in Oz, and I have the very same issue on the SB3. Every morning the screen is blank and it will not connect back to the SlimServer unless I powercycle.

It's a shame because otherwise I think both devices are near perfect! :-)

I would be happy to submit any information for analysis if that would help with solving the problem.

pufnstuf

Steven W.
2007-02-18, 20:17
Are you using DHCP or a static IP on your Squeezebox?
It sounds to me like your router / DHCP server is not renewing the lease for your Squeezebox.
For starters, try setting up your SB with a static IP.

tbessie
2007-02-18, 20:27
I have the same problem, and there is a bug report filed on it (or a bug like it).

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

It seems to be taking a back seat to other bugs, given it is rare.

I wonder if it has something to do with a PARTICULAR router problem, wifi problem, or possibly a particular hardware fault in a few broken SB3s?

I wish it would be fixed... I am tired of always having to force reboots to use the thing.

- Tim

pufnstuf
2007-02-18, 20:29
Thanks Steven W

I'll give it a go, but it's just weird that the SB3 would have the problem and not the Transporter when both devices are on the same network with the same settings.

I'll try it out when I get home tonight and see what happens over the next few days.

Regards
pufnstuf

pablolie
2007-02-18, 22:58
My SB operates with a static IP address out of the range of the DHCP. Only end device in my network to do so. No conflicts there.

The problem is that the SS and the SB stop communicating. It hasn't happened often enough for me to do more systematic debugging, thus far a random sequence of restarting the computer and then stubborn and repeated resets and network reconfiguration of the SB solve the problem. Then everything will work alright and w/o resets for months.

But again - no other sources of possible trouble other than communication between the SS and the SB.

SuperQ
2007-02-18, 23:16
My SB operates with a static IP address out of the range of the DHCP. Only end device in my network to do so. No conflicts there.

The problem is that the SS and the SB stop communicating. It hasn't happened often enough for me to do more systematic debugging, thus far a random sequence of restarting the computer and then stubborn and repeated resets and network reconfiguration of the SB solve the problem. Then everything will work alright and w/o resets for months.

But again - no other sources of possible trouble other than communication between the SS and the SB.

hrm.. you use a static on the SB, but not the server, what other devices are on the network? What types of routers/switches do you have? There is a slight chance it could be an ARP problem.

fredila
2007-02-25, 17:16
Never had the problem before 6.5 but now I have to wake up the Squeezebox every morning by doing multiple remote button presses. Not quite sure what combination of buttons does the trick. It also craps out every so often during the day if there is a period of inactivity (just like now.) Gotta go press some buttons. Bye.

Steven Moore
2007-02-26, 04:03
I found power cycling the router in the morning before starting up the computers cured my problems.
I was having similar problems on a wired sb1.
I now have a timer switch connected between the mains and the router so this does the power cycling for me in the wee hours when the router is not being used, has not failed yet.

fredila
2007-02-26, 08:25
Steven,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, could you explain what "power cycling" means...or how it is done?

Fred

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-26, 09:33
However, could you explain what "power cycling" means...or how it is done?

Can't speak for Steven, but he probably meant just powering it off, then powering it back on again, which is what his timer switch is doing.

Steven Moore
2007-02-26, 12:21
Yep you got it Mark, thanks.

fredila
2007-02-26, 15:51
So, if I don't use a hands off way of dealing with the router, what's the benefit of powering the router off and on vs. doing the same thing to SB?

Thanks again,

Fred

snarlydwarf
2007-02-26, 16:00
It depends which is broken.

My router dies periodically. Rebooting the SB won't fix it.

(Though in my case, the local network, including wireless, is still fine... it usually dies in such a way as to make getting off the local network a problem... though, oddly I can still SSH in, can still run VNC over an SSH tunnel... but loading a web page is flaky.)

Sadly, at the price of routers, most manufacturers don't seem interested in fixing bugs. "Just buy a new one, it has new firmware" is easier than maintaining the code for a router they sold a year ago and subsequently "upgraded" out of existence.

fredila
2007-02-26, 18:24
Snarly,

I have not experienced a router shutdown (at least not that I have been witness to.) So, I don't think that is the problem.

But thanks for the input.

Fred

Steven Moore
2007-02-27, 03:09
So, if I don't use a hands off way of dealing with the router, what's the benefit of powering the router off and on vs. doing the same thing to SB?

Thanks again,

Fred

Well the router for me is easier to access. My sb is down below a television and I have to bend down and behind the sb.
I can't usually reach the mains switch so it means pulling the cord from the back of the sb, not a good idea in the long run. The plug/socket will eventually wear out.
Using a timer switch on the router means it's hands off I suppose you could try using one the squeezebox.
The router is less expensive than the sb, powering off and on the router is a 'safer' option.

peter
2007-02-27, 03:10
Steven Moore wrote:
> fredila;183804 Wrote:
>
>> So, if I don't use a hands off way of dealing with the router, what's
>> the benefit of powering the router off and on vs. doing the same thing
>> to SB?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Fred
>>
>
> Well the router for me is easier to access. My sb is down below a
> television and I have to bend down and behind the sb.
> I can't usually reach the mains switch so it means pulling the cord
> from the back of the sb, not a good idea in the long run. The
> plug/socket will eventually wear out.
> Using a timer switch on the router means it's hands off I suppose you
> could try using one the squeezebox.
> The router is less expensive than the sb, powering off and on the
> router is a 'safer' option.
>

What type of router do you have?

Regards,
Peter

Steven Moore
2007-02-27, 03:35
Netgear DG834G.
It's works excellently with all the computers in the house, all macs 1 wireless, 2 wired and 1 sb wired. It's just the sb that gives the trouble.
As I said power cycling the router every morning 'cured' the problem.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-27, 08:23
Snarly,

I have not experienced a router shutdown (at least not that I have been witness to.) So, I don't think that is the problem.

What Steven is describing isn't a shutdown, it's more subtle than that.

It seems some routers run out of resources (RAM?) and various things start to go wrong. Wireless clients can't access wired clients, files can't be transferred, etc.

It was noted on this forum that this seems to happen with Belkin routers, but any router might be susceptible.

Personally I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware. It's the older "v4" version, the new WRT54GL is equivalent. It has more RAM than the new versions, and it's been quite reliable for me. Even so, about once a month the wireless module resets.

peter
2007-03-04, 13:57
Steven Moore wrote:
> Netgear DG834G.
> It's works excellently with all the computers in the house, all macs 1
> wireless, 2 wired and 1 sb wired. It's just the sb that gives the
> trouble.
> As I said power cycling the router every morning 'cured' the problem.
>
>

My Draytek has some problems where things start getting slow after a
while (the SB's keep running fine though).

I hacked up a little Perl script to reboot it nightly through the telnet
interface.

Regards,
Peter

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Net::Telnet ();
use strict;
use warnings;

my $t = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => 10, Port => 23, Prompt => '/\>/' );

$t->open("vigor");
$t->waitfor('/Password:/');
$t->print("secret\n");