PDA

View Full Version : Playing all sound from the computer to the Slim

odinsdream
2007-02-17, 21:07
I'd like to know if anyone has worked out a way to use the Slim device as a general output for all the sound coming from the computer.

I've got a Mac, and the SoundFlower driver allows you to redirect sound inside the system. For instance, I was able to record some radio shows by having Audacity "listen" to the SoundFlower output, which I set as the default system output in lieu of my physical speakers.

Would it be possible to redirect all output the the SlimServer, which is running on the same machine?

If so - what's involved?

peterw
2007-02-20, 20:05
I'd like to know if anyone has worked out a way to use the Slim device as a general output for all the sound coming from the computer.

I've got a Mac, and the SoundFlower driver allows you to redirect sound inside the system. For instance, I was able to record some radio shows by having Audacity "listen" to the SoundFlower output, which I set as the default system output in lieu of my physical speakers.

Would it be possible to redirect all output the the SlimServer, which is running on the same machine?

If so - what's involved?

This should be possible -- see my post in the General forum about my setup:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=182120#post182120

You'd feed the SoundFlower output to an encoder like DarkIce which would feed the stream to Icecast. The Icecast main page will give you an "Internet Radio" URL that your Squeezeboxes can tune in to.

-Peter