PDA

View Full Version : squeezebox without slimserver

jffkm
2007-02-17, 11:31
I apologize if this has been answered (i did a search of the forums and found initialized threads but no solutions to the same question).

I was wondering whether there is an app that can quickly setup an ad-hoc network to the squeezebox to "preview" tracks on a squeezebox without having to first add to the library and rescan, etc. I think this would be useful for tracks that you don't necessarily want to permanently add to your collection but to, for instance, listen to a few samples/clips through your existing hifi setup (i.e. sb3-system).

I'm a composer and do my mixing and mastering on a pair of nearfield monitors but I'd like to temporarily preview the tracks on my hifi system to see how the mixing translates on normal speakers without having to add the clip to my library, rescan, listen, delete, and rescan again. any suggestions? this would be a cool feature to add if you are running it from a comp with a GUI (vs a nas, etc.). thanks in advance guys.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 11:37
You can quickly add tracks without rescanning by using Browse Music Folder. Just point to them and you can add them to your playlist immediately.

peter
2007-02-17, 11:38
jffkm wrote:
> I apologize if this has been answered (i did a search of the forums and
> found initialized threads but no solutions to the same question).
>
> I was wondering whether there is an app that can quickly setup an
> ad-hoc network to the squeezebox to "preview" tracks on a squeezebox
> without having to first add to the library and rescan, etc. I think
> this would be useful for tracks that you don't necessarily want to
> permanently add to your collection but to, for instance, listen to a
> few samples/clips through your existing hifi setup (i.e. sb3-system).
>

Use browse 'Music folder' for that. The tracks *will* get added to the
library at the same time, though.

> I'm a composer and do my mixing and mastering on a pair of nearfield
> monitors but I'd like to temporarily preview the tracks on my hifi
> system to see how the mixing translates on normal speakers without
> having to add the clip to my library, rescan, listen, delete, and
> rescan again. any suggestions? this would be a cool feature to add if
> you are running it from a comp with a GUI (vs a nas, etc.). thanks in
> advance guys.
>

The mythical SB sound driver could also be useful for this.

Regards,
Peter

Nostromo
2007-02-17, 11:39
You don't have to rescan each time. Just browse the music folder. Put your tracks in a "jffkm" folder.

EDIT: that's weird. After posting my answer, I noticed that Mark had already answered. So my post was immediately bellow Mark's. And when I check back a couple of minutes later, Peter's post got inserted between Mark's and mine.

MrSinatra
2007-02-17, 12:03
re: your edit: thats b/c the email timestamp sets the order.

Nostromo
2007-02-17, 12:30
I know the timestamp says that he posted it before me. What's weird is that his post was displayed on the forum after mine. Maybe it took longer to process.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 12:33
I know the timestamp says that he posted it before me. What's weird is that his post was displayed on the forum after mine. Maybe it took longer to process.

It does take a while for e-mails to go from server to server, and it also takes a while for the e-mail to be converted to a forum post. But once that's done, it's posted by chronological order.

What's truly weird - once these delays caused one of kdf's responses to appear before the question was even asked!

jffkm
2007-02-19, 14:37
awesome, thanks guys. i should have read more in the faq to find that feature. embarrassingly, i've been using a sb and slimserver combo for years and never noticed that. :)