PDA

View Full Version : Why upgrade slimserver? Serious question...

GeorgeE12
2007-02-16, 22:21
A general question about upgrading the slimserver software...

I have four SB3's and am happily running the final release of the 6.3.1 software.

I tried upgrading to 6.5.x a few times in the early days, but ran into so many problems, I decided to hold off for a while....

Now, I'm fairly sure that the latest 6.5.1 official, or the 6.5.2 nightly, is pretty stable, and I can probably try again to upgrade.

But my question is, Why should I? I'm serious...

If all I have are SB3's, and 6.3.1 is working fine for me, should I even bother to upgrade? Can somebody point out the major functional differences between 6.5.x and 6.3.1 that might give me a reason to upgrade?

Like, Does it index my music library faster? Is it more stable? (I'm not having stability problems.) Does it use less memory? (That seems unlikely from what I understand.) Is the web interface noticeably faster?

I'm just curious if 6.5.x actually represents a functional step forward for a user like myself, or if it was just a code re-write which uses a new database.

Thanks for any info,

George

pfarrell
2007-02-16, 22:34
GeorgeE12 wrote:
> Now, I'm fairly sure that the latest 6.5.1 official, or the 6.5.2
> nightly, is pretty stable, and I can probably try again to upgrade.
>
> But my question is, Why should I? I'm serious...
>
> If all I have are SB3's, and 6.3.1 is working fine for me, should I
> even bother to upgrade?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you are happy, why even ask the question? I ran 5.4 for about a year
after the 6.x series servers were out.

Even if it was 50% faster for some particular operation, would that
justify more than a few seconds of upgrade time to you? it sure would
not for me, if I was happy and it was 'working fine'

Upgrade when you need what the upgrade offers. All computer upgrades
have costs, if not in money, then in time and often in aggravation. My
main Windows box ran Windows 2000 up until six months ago, and I only
changed it because the boot disk drive failed.

Even my replacement box, which has had Windows XP on it since I bought
it a couple of years ago, is never going to see Windows Vista.

--
-- toc
-- the old curmudgeon
toc (AT) curmudgeon4 (DOT) us
http://www.curmudgeon4.us/

GeorgeE12
2007-02-16, 22:45
GeorgeE12 wrote:[color=blue]

If you are happy, why even ask the question?

I guess I was just looking for a comprehensive list of what's been changed, added, improved, sped up, etc.

If I don't know what's there, obviously I have no reason to upgrade. But if I know what's new & improved, maybe I might see a reason to go for it...

Thanks though, that attitude has indeed kept me happily at 6.3.1 for quite some time now...

-- George

pfarrell
2007-02-16, 23:19
GeorgeE12 wrote:
> I guess I was just looking for a comprehensive list of what's been
> changed, added, improved, sped up, etc.

http://www.slimdevices.com/Changelog6.html

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Ron Olsen
2007-02-17, 00:10
For the changes in the nightly builds:

http://svn.slimdevices.com/*checkout*/branches/6.5/server/Changelog6.html

GeorgeE12
2007-02-17, 19:33
Thanks folks, those are valuable links. I should have known about the first one, but the one for the nightlies was new to me.

G

MrSinatra
2007-02-17, 22:13
i actually think u'd be fine with 6.5.2

its the first build of SS that i actually don't mind using, and the bugs for me are finally getting smaller. the only issue i can think of right now is for some folks, the slimtray.exe is growing handles for no reason... but thats a minor concern.

i'm not saying u should do it, but i doubt you'd have any issues if u did.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-02-17, 23:09
I used to stay 6 months to a year behind the current version, usually because everything was running smoothly and there was no new feature I wanted badly enough.

Lately I've stayed closer to the bleeding edge, and still have had very few problems.

It sometimes depends strictly on moods. At times, I'm more adventurous or have more spare time.

I guess today was one of those times - I spent most of the day wiping the C drive on my daily system and reinstalling Windows2000. Then I stripped out all the MS nasties (IE, OE, Media Player, Scripting Host, Windows Update, NetMeeting, Chat, etc, etc, etc) and got all the drivers installed and core software installed and configured. This was the longest I've used a Windows installation - almost 4 years - and I've had very little trouble with it until a month ago when I had a general slowdown and couldn't figure out why. Maybe it was just bogged down with too much software and a bulging registry.

Now the system is sweet and fast, and I've got a perfectly tweaked disk image, so anytime I have a serious problem, or just need a refresh, I can re-image the drive and get back to work in an hour.