PDA

View Full Version : slimserver browser interface......winamp?

flanedm
2007-02-15, 20:33
Hi, I'm a new squeezebox3 owner. Love the hardware. Love squeeze network. But using internet browser interface for searching and playing music leaves a lot to be desired. Is that the only way? Is there some way to use winamp, itunes or something else?

Skunk
2007-02-15, 21:16
Hi, I'm a new squeezebox3 owner. Love the hardware. Love squeeze network. But using internet browser interface for searching and playing music leaves a lot to be desired. Is that the only way? Is there some way to use winamp, itunes or something else?

I was browsing by album art today (using default skin), with a friend who buys macintosh stuff sitting next to me, so I asked: does this look better than itunes? His response was [emphatic expletive] yes! Perhaps he just doesn't know how to run iTunes, but he loved the way album art was presented in slimserver. Response time is incredibly quick using localhost and a wired squeezebox here, so that may be an advantage that's not convenient for you.

You should have a search for Moose, an exe. SlimFX is an up and coming skin that you might like http://your_ip:9000/slimfx . There's probably a way to use iTunes as well, but I wouldn't know.

What do you find most lacking about the web interface?

Nostromo
2007-02-15, 21:46
Learn to use the remote, its your best friend. Once you'll get the hang of it, you'll see its the best way to control your Squeezebox. To learn more about the remote, open Slimserver, click on "help" and then on "remote control reference". Some plugins make it even better, plugins like "lazy search" and "song scanner". And don't forget that you can customize the menus to your liking.

Nostromo
2007-02-15, 22:17
I was browsing by album art today (using default skin), with a friend who buys macintosh stuff sitting next to me, so I asked: does this look better than itunes? His response was [emphatic expletive] yes! Perhaps he just doesn't know how to run iTunes, but he loved the way album art was presented in slimserver. Response time is incredibly quick using localhost and a wired squeezebox here, so that may be an advantage that's not convenient for you.

You should have a search for Moose, an exe. SlimFX is an up and coming skin that you might like http://your_ip:9000/slimfx . There's probably a way to use iTunes as well, but I wouldn't know.

What do you find most lacking about the web interface?

The default skin is nice and clean, but I wouldn't say that it looks a lot better than iTunes. The new album view is pretty cool, though. Maybe your friend didn't try the latest iTunes, with full album art support? OTOH, the Nokia skin looks a lot better than iTunes. Too bad it was designed for small screens. I'm still waiting for a version for computer monitors.

mherger
2007-02-16, 00:26
> The default skin doesn't look particularly nice. The Nokia skin looks
> pretty sexy, though.

Tastes differ :-).

> Too bad it was designed for small screens. I'm
> still waiting for a version for computer monitors.

I guess you tried Touch - what's wrong with it on your monitor'

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Nostromo
2007-02-16, 01:17
Look at my edited post. :)

I'm currently using Fishbone. Its the best skin overall, but I don't like the color scheme. Too dark, IMO. Actually, I prefer the default skin's color scheme. OTOH, the default skin reminds me too much of a spreadsheet. Instead of using the words like "play" or "skip", it would be nice if they used nice icons instead.

On the aesthetic level, Touch and Nokia are the best looking skins. I'm sure they're great on a Nokia, but, on a monitor, they're a huge waste of screen space. For example, those huge icons are usefull on a tablet, but on a monitor, they're too big for nothing.

Diana
2007-02-16, 04:44
I'm currently using Fishbone. Its the best skin overall, but I don't like the color scheme. Too dark, IMO.

Try the Tan version - it's beautiful: clean, bright and clear. Just click Help on the left panel - the switch for the Fishbone tan skin is at the bottom of the Help list.

flanedm
2007-02-16, 10:25
hey, great to get so many respones, thx! In hindsight I can see I should have been more specific. What I like about winamp/itunes is :
1) you can scroll thru the whole library with a scroll bar
2) you can sort with one clic ie. by artist, song, etc
3) quick filtering searches ie. "b" gives all songs starting with that letter as soon as you type the letter in the search box

ultimately, I don't like the post/reply process of an internet browser

ps I'm at work and haven't tried the recommended plugins yet

Nostromo
2007-02-16, 17:05
Maybe one day we'll have a web interface as responsive and as intuitive as iTunes or Winamp or Windows media player. But it sounds like hard work. In the meantime, if you use a Mac, there's an Apple script that allows you to control Slimserver with iTunes. If you're on Windows, there are also Windows clients. There's Slimremote, by mherger. And there's Moose, by doctor Lovejoy. I haven't tried them, so I'm not sure if they have what you want.

Nostromo
2007-02-16, 17:10
Try the Tan version - it's beautiful: clean, bright and clear. Just click Help on the left panel - the switch for the Fishbone tan skin is at the bottom of the Help list.

Yes, I tried it before. It looks OK, but its nothing a tough guy like me would use ;-)

Skunk
2007-02-17, 10:17
Wake me up when there's a holographic interface.

Consumer electronics seem like a much safer test bed than heads up displays in cars. Some people can't even park, let alone interface simultaneously ;-)

http://www.holotouch.com/technology.html

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 10:34
If you're on Windows, there are also Windows clients. There's Slimremote, by mherger. And there's Moose, by doctor Lovejoy.

There's also SlimFX and FatGooey, both of which are very fast.

Nostromo
2007-02-17, 12:21
There's also SlimFX and FatGooey, both of which are very fast.

Just installed SlimFX. Wow!!! I'm really jazzed up about this one.