PDA

View Full Version : Same Allbum Title Different Artist Problems

skieswideopen
2007-02-15, 17:27
Hi there.

It seems there is a bit of a problem when using the Album views when there are more than one albums with the same title that go with different artists.

For example. Both Queen and Ry Cooder have the album title "Jazz". And you can only imagine how many artists have an album called "Greatest Hits".

What happens is when viewing the albums in order of "Artist, Year, Album", all the albums with the same name will only appear under one of the artists listings. The albums DO appear correctly if I click on an artist and look at their albums. It just doesn't work in this one particular view.

Any ideas? Note, I've painstakingly checked the tags. And have wiped and recreated the library from scratch.

My particulars:

XP, SS 6.5.2 and iTunes.

Squeeze on!

Mark

MrSinatra
2007-02-17, 11:34
thats interesting...

a workaround i came up with was to add the band name to the tag, so "Greatest Hits (Molly Hatchet)"

i did this for winamp though, i hadn't noticed the behavior in SS yet, b/c it has a lot of strange behaviors in how it handles and calculates tags.

snarlydwarf
2007-02-17, 11:52
For example. Both Queen and Ry Cooder have the album title "Jazz". And you can only imagine how many artists have an album called "Greatest Hits".

In my collection that seems to be "Acústico MTV"... but whatever...

What happens is when viewing the albums in order of "Artist, Year, Album", all the albums with the same name will only appear under one of the artists listings. The albums DO appear correctly if I click on an artist and look at their albums. It just doesn't work in this one particular view.

Are your albums in different directories?

I have ../Brazil/Rita Lee/Acustico MTV/ and ../Brazil/Cidade Negra/Acustico MTV, etc.. and they are seen as different albums. (And yes, I checked artist/year/album order).

This is a change from 6.3, where you had to "teach" the server what the "common album names" were, in 6.5 it should figure it out if they are in different directories.

skieswideopen
2007-02-17, 13:46
Files were in different directories, with different artist names and even different Album artist names. And out of say 10 greatest hits albums, some would display independently (as they should) and others would combine.

In the end, I thought I would forgoe any further frustration but just renaming the albums "Greatest Hits: James Taylor", "Greatest Hits: Al Green", etc. It's a cop-out, but I want to listen to music. Not spend hours solving problems!

Squeeze On!

Mark

snarlydwarf
2007-02-17, 13:52
Files were in different directories, with different artist names and even different Album artist names. And out of say 10 greatest hits albums, some would display independently (as they should) and others would combine.

In the end, I thought I would forgoe any further frustration but just renaming the albums "Greatest Hits: James Taylor", "Greatest Hits: Al Green", etc. It's a cop-out, but I want to listen to music. Not spend hours solving problems!

Weird: are they imported from iTunes? I wonder if that is what is confusing it. (I dont think it would, but then I don't use iTunes...)