PDA

View Full Version : OK - problem already...

Mitch
2007-02-15, 15:25
Hi chaps;

Got my Squeezebox on Tuesday; it's now Thursday and I've been playing with it far too much for my own good, so my wife keeps telling me. Firstly, excellent product - one of those 'how did I manage without this' items...

However, I probably have been playing too much, as I seem to have broken Slimserver already. When I try and run from my desktop (windows XP) it comes up with an error "Starting SlimServer Failed. Please see the Event Viewer & Contact Support". I can start it from the taskbar, but only when my Squeezebox is on. Any ideas where I can find the Event Viewer?

The problem seemed to establish itself when I tried to use Internet Radio before registering with SqueezeNetwork. I've done that now...

Any help would be appreciated; please bear in mind I'm more of an Audio guy than computer guy!

Ta.

Mitch

ChrisNY
2007-02-15, 15:37
To get to the event viewer in XP, open the Control Panel, then open Administrative Tools. Within that folder is the Event Viewer application. It has selections on the left for various items. I would imagine the Application or System section would be most relevant. Scroll through the list and look for anything noted as Error in the type column.

-ChrisNY

Mitch
2007-02-15, 15:52
OK - thanks Chris!

I'll give it a go.

Mitch

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-16, 11:01
The problem seemed to establish itself when I tried to use Internet Radio before registering with SqueezeNetwork. I've done that now...

That shouldn't have affected SlimServer. Does SlimServer have Internet access through your firewall? It needs Internet Access if you want to play Internet radio through it, but I think there are cases where if your firewall blocks SlimServer from accessing the Internet when you try to access Internet radio, SlimServer crashes on startup.

Note: this does not mean SlimServer needs Internet access at all times, it means it needs Internet access if you want Internet radio. It was probably trying to connect to the streams in your playlist, and if it can't, crash!

Mitch
2007-02-19, 09:26
Hmm, the internet radio seems to work OK; certainly through Squeezenetwork. If I try to connect through the 'internet radio' section of Slimserver from the Squeezebox it tries to connect (comes up with a rotating series of dots...) but halts there. I can't go back, and have to go onto the PC to move it on from there. Perhaps this is a firewall issue; I'll look into it.

I don't think this is related to my 'won't start from desktop' problem though.(?)

Thanks for your advice, Mark - I'll keep you updated if I crack it.

Chris - I've sent my log files onto support, and have a query open with them; again I'll update you if I get this sorted.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-19, 18:12
Perhaps this is a firewall issue; I'll look into it.

It does sound like SlimServer is being denied outside access.

I don't think this is related to my 'won't start from desktop' problem though.(?)

I seem to recall one other thread where SlimServer crashed when it was denied outside access - all I can think of is: you have some Internet radio URLs loaded into Now Playing. You try to start SlimServer up, SlimServer tries to connect to those streams, can't, and crashes. It shouldn't, and this is just a guess on my part, but this is an unexpected case - you have Internet radio URLs loaded but SlimServer is blocked from accessing them.

Also note that SlimServer can be set to check for new versions. If it's blocked, it should just ignore the request, but maybe not.