PDA

View Full Version : Q on wired / wireless connection from server to router

hunta
2007-02-15, 06:42
Recently, following recommendations in the forum, I amended my network set up so that the server is wired to the router, rather than relying on the wireless network.

However, it seems that the only way the Squeezebox can connect is to leave the wireless connection on the PC enabled, which implies that it's using that rather than the ethernet.

Am I missing something? The router is a Netgear Wireless ADSL DG834G.

Many thanks.

Andrew

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-15, 08:29
Is the PC wired to the router? Does it have both a wired connection and a wireless connection? If so you'll need to play around with network settings and Internet Connection Sharing or bridging settings to get it to send traffic over the wired connection first.

If the PC is wireless only, you won't be receiving the full benefit of wiring the SB to the router, although it's better than both router and SB wireless. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign

hunta
2007-02-16, 05:42
Is the PC wired to the router? Does it have both a wired connection and a wireless connection?

The PC is wired to the router, the SBs are wireless. It has both wired and wireless connections. If I knock out the wireless connection I can still access the web (i.e. the wired connection to the router is fine) but the SBs drop out.

iwp
2007-02-16, 05:58
The PC is wired to the router, the SBs are wireless. It has both wired and wireless connections. If I knock out the wireless connection I can still access the web (i.e. the wired connection to the router is fine) but the SBs drop out.

Your PC's wireless and wired ports will have different IP and MAC addresses - perhaps the Squeezeboxes are still trying to connect to the wireless ports? With the PC's wireless connection disabled, try resetting the Squeezeboxes (hold down power button, or remove and reconnect power). Then go through the Squeezebox configuration process and reselect your server.

Cheers,

Ian

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-16, 10:45
Your PC's wireless and wired ports will have different IP and MAC addresses - perhaps the Squeezeboxes are still trying to connect to the wireless ports? With the PC's wireless connection disabled, try resetting the Squeezeboxes (hold down power button, or remove and reconnect power). Then go through the Squeezebox configuration process and reselect your server.

Yes, you've got to point your Squeezebox to the PC's wired IP address.

Is there a reason you're using the PC's wireless connection? Best just disable it. It's probably interfering with your router's wireless communication.

hunta
2007-02-17, 02:31
Is there a reason you're using the PC's wireless connection? Best just disable it. It's probably interfering with your router's wireless communication.

That's exactly what I was trying to do and was posting that I couldn't get to work! I've rebooted everything and it seems to have sorted itself out, so thanks to all for helping out.

Cheers.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 08:00
That's exactly what I was trying to do and was posting that I couldn't get to work!

Oh OK, it looked like you couldn't get your Squeezebox to switch between the PC and the router.