PDA

View Full Version : Running SlimServer as "service" on Mac

Juggler
2007-02-14, 20:19
I am investigating the use of a Mac Mini as my SlimServer (and Asterisk, and CalDav, and...). One question I have is can I run SlimServer (or any other program) as the Windows equivalent of a "service". i.e. Can SlimServer run without have a user logged in?

cheers,
J.

danco
2007-02-15, 01:02
I don't think so. But why would you want to?

Jungle
2007-02-15, 08:42
I am investigating the use of a Mac Mini as my SlimServer (and Asterisk, and CalDav, and...). One question I have is can I run SlimServer (or any other program) as the Windows equivalent of a "service". i.e. Can SlimServer run without have a user logged in?

cheers,
J.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question but, if it's any help, I run SlimServer on a Mac Mini running OS X and I don't need to be logged in for SlimServer to run. I *think* that's what you're trying to do and, if so, the answer is yes. Your reference to Windows makes me think you may not be running OS X though...

Juggler
2007-02-15, 17:51
Yes, that is what I'm asking. From what you're saying, SlimServer runs when a Mac is booted -- you don't actually have to log-in as a user. Is that the case?

From a broader perspective, can you do the same thing with other applications? e.g. could you have a FTP or web server run without being logged in when the Mac is first booted?

danco
2007-02-16, 01:39
So I was wrong in saying it couldn't be done.

In the SlimServer preference pane there are three option for automatic start, namely "never", "when I log in", and "when system boots" which is the option you want.

As for doing it with other programs, they mostly will not have this particular option. You can make a program run when you login, using the Accounts preference pane.

Because of the Unix underpinnings of OS X, I would guess that it is possible to do what you want by juggling with Terminal, creating a shell script, etc, but I don't know how to do it.

Though I still wonder why you want to do this, and whether what you want could not be as well achieved by another method. Perhaps if you explain your needs we could come up with an easy solution. One thing that occurs to me, but might not be what you want, is to set up a user with automatic login (possibly with restricted access to programs) and then just set programs to start at login.

dbwat
2007-02-18, 19:29
ftp, ssh, http (webserver), slimserver all run as 'services' that don't require a user to log in.

After you turn the services on, go to Accounts --> Login options, make sure to DEselect "Automatically log in as ..." and that should get you where you're going.

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-02-18, 20:22
>Can SlimServer run without have a user logged in?

Yes. My ancient iMac is doing this right now.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-02-18, 20:23
>From a broader perspective, can you do the same thing with other
>applications? e.g. could you have a FTP or web server run without being
>logged in when the Mac is first booted?

Yes.

(Insert the appropriate warnings regarding security risks running
thise services on any platform entails, of course.)

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.