PDA

View Full Version : SB Wireless Problems

norderney
2007-02-14, 16:45
I have a SB1 currently running on SlimServer 6.3.1.

I have recently bought a new Dell PC - Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66GHZ with 3GB RAM which runs Windows Vista Ultimate.

On connecting the new PC up, initially I had great difficulty getting my SB1 to connect to my wireless network. However, after rebooting SB1 many times and downgrading from 6.5.1 to 6.3.1, I eventually got it working. However over the last 48 hours the SB1 has developed an intermittent "stutter". When playing music, it will stop about 3 or 4 times for about 2 or 3 seconds on each occasion.

I have been running my SB1 for about 2.5 years without any problems. I use a Netgear Wireless ADSL DG834G. I have already done a factory reset on the Netgear router, but this has not made any difference.

I the wireless signal strength on my SB1 varies from 45% to 52%. Is this an acceptable level?

Could Windows Vista be causing some conflict with the Netgear Router?

I have noticed that the ethernet port light on the Netgear Router which is connected to my PC is constantly flashing even though my SB1 is not being used at the moment.

The Netgear Wireless ADSL DG834G work at 54Mbps. Would a 108Mbps Wireless Router be any better.

norderney
2007-02-15, 01:36
On further testing I have discovered that the "stutter" only happens when I play a FLAC file. MP3 files seem to play ok without any problems.

So could this be a problem with my Wireless Router or a problem with Windows Vista? It was working ok even with FLAC files for the first couple of days since installing Windows Vista, but for the last 2 days or so this "stutter" occurs EVERYTIME I play a FLAC file!!!!!!

Any ideas please?

ceejay
2007-02-15, 03:34
IIRC an SB1 doesn't decode FLAC but will decode WAV - so those FLAC files are presumeably being transcoded to WAV on the server. While this does put an extra load on the server its unlikely to be a problem unless it is already very busy (have you looked at "performance" in Task Manager?).

But usually when someone can play MP3 but not FLAC/WAV its a wireless bandwidth or interference problem (WAV at 1411 kbits vs MP3 at 192 or whatever). You could verify this by switching temporarily to a wired connection.

A 108Mbits router isn't, I think, likely to make a difference, 54 is plenty but you are obviously not getting that.

Might there be a new source of interference nearby? Try a different channel on the wireless.

And yes, the network light will flash all the time that the SB has power to it, it is always communicating with the server even if not playing.

HTH
Ceejay

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-15, 07:57
Might there be a new source of interference nearby? Try a different channel on the wireless.

That's the most likely reason. The SB1 operates at 802.11b speeds. Sending WAV (transcoded FLAC) at 1411 kbps to it should work under ideal conditions, but with its small buffer, it would be tricky at longer ranges. 45-52% signal strength is borderline.

A "108 Mbps" router, which is non-standard, wouldn't even help the SB2/3/Transporter which operates at 802.11g speeds, let alone the SB1 which operates at 802.11b speeds.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide Also try the network tests in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues