PDA

View Full Version : How does "new Music" update?

Peter Callius
2007-02-14, 16:21
One of my prefered way of using my SB is to browse the music library and the to press "new music" and then in theory I would get an update of the latest music that has been added.

Problem is that I just canīt figure out when an album I just added will be visible under "new music".

It does not seem to get updated very often - have I got anyting wrong here?...should I update it myself?

Please advice:-)

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-14, 16:29
It should update on every rescan, adding files added or changed since the last rescan.

If you're using a tag editor, these can be set to alter the tags but not change the modification date on the file, so these would be missed. But you may not want to see music whose tags have merely been changed along with new music.

JJZolx
2007-02-14, 16:39
One of my prefered way of using my SB is to browse the music library and the to press "new music" and then in theory I would get an update of the latest music that has been added.

Problem is that I just canīt figure out when an album I just added will be visible under "new music".

It does not seem to get updated very often - have I got anyting wrong here?...should I update it myself?

You need to rescan after you've added new music. SlimServer doesn't 'see' anything until it has scanned the files and added data about them into its library.

Peter Callius
2007-02-14, 16:40
I have a rather large library...and as soon as I add an album and then look after it by browsing in the music catalouge it is there...but it will most often not appear in the new music mode...

Is there a way I can update and scan for new additions...

Many thanks for your reply mark

JJZolx
2007-02-14, 16:48
I have a rather large library...and as soon as I add an album and then look after it by browsing in the music catalouge it is there...but it will most often not appear in the new music mode...

Is there a way I can update and scan for new additions...

Many thanks for your reply mark

Other than browsing the music folder, rescanning is the only way. If you use the option 'Look for new and changed music' it's a lot faster than doing a full 'Clear library and rescan everything' type of scan.

Like scanning, browse music folder _should_ cause those new albums to appear in New Music. One thing you need to know is that New Music uses the file modification times in order to sort entries. If you add something new, but the files have old dates on them, then they won't appear at the top of the New Music list. One way to fix that would be to use a tag editor and update the files, with or without making changes to the tags, which should give the files current timestamps.

Peter Callius
2007-02-14, 16:53
I rarely use anything but the wireless control but now i found the Rescan button on the computer...My CPU is running a 100 now and seem to be working quite hard...

It is however a mystery how anything has shown in "new music" earlier since I never used the rescan button earlier...

Peter Callius
2007-02-14, 17:00
Jim your latest answer explains why the "new" album appears in the music folder but not in "new music".

have to admit that the whole tagging business is a bit of a mystery to me - but I guess this gives me a reason to retag 500 gb f music:-)

many thanks for patience and replies

Peter

Studio_Two
2007-03-17, 11:11
Do I have to rescan manually every time I add new music - or will the server eventually "find" the new tracks without my intervention?

Is there some sort of "background scan" that I can configure?

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-17, 14:09
Do I have to rescan manually every time I add new music - or will the server eventually "find" the new tracks without my intervention?

No, it will never find the files on its own. You must browse to them using Browse Music Folder or rescan.

Is there some sort of "background scan" that I can configure?

I believe you can schedule automatic rescans to run at a set time using some of the latest versions.

snarlydwarf
2007-03-18, 01:09
Autorescan has been around for ages.

I have it rescan every night at 3am or something. I do a full wipe-scan then, just in case there were a lot of changed tags: it works better to wipe first since that ensures old tags get deleted.

Of course, that means leaving the server on at odd hours, but mine does more than slimserver these days so thats not a big deal.