PDA

View Full Version : DVBShout

DynamicalSystem
2007-02-14, 08:02
I am getting bored of the internet Five Live radio stream being a minute out of date, and the footie (soccer) matches being screened out because of licensing problems.

I am contemplating putting a DVB card into a dedicated media server box, and using DVBShout to stream the freeview radio stations to my squeezeboxen.

Does anyone have any experience in getting this to work? Is it easy to select the channels from the Squeezeboxen? Is it reliable?

Any information gratefully recieved.

DS

funkstar
2007-02-15, 14:24
There will probably still be some delay caused by the SB buffering the stream before playing it.

florca
2007-02-15, 14:54
I've had this up and running for a while now, with generally good results. My setup is:

Old HP Vectra VL400 (Pentium 3 733Mhz, built like a tank, very quiet)
Ubuntu "Edgy" Server
Slimserver 6.5.1
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
Icecast
DVBShout

Things you may want to think about are that:

a) DVBShout will only stream multiple stations within a SINGLE multiplex - so on DVB-T (Freeview) you have to choose a subset of BBC stations if that's what you're looking for. If the stations you want are all in the same multiplex then you're fine, and channel changing is almost instantaneous. If you need the full range of BBC stations then an alternative (not tried..) would be to use a Nova-S card and satellite dish, where all are broadcast within a single multiplex on Astra 2D (I think..).

b) The current release version of DVBShout (0.2) doesn't cope very well with any signal dropouts or blips. If you pull the latest SVN source and compile then it is much more forgiving and (my experience) totally stable.

c) The Squeezebox doesn't support multicast, so you need to use DVBShout in conjunction with Icecast to get a useable stream.

d) If you are looking for a wider range of UK stations then the other alternative is to find an old Wavefinder on eBay and use (on Windows only) with DABBar. This combination will happily change between channels across multiplexes. The disadvantage is that the DAB bitrates are lower than DVB-S or DVB-T and the hardware can be more tempramental.

However, DVB-S DVB-T or DAB will all sound MUCH better than the low bitrate Real Audio or Windows Media BBC Internet streams!

I won't pretend that the whole DVBShout setup was completely straightforward to install, but it was my first experience of Linux and quite an interesting challenge. My next thought is to add Streamripper to the mix to record favourite shows in high quality as a complement to AlienBBC / Listen Again.

Good luck!

Phil

florca
2007-02-16, 04:00
In answer to your question about channel selection -

Several ways to do this, but I've put the URL for each available channel (station) into a single "BBC Radio" playlist, from where they can be selected by number from the remote - just like presets on a normal tuner. You could also put them into Favourites if more convenient.

There are other solutions to streaming entire DVB multiplexes instead of DVBShout - VLC under Linux should work, as might a program called "GetStream" which can be found at http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/projects/streaming/ . DVBShout was simply the first one I tried and has worked well for me.

DynamicalSystem
2007-02-18, 16:12
Thanks, Phil.