PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox RIP..?

w4rren
2007-02-13, 12:01
I came home yesterday, turned on the PC running SlimServer, and got no response from the Squeezebox. I tried to turn it on with the remote, tried pressing the ‘add’ button while plugging in, pressing the ‘brightness’ button and pressing the ‘left’ button five times (all recommended - on the forum) – this seemed a little futile as it doesn’t appear to be drawing any power from the supply. I also changed the batteries in the remote, just in case.

I have e-mailed support, but have yet to receive a reply in the allotted 24hrs, so am less hopeful of a solution there. Is the support generally quite good?

I have been using the Squeezebox for one glorious week since it arrived, and until it died was delighted with it and was considering buying another.

What are the possible causes? Is there anything else I can test? Is there a fuse in the power supply?

Warren

azinck3
2007-02-13, 12:29
I came home yesterday, turned on the PC running SlimServer, and got no response from the Squeezebox. I tried to turn it on with the remote, tried pressing the ‘add’ button while plugging in, pressing the ‘brightness’ button and pressing the ‘left’ button five times (all recommended - on the forum) – this seemed a little futile as it doesn’t appear to be drawing any power from the supply. I also changed the batteries in the remote, just in case.

I have e-mailed support, but have yet to receive a reply in the allotted 24hrs, so am less hopeful of a solution there. Is the support generally quite good?

I have been using the Squeezebox for one glorious week since it arrived, and until it died was delighted with it and was considering buying another.

What are the possible causes? Is there anything else I can test? Is there a fuse in the power supply?

Warren

Support is generally good. Not sure why you've not heard from them via email, but you might try giving them a call. You're well within your warranty period, so I'm sure they'll make it right with you. My experience (and I think the preponderance of evidence) shows SBs to be generally quite reliable so it sounds like you just had some bad luck.

tyler_durden
2007-02-13, 12:43
Check your junk mail folder- they may have responded to you but your spam filter may have trashed it.

TD

Rick B.
2007-02-13, 12:50
Have you checked to make sure that Slimserver is running? every once in a while when I boot up it does not run, even though I have told it to run automatically on boot up.

w4rren
2007-02-13, 12:58
Yeah, I received an auto-response so it’s not my mail filtering – used to checking that as its gmail – they do send a lot into the junk folder. I suppose I will have to be patient if there's nothing else to try. Does it get shipped back to Slim Devices or the seller (amazon)?

w4rren
2007-02-13, 13:01
I can log in to slimserver - it says SB not found. Router and server etc all running ok. I even unplugged all the cabling and went in to another room to test if it was the socket.. no joy

Ur[s]uS
2007-02-14, 02:57
I can log in to slimserver - it says SB not found. Router and server etc all running ok. I even unplugged all the cabling and went in to another room to test if it was the socket.. no joy

When you unplugged SB3 and brought it to another room, what should happen is that after plugging in - the screen displays logos for Slim Devices and Squeezebox 3 - if the device has been connected to network before, it will after a few seconds get IP address and await your Power On instruction (from remote or server website).

If that did not happen, there is a power line issue (sick socket, sick plug, sick unit).

If you had left it in the room where it had worked the previous 7 days, I would have suggested you check the IP address of the slimserver computer. If the IP address of the slimserver computer changes, once Power On is pressed, the SB3 attempts to connect, but collapses into what looks like turned off. All you need to do is Power On, left arrow (so it starts connecting process) and then right arrow back to connect (it seems to find the server again if there is only one broadcasting).

Where are you based? If near me in Ireland, I could lend you a plug for testing !

w4rren
2007-02-14, 05:30
Hi Ur[s]uS, what you’ve said sounds interesting, as I had changed the IP of the server running slim. I have now had a reply from support, and they have recommended I send it back to the supplier and get another. I had already filled out all the information and had packed it up (still had original packaging), and was about to send it back this morning.

Here’s what I have just tried:

. . > Server on, router on; checked slim running via webpage

. . > Connected Squeezebox to the network, plugged it in

. . > Powered on with remote, pressed left, then right

Unfortunately, at this stage ^, nothing happens. Perhaps it was coincidence as it does seem to be a power issue. I would imagine just plugging it in and pressing the remote I’d get some response? Thanks for the offer of the power unit (and the ideas), I am in southern England, but I think I will just send it back to the supplier as they have already agreed to ship one.

As I said in the original post I was chuffed to bits with the Squeezebox and hopefully I just got unlucky. But in the meantime (6 week delivery last time) I guess its back to the mp3 player…

Ur[s]uS
2007-02-18, 11:15
Hi Ur[s]uS, what you’ve said sounds interesting, as I had changed the IP of the server running slim. I have now had a reply from support, and they have recommended I send it back to the supplier and get another. I had already filled out all the information and had packed it up (still had original packaging), and was about to send it back this morning.

Here’s what I have just tried:

. . > Server on, router on; checked slim running via webpage

. . > Connected Squeezebox to the network, plugged it in

. . > Powered on with remote, pressed left, then right

Unfortunately, at this stage ^, nothing happens. Perhaps it was coincidence as it does seem to be a power issue. I would imagine just plugging it in and pressing the remote I’d get some response? Thanks for the offer of the power unit (and the ideas), I am in southern England, but I think I will just send it back to the supplier as they have already agreed to ship one.

As I said in the original post I was chuffed to bits with the Squeezebox and hopefully I just got unlucky. But in the meantime (6 week delivery last time) I guess its back to the mp3 player…

Am glad support has come to rescue, so to speak. If you are plugging SB3 in and out, you should get Slim and SB3 logos each and every time. At least then, you can narrow down to "other" issues. Good luck.