PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Gallery Thumbnails Broken in 6.5.1

skieswideopen
2007-02-13, 11:52
Gallery Thumbnails worked under 6.3.1. Now under 6.5.1 it is very undependable!

After restarts, reboots, reinstalls, rescans, wipes, deleted caches, and every other conceivable effort, I have given up.

6.5.1 is broken and I see no indication that it is planning on being fixed because I don't see anything approaching the acknowledgement of a product problem.

I used the iTunes library, and my artwork is embedded in the MP3s. Nothing has changed except the version of SlimServer.

All threads I have seen here with regard to gallery views seem to mention deleting caches (done that), rescanning (done that and creating cover.jpgs, etc. But I don't want to do that! My artwork is in my MP3s and that's where it was when it WORKED under 6.3.1

I even found it worked if I turned slim server off and did it from the command line - see anothe post of mine - search on "thumbnail woes"), but nothing stops SlimServer service from screwing my thumbnails up. Next morning, boom. Back to thumbnail square one.

My advice is, if you use the iTunes library, and like your gallery views, do NOT upgrade to 6.5.1 until you see a clear reference to it on a fix list or clear instructions on how to get them working properly.

Squeeze on!

thepainter
2007-02-13, 14:37
AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH, too late I just found that out. I actually have a mixture of embedded art and cover.jpg in Folders which worked previously but has now misteriously disappeared. I just don't have the time now to trouble shoot right now.

MrSinatra
2007-02-13, 14:46
did u try 6.5.2?

does SS quit, or does it just not show you all the artwork?

thepainter
2007-02-13, 15:02
No, haven't tried 6.5.2. Slimserver runs fine just no artwork. I have found though that any new albums added seem to have the artwork available. I think I've learned a lesson - if everything works don't upgrade ( I can't help myself though :)) WHY,WHY,WHY ME!!!! I'm sure it will all work out in the end..........until the next upgrade...... that's me "bleeding edge" never fails.

skieswideopen
2007-02-13, 15:32
I wish I didn't have to upgrade. Sadly I have to! Because the Rhapsody service Firmware upgrade to squeezebox isn't compatible with 6.3.1.

thepainter
2007-02-13, 23:54
6.5.2 did it for me - Thanks................resist the urge to upgrade, resist the urge to upgrade, resist the urge to upgrade, resist the urge to upgrade,

skieswideopen
2007-02-14, 15:56
Hey there...wasn't quite clear. When you say 6.5.2 'did it for you', do you mean it fixed the problem?

The messages seems ambiguous. Sounds like it fixed the problem but then you say resist upgrading!

Mark

thepainter
2007-02-14, 17:52
Sorry Mark, Yes it did fix the problem. I upgraded and did a clear and rescan and now all my album art is showing up again. the 'resist the urge' is my reminder now if everything is working fine for me in 6.5.2 to just leave it as is. I have seen a couple of posts here with some folks still on 5.x.x and they seem HAPPY. Therefore........resit the urge, resit the urge,resit the urge,resit the urge. :)

neilcoburn
2007-02-15, 02:00
6.5.2 didn't do it for me. Supposedly 'bad artwork' caused SS to crash in gallery view. (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32473)

What did work for me was deleting all embedded artwork (easy to do using MP3Tag) and relying only on the cover.jpg 's in each album directory.

skieswideopen
2007-02-15, 17:05
Fortunately I had preserved a copy of my 6.3.1 installation. After restoring that and upgrading directly to 6.5.2, my thumbnails are now working again. I have performed several scans and they are back! Woo hoo.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-16, 16:46
You're aware that old versions are at http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads ? Just in case you have to do something like this again.

Also it's a good thing it's working for you, because going from pre-6.5 to 6.5+ without uninstalling first can lead to issues.

Nostromo
2007-02-16, 16:55
I thought they fixed that problem in 6.5.1. That's why I waited for the final version of 6.5.1 before bothering with album art. Or is this problem specific to iTunes users?