PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer a playlist to another machine?

Kyle
2007-02-12, 13:34
I've got two Squeezeboxes using different PC's. I use external hard drives to backup my music files and share them between the two PC's. Paylists don't appear to be compatible. I guess this is because a playlist created on one machine uses that machine's database address for music files. Is there a way to share playlists among several servers?

snarlydwarf
2007-02-12, 13:54
Playlists should be compatible: the trick is making sure the pathing is the same. The database doesnt matter: reliance on the database would mean playlists would get crunched every rescan.

Kyle
2007-02-13, 11:10
Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have Slimserver running on my computer at home and on my computer at work -- both Windows XP. I have a copy of my home music files on an external hard drive at work. If I copy a playlist I have made at home to the playlist file at work, Slimserver sees it on a rescan, but when I try to load it, it says it is empty. Where am I going wrong here?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-13, 11:40
Are the paths the same?

Kyle
2007-02-13, 12:57
Are the paths the same?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure and don't know how to check. Could you enlighten me? The music files, album folders and artist folders are mirror images, but the overall music folders have different names, and of course they are on different hard drives. Does that help?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-13, 13:15
but the overall music folders have different names

That is precisely the problem. If they were exactly the same the playlists should work.

You can open playlists in any text editor and it should indicate the file paths. .m3u playlists are very simple, they are just text files showing the drive path and the file names. A global search-and-replace of the path text should work. If the paths were identical (the drives had the same name and ended up getting the same drive letter) it should work without any editing at all.

Edit: whoops, for some reason I thought you were using Macs! Ignore my first response.

Kyle
2007-02-13, 13:50
Edit: whoops, for some reason I thought you were using Macs! Ignore what I typed earlier...

No, you were right. Thanks. The drives had different letters and the overall music folders had different names. A simple search and replace did the trick (along with a playlist rescan).

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-13, 13:56
No, you were right. Thanks. The drives had different letters and the overall music folders had different names. A simple search and replace did the trick (along with a playlist rescan).

Good to hear! What I meant was my first response was geared to what little I know about Macs. I later edited it to reflect how it would work on a PC.

Kyle
2007-02-13, 20:48
Good to hear! What I meant was my first response was geared to what little I know about Macs. I later edited it to reflect how it would work on a PC.

Ah, OK. I missed the unedited version. Thanks again.