PDA

View Full Version : How to Solve Gallery Thumbnail Woes

skieswideopen
2007-02-11, 16:31
NOTE: WITHDRAWUING THIS SOLUTION

It is not working after subsquent scans.

Hi all,

I found it tough digging through the multitude of threads about the sudden disappearance of thumbnails after an upgrade to 6.5.1 and subsequent rescan.

I run use iTunes as my mail source for library management so all this talk of 'cover.jpg' etc quickly started to confound me. My music directories have no such files in them. All the artwork lives IN THE MP3 files themselves!

Also, all I know was, it worked like a charm until I went to 6.5.1 and then all my thumbnails were replaced by the slimserver question mark with grey background placeholder.

I tried deleting the cache in artwork, multiple restarts and wipe and rescans through the interface, standing on my head, prayers, conversions to other religions and more prayer and in the end all I got was frustration and possibly an angry divine being or two.

Because I have a library that is nothing short of massive, rescanning is time consuming (30-45 minutes), CPU draining and in general not something i wanted to mess with while experimenting time after time.

After much digging I finally found a thread with a command line that most can understand and it worked.

So for us laymen, (USING XP, SlimServer 6.5.1 iTunes ONLY), here's what I did, step-by-step, without a bunch of techie mumbo jumbo, to solve the problem.

1. Disable automated scanning in slim server. You can do this by accessing the SlimServer throught the browser and then:

a) Clicking on Server Settings
b) Selecting iTunes from the options list at the top
c) Setting first field (iTunes Reload Interval) to 0 (zero)
d) Click the Change Button next to the field.

2. Now before you proceed be sure no scan is already running. Just wait however long it normally takes to do a scan or if you know how to, look at the XP task list to make sure that scanner.exe isn't running.

3. Open an XP DOS window. (Start > Run...)

4. Enter the following on ONE LINE (this may appear wrapped) and make sure you preserve the quotes you see:

"c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --d_import --d_scan --d_info --d_itunes --wipe --progress --itunes

OK. Now leave it to run. It will spew out tons of info and could take anything from a few minutes to an hour I guess, depending on how big your library is.

That's it!

Another related Tip:

I never liked the iTunes Reload Frequency setting thingy. I would rather set it to trigger at certain times rather than certain intervals. Because I have a massive collection, it's just not practical. So instead, I've created a batch file with this command and have the NT Task Scheduler running it at 4:00 in the morning every day (or even ever hour if I really want to).

If I am desperate to hear a new addition to my iTunes library immediately, I can still go into the browser and trigger a scan from there for more immediate results.

Hope this helps save someone some frustration!

Mark

kdf
2007-02-11, 16:46
On 11-Feb-07, at 3:31 PM, skieswideopen wrote:
> "c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --d_import --d_scan
> --d_info --d_itunes --wipe --progress --itunes
>
if it is the thumbnails that you want to focus on, I'd add --d_artwork
to that command line as well.

-kdf

skieswideopen
2007-02-11, 22:15
I have to say, with quite a bit of sadness that after running the a rescan from the web interface that once again my beloved thumbnails are gone.

I have to say. I realize there is a community of intensely generous people that contribute to this project. However after ponying up $300 to buy the SqueezeBox, these sorts of issues are really starting to wear thin on my patience.

People who by hifi, don't want to spend hours meddling with software, flipping bits, etc in order to use it.

It just seems to me that clearly with this problem surfacing for so many ONLY when they upgraded to 6.5.1, that a bug has clearly been introduced. And yet, for all the kind advice out there, I don't see anyone saying a patch to the bug is on the way!!

I would like to roll back to 6.3.1 where there was never a problem with artwork but the sorts were horrendous and I get caught in the 'rhapsody firmware loop' if I use it and then use Rhapsody on Squeezenetwork.

Squeeze on,
Mark

skieswideopen
2007-02-12, 11:05
In order to ensure this fix works I HAD TO TURN SLIM SERVER OFF while running the batch file.

If I did it while running it I ran into file open errors near the end of the scan.

2007-02-12 07:25:48.7033 --- Album has composite artist '1707'
2007-02-12 07:25:48.7061 --- Album has composite artist '1707'
2007-02-12 07:25:48.7085 --- Album has composite artist '1707'
94% [====================================== ] 11.06 tracks/sec 00m11s LEFT20
07-02-12 07:25:48.7103 -- VA postcheck for album 'Beautiful Maladies: The Island
Years' (id: [1185])
2007-02-12 07:25:48.7500 ERROR: Error executing 'SELECT me.id, me.url, me.conten
t_type, me.title, me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.tracknum, me.timest
amp, me.filesize, me.disc, me.thumb, me.remote, me.audio, me.audio_size, me.audi
o_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cover, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, m
e.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion,
me.drm, me.moodlogic_id, me.moodlogic_mixable, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.musicb
rainz_id, me.playcount, me.lastplayed, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.rating, me.rep
lay_gain, me.replay_peak, contributorTracks.role, contributorTracks.contributor,
contributorTracks.track FROM tracks me LEFT JOIN contributor_track contributorT
racks ON ( contributorTracks.track = me.id ) WHERE ( ( ( contributorTracks.role
= ? ) AND ( me.album = ? ) ) ) ORDER BY contributorTracks.track': DBD::mysql::st
execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_a04_0.MYI' (Er
rcode: 13) at C:\program files\slimserver\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm
line 771.

2007-02-12 07:25:48.7508 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2007-02-12 07:25:48.7514 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\program files\slimserver\
server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 773)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (C:\program files\slimserver\ser
ver\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 826)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (C:\program files\slimserver\serv
er\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 79)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::next (C:\program files\slimserver
\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 701)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::next (/PerlApp/Slim/Schema.pm line 1210)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::mergeVariousArtistsAlbums (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.
pm line 312)
frame 6: Slim::Music::Import::runScanPostProcessing (scanner.pl line 192)
frame 7: main::__ANON__ (/PerlApp/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 584)
frame 8: (eval) (/PerlApp/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 572)
frame 9: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (scanner.pl line 192)
frame 10: (eval) (scanner.pl line 192)
frame 11: main::main (scanner.pl line 312)

"Err: 13" normally means a file is locked, which suggest that perhaps scanner was also triggered by the slim server and there was a conflict? Not sure. I don't know much about this stuff. I just know I want the darn thing to work :-)

Squeeze on!

Mark

P.S. I'm actually thinking about renaming scanner.exe so it ONLY executes when I want it to through the batch file.

snarlydwarf
2007-02-12, 11:11
DBD::mysql::st
execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_a04_0.MYI' (Er
rcode: 13) at C:\program files\slimserver\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm
line 771.

"Err: 13" normally means a file is locked, which suggest that perhaps scanner was also triggered by the slim server and there was a conflict? Not sure. I don't know much about this stuff. I just know I want the darn thing to work :-)

no, it is most likely cause by your Antivirus software deciding that it needs to scan the .MYI file.

Convince whatever you are using for AV to not scan .MY* files, or to leave that directory alone.

skieswideopen
2007-02-15, 17:08
Fortunately I had preserved my 6.3.1 installation directory. After restoring that and then upgrading to 6.5.2 directly I managed to preserve all upgrades. Several partial and full rescans later, all thumbnails are still preserved.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-02-15, 22:36
One small suggestion, and it pertains to many of us when troubleshooting a problem....

If you have to do a series of rescans to see if proposed fixes are working, it saves a bunch of time if you'll redefine the library so it's a tiny subset of your full library, like one artist or one genre. That way, rescans only take a few seconds. You can immediately see if the problem is solved, and if not try something else and scan again. No need to wait 30+ minutes to see if it worked.

skieswideopen
2007-02-15, 23:50
My library is in iTunes.

I'm not sure how I can limit the rescan to a small subsection of itunes folders, unless going outside of itunes and in that case it's not really testing my setup accurately. If you know a way to do it, please do let me know. (I mean without completely redefining the itunes library too).

Thanks!

neilcoburn
2007-02-16, 02:49
It just seems to me that clearly with this problem surfacing for so many ONLY when they upgraded to 6.5.1, that a bug has clearly been introduced. And yet, for all the kind advice out there, I don't see anyone saying a patch to the bug is on the way!!

I'd second that. Bugs have been filed e.g. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4699
, but progress seems to have stopped. This is very frustrating for many. The suggested fix in the bugzilla report (open and re-save the JPEGs), didn't work for me; deleting all embedded artwork stopped SS actually crashing, but the artwork still doesn't load, or some does and some doesn't randomly. I've tried upgrading to SS 6.5.2, tried deleting cache, etc.

Can someone at SlimDevices please comment on this?

Nazz
2007-05-17, 01:49
Thanks for all the research from you guys. Switching your AV off before doing a scan does the trick. All the coverart is back.

skieswideopen
2007-09-06, 22:52
Thanks for all the research from you guys. Switching your AV off before doing a scan does the trick. All the coverart is back.

Now that I've upgrade to 6.5.4 I've lost my cover art again. I have to say. If SlimServer was a car, we'd all be dead many times over.

May I ask what exactly do you mean by "AV"

Audio visual?

Not sure I understand what you want me to turn off.

davep
2007-09-07, 03:31
May I ask what exactly do you mean by "AV"

Audio visual?

Not sure I understand what you want me to turn off.

AV = Anti Virus

davep

skieswideopen
2007-09-07, 08:30
AV = Anti Virus

davep

First of all, thanks for the help!

I'll try that. But clearly I'll need to have anti-virus on my machine. Hopefully that's a one time solution of some kind?