PDA

View Full Version : Use Squeezebox to control iTunes

nojstevens@mac.com
2007-02-10, 14:06
Hello,

I have googled about to see if anyone has successfully tried to use the Squeezebox interface (and slimserver) to change the playing track in iTunes.

In otherwords, not to use the audio output of the squeezebox at all, or to serve music using slimserver, but instead to use the selected song or playlist to tell iTunes what to play next.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Jon

adamslim
2007-02-10, 14:06
No, I'm baffled. Why?

nojstevens@mac.com
2007-02-10, 14:12
I have used slimserver for some time and have a few squeezeboxes around the house. I also have iTunes connected to airport express that links into the same whole house audio system as the PC running slimserver. I have found that I use iTunes to play music more than slim - the reason being simply it is more reliable - I get frustrated when I select a song in Squeezebox, it plays one song then stops, or when you have friends round and it plays 5 songs then stops for 10 minutes etc etc. But i like the ability to select songs away from the computer. So, it seemed to me a good solution to use the squeezeboxes as a front end for iTunes - not to play DAAP served tunes, but to select a song and have iTunes then play it, not slim. That way, the squeezebox becomes a front end for itunes, not a streamer, but at least a front end.

Jon

DrNic
2007-02-11, 01:59
I have used slimserver for some time and have a few squeezeboxes around the house. I also have iTunes connected to airport express that links into the same whole house audio system as the PC running slimserver. I have found that I use iTunes to play music more than slim - the reason being simply it is more reliable - I get frustrated when I select a song in Squeezebox, it plays one song then stops, or when you have friends round and it plays 5 songs then stops for 10 minutes etc etc. But i like the ability to select songs away from the computer. So, it seemed to me a good solution to use the squeezeboxes as a front end for iTunes - not to play DAAP served tunes, but to select a song and have iTunes then play it, not slim. That way, the squeezebox becomes a front end for itunes, not a streamer, but at least a front end.

Jon

Hi Jon
Whilst I can appreciate your frustration at a non-working Squeezebox setup - this "solution" just seems insane!
Its a rather long-winded way to get iTunes control. Trying to find a way to do this with SS/SB combo is going to be a real fudge - and lets face it, not what the squeezebox setup was designed for at all.
How about selling the Squeezeboxes (that obviously don't work for you - have you tried troubleshooting this?) and getting a touchscreen interface to control your PC? Something like the X10 devices using Harmony could do this no problem.

Regards
Nic

adamslim
2007-02-11, 03:43
I guess you could sync a SB with SoftSqueeze and then control using the (muted) SB3 while the sound plays on your computer, but SoftSqueeze is less reliable than a SB3 (in my experience).

I'm with the knee doctor - troubleshoot your SBs. I think most people get them to work well. It's certainly a more elegant solution than iTunes via a SB3 remote!

Adam

peter
2007-02-11, 03:54
adamslim wrote:
> I guess you could sync a SB with SoftSqueeze and then control using the
> (muted) SB3 while the sound plays on your computer, but SoftSqueeze is
> less reliable than a SB3 (in my experience).
>

Better: Control SoftSqueeze from the SB with the excellent ShadowPlay
plugin.

> I'm with the knee doctor - troubleshoot your SBs. I think most people
> get them to work well. It's certainly a more elegant solution than
> iTunes via a SB3 remote!
>

Best!

Regards,
Peter

nojstevens@mac.com
2007-02-11, 05:19
Thanks for your replies.

I have troubleshooted the devices to some extent - but my setup does rely on softsqueeze to output the audio from the basement, and reading what you put here makes me think that this may be a weak link. Really, what I want is reliability, not so much iTunes, but music when I want it and not having to run to the basement to do something every time the music doesn't work.

I don't really want to sell the SB's - they are great devices, and I know that using them as single boxes with local audio output leads to a much more reliable experience - I will try a few different things today and see how I get on - the first being to put a real SB in the basement, not rely on softsqueeze.

Thanks again

Jon