PDA

View Full Version : Wake up player from slim server

gusi
2007-02-09, 19:20
I am getting a bit fed up turning the sb3 on 10 times before it actually does.

I vaguely recall that it was possible to turn the player on (or wake up) from the slimserver.

Is that still possible?

snarlydwarf
2007-02-09, 19:37
I am getting a bit fed up turning the sb3 on 10 times before it actually does.

I vaguely recall that it was possible to turn the player on (or wake up) from the slimserver.

Is that still possible?

Sure, press the 'On' label on the player page...

But the real question is why are you "turning the sb3 on 10 times"...

The SB3 is -always- on. When you press the On button it sends a "Hey, my remote got pressed!" to the server, which sends back, "Oh, okay, here is the 'on' screensaver"

So the question really is: why is your SB3 either a) not receiving the IR command to turn on (dirty lens? low batteries on the remote?), b) not passing it to the server quickly enough (wireless problems causing lots of retransmits?) or c) the server not noticing the remote command quickly (server busy doing something or asleep?)

The "Server and Network Health" plugin may tell you that.

danco
2007-02-10, 01:52
So the question really is: why is your SB3 either a) not receiving the IR command to turn on (dirty lens? low batteries on the remote?), b) not passing it to the server quickly enough (wireless problems causing lots of retransmits?) or c) the server not noticing the remote command quickly (server busy doing something or asleep?)

The "Server and Network Health" plugin may tell you that.

This is a problem that some of us have quite often.

After my computer wakes from sleep, usually the Sb is in its standard "off' mode. But fairly often, especially with a long sleep, the SB remains dark (though "off" should show date and time) and pressing the On button does nothing.

Pressing AND HOLDING the On button in 6.5.1 gives a "connecting to network" message and goes through a few steps automatically to end up in the normal "off" mode.

In 6.5.0 and below, pressing and holding took one into the SB menu from which one could choose to connect, but in 6.5.1 the menu stage gets skipped.

gusi
2007-02-10, 20:46
I normally only turn the slimserver on when I want to listen to music. So often the SB3 is sleeping with th PC on and no slimserver to be found for hours on end. ( I like to keep my PC "clutter free" and only run the services I want when I need them)

After starting the SS and pressing "on" on the remote does nothing and it is only after doing it repeatedly that the SB3 turns on.

Once the SB3 is found by the SS the on button appears on the SS menu.

This didn't happen before 650. SO I gather a change to 651 might be in order.

cheers
Gus

mswlogo
2007-02-10, 22:47
I get a similar issue.

Sometimes after it does wake from sleep and say I pause music just for a couple minutes it goes to sleep.

I think the "keep" server awake plug-in has issues.

One thing I do know. If you do have your squeezebox wake the server. Don't hit power after the display goes out. Wait for the server to come up. Then the display will come in Dim andyou can power up again.

Also from cold boot SlimServer just dies about half the time. I think MySql shuts down for some reason.

Think of all the slimservers out their that can't properly sleep and wakeup and forcing us to shut sleep function off on the PC and how much electricity that's wasting. Not very green.