PDA

View Full Version : I wish double-disc albums were handled differently....

Meatwad650
2007-02-09, 18:47
I have a lot of 2CD albums (usually mixes...AVB's A State Of Trance 2005 for example) and what I've done is made them "1" album, and used the disc numbers in iTunes. So when I tell it to play the album I get both discs. SlimServer breaks them up into two albums even though they're in the library as one. Can I do anything about that?

aubuti
2007-02-09, 18:55
Check under Server Settings >> Behavior >> Group Discs and select "Treat multi-disc sets as a single album" and you should be all set. If not, re-check your tags. The DISCNUMBER tag works fine for FLAC files, what format are yours in?

Diana
2007-02-10, 00:29
I just retag them as a single entity with track numbers in a continuous sequence. As the filenames are usually numbered, I renumber them, too, in the same way (MP3tag is very good for doing this sort of thing). Then I put all the files in a single Album folder.

Result - the whole thing plays from beginning to end without a break. (Why should I want to mimic changing from one non-existent CD to the other? The fact that the Album originally came on 2 CDs is an artifact of the limited storage capacity of CDs. There's no need for our much more flexible computer-based system to import these artificial constraints.)

Marc Sherman
2007-02-10, 04:59
Diana wrote:
>
> Result - the whole thing plays from beginning to end without a break.
> (Why should I want to mimic changing from one non-existent CD to the
> other? The fact that the Album originally came on 2 CDs is an artifact
> of the limited storage capacity of CDs. There's no need for our much
> more flexible computer-based system to import these artificial
> constraints.)

There are some cases where the 2 CD split is part of the artistic
package. For example, Kate Bush's Aerial is practically two completely
different albums that happen to have been sold together in a single
package. Another example is The Soft Boys' Underwater Moonlight And How
It Got There; the second disc is all bonus material. What do you do with
those cases?

- Marc

Diana
2007-02-10, 10:41
There are some cases where the 2 CD split is part of the artistic package... What do you do with those cases?

Of course you're right - if there is a good reason for treating the material as two separate albums that's what I'd do (calling them CD1 & CD2 or whatever artistic name the producer/artist had chosen). In the ordinary case, though, there's no more reason to keep the breaks between CD's than there would be for preserving the breaks that recording across 15 78rpm records used to introduce into a Beethoven symphony.

adamslim
2007-02-11, 03:37
There are some cases where the 2 CD split is part of the artistic
package. For example, Kate Bush's Aerial is practically two completely
different albums that happen to have been sold together in a single
package. Another example is The Soft Boys' Underwater Moonlight And How
It Got There; the second disc is all bonus material. What do you do with
those cases?

Most of my stuff on multiple albums is opera, and I want it as a single 'album'. Similarly, where there is extra stuff on a classical CD, I'll tag it as a separate 'album'.

In your Kate Bush example, I tag CD2 as "Aerial - A Sky of Honey", to differentiate it from the main CD, and in general it could be "Album - bonus material".

The main thing is to think how you would like to listen to it, and tag it appropriately.

Adam