PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver Problems running on Windows Vista

Devans
2007-02-08, 15:45
Some users are reporting problems getting Slimserver to run properly (or at all) under the recent Windows Vista commercial releases. Our preliminary tests on the Vista Beta revealed only minor problems with the installer interacting with Vista's firewall. (namely, it no longer opens the ports we request for connecting the player)

Now that Microsoft's new flagship operating system is officially released, we're getting reports of two distinct problems and have opened bugs for each:

1. Slimserver runs successfully, but the web interface won't open in a web browser.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4748

2. Slimserver fails to start at all.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4747

If you are having problems with Vista, can you please post here and/or to the appropriate bug entry and tell us:

* What version of Vista are you running? (Home Premium, Ultimate, etc.) Also specify if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.
* What version of Slimserver have you installed?
* What error messages are you getting? (if any)
* What additional Security software are you using? (Firewalls, Antivirus, etc.)
* What happens if you try running Slim.exe manually from a DOS prompt? (Cut and paste any errors.)

We are investigating the issues here and will provide either a patch or solution instructions when we have them. First we need to reproduce the symptoms here though.

Thank you for providing details and thank you for your patience with this issue.

--

bergek
2007-02-08, 17:28
* What version of Vista are you running? (Home Premium, Ultimate, etc.) Also specify if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.
* What happens if you try running Slim.exe manually from a DOS prompt? (Cut and paste any errors.)

1) Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
2) 6.5.1
3) None during installation (apart from the prompt to enter the admin password and to open the firewall)
4) None apart from Windows Firewall
5) When running as admin I get:

Service successfully installed.
2007-02-09 00:48:12.3659 Warning: Migrating from 6.3.x used with MySQL!

However, when running as a normal user I get this:

Install/Remove of the Service Denied!
That operation should be made by an user with Administrator privileges!
2007-02-09 00:44:20.3466 ERROR: MySQLHelper: startServer() Couldn't install MySQL as a service! Will run as a process!

As I have stated elsewhere in this forum non-admin users can't normally start or stop services under Windows Vista. Based on various testing I gather that slim.exe creates the services (both Slimserver and the MySQL instance) when it first runs. Usually, slim.exe is first started by an account with administrative privileges since slimtray is started by the installer. The problem is that the user may uncheck the box at the end of the installation which means that slimtray.exe will not run slim.exe and no services are created. If the computer is then restarted, slimtray.exe is started as a normal user and can not create the services. This is not so bad for slim.exe since slimtray will just run another process but MySQL will not start at all.

If you ask me you should make the installer create both services before the installation ends (regardless of 'autostart'). It should also programmatically change the security settings for the services so that any user can start or stop them (by using QueryServiceObjectSecurity and setting an appropriate ACL after having created the service with CreateService). Finally, it should run slimtray, but not as admin, but as the user who started the installation. I also wonder why you don't make use of the dependencies setting for the services (it would make sense for slim.exe to be dependent on the MySQL instance).

In addition to the above I also noticed some other things:

- When uninstalling, not all executables are stopped which prevents the uninstaller from removing all files in the Slimserver program folder
- When installing, the music folder and playlist folder are the admin folders, not the user who started the installtion

norderney
2007-02-08, 17:50
I am unable to get SlimServer to connect to my SqueezeBox 1

1. Vista Ultimate 32-bit. PC is Dell Dimension DXP061 Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz 3070Mb RAM

2. SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11363 (SlimServer_6.5_v2007-02-08)

3. When selecting Status on SlimServer web interface getting message Your player was not found.
SqueezeBox boots up ok and connects to the network. You can even use the romote control to select music tracks, but no audio plays from the SqueezeBox although the selected track title is scroling across the screen.

4. I am using McAfee Security Centre, the following programes are set to full access - mysqld.exe, scanner.exe, slim.exe, slimtray.exe. Infact most programs are set to full access.

5. Windows Firewall is currently switched OFF.

JediCowboy
2007-02-08, 19:31
Vista Ultimate Upgrade 32-bit
SlimServer 6.5.1
Built my own system - Asus P4P800-E Mobo, 3.3GHz P4, 2GB RAM
Default Vista Firewall is on (I've made no adjustments to allow Slim to work, and eventually Slim did work beause of other thnigs I tried. My firewall didn't seem like an issue.)
AVG Anti Virus 7.5

When I first installed SlimServer it simply wouldn't start, or SlimTray would show that it has started but it hadn't, or Slimtray wouldn't show the server as started but it had started.

Occasionally the web interface wouldn't open (Firefox 2.0.0.1), but sometimes it would work for a bit.

When Slim would run, it would run for a time and then crash - I'd see an error box informing me that Slim.exe had crashed.

When I was first scanning my library, scanner.exe would crash all the time.

At the moment everything is working perfectly after I set the mysqld service to Automatic and the slim service to Automatic (Delayed)

I never had an issue with my Squeezebox2 talking to my server in my network, and I've accessed the server from outside the network.

If you'd like to take a look at my error logs, Vista or Slimserver, I'd be more than happy to post them - just tell me what they're called and where they're located.

DLloyd
2007-02-08, 19:50
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
SlimServer 6.5.1.
Windows Vista Firewall and avast! 4.7 antivirus.

I added slim.exe, mysqld.exe, and scanner.exe to the firewall exceptions. Also set the SlimServer service to Automatic (Delayed Start).

6.5.1 is running OK. The SlimServer Tray Tool still doesn’t work (as per bug 4747), it states SlimServer is stopped when it is running. Using http://localhost:9000 does work.

mecouc
2007-02-10, 13:03
Slimserver 6.3.1 is working fine on Vista.. but my Squeezebox 3 has trouble connecting since I upgraded from XP. It does connect eventually but it takes 5 or 10 minutes and a few restarts of the squeezebox and slimserver. Sorry.. that isn't a very good bug report.. I'll try to pin it down a bit more.

shyster
2007-02-11, 15:36
Vista Home Premium 32-bit
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206
No error messages
Firewall disabled, no antivirus
SlimServer seems to intall and run fine but reports "your player was not found." I don't know whether this is a SlimServer problem or a Vista problem, though I've tried changing all the settings I can find and Vista does find the other computers in my network.

EDIT: fixed it. L arrow on remote, shows the screen that lets the SB connect to the new IP address that had been assigned to the Vista computer. Working well now.

djdamiano
2007-02-12, 21:25
I have found that SlimServerMYSQL does not start as a service unless you uncheck "Protected Mode" for your Intranet in Internet Properties with IE7.
Unless MYSQL is started you will experience problems like those above..

peejay
2007-02-13, 03:19
I have found that SlimServerMYSQL does not start as a service unless you uncheck "Protected Mode" for your Intranet in Internet Properties with IE7.
Unless MYSQL is started you will experience problems like those above..

Ignore the hype and stay with XP.

bergek
2007-02-13, 06:03
Also set the SlimServer service to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Using delayed start to make sure that Slimserver starts after the MySQL instance sounds like a kludge to me. Microsoft gives no guarantees whatsoever as to how long time it may take before the OS gets around to starting any services set to delayed start. Using dependencies is the recommended way but since it is hard to do for a user it should be done by the installer.

bnwilson6624
2007-02-13, 10:08
* What version of Vista are you running? Ultimate 64-bit.

* What version of Slimserver have you installed? 6.5.1

Clicking on Slim Server icon won't open anything.
Starting SlimServer service manually, I receive the following: "The SlimServer service on Local Computer started and stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
This also seems to stop SlimServerMySQL

* What additional Security software are you using? (Firewalls, Antivirus, etc.) Symantec - Norton AntiVirus 2007

2007-02-13 11:05:05.0031 DBD driver has not implemented the AutoCommit attribute
at /PerlApp/DBI.pm line 672.
2007-02-13 11:05:05.0080 ERROR: forceCommit: Trying to commit transactions befor
e DB is initialized!

bnwilson6624
2007-02-13, 11:02
I decided to install SlimServer on a laptop running Vista Biz 32-bit edition and (after I learned how to switch servers on the player), Slim Server seems to be running correctly.

Looks like the 64 bit version may be the real culprit.

Anything I can do to help identlfy the problem?

bnwilson6624
2007-02-16, 06:19
Any time I want to run Slim Server, I first have to go to Services and Start "SlimServerMySQL". For whatever reason, it does not stay running. Tis is true on both my 32 bit laptop and the 64bit desktop.

scy59
2007-02-16, 08:20
I've experienced the problem with the web interface not starting up under 32-bit Vista Business with AVG. I managed to get it working by making the SlimServerMySQL service startup automatically and then disabling the tray program from startup using MSConfig. If I start the tray program manually, it reports that the server hasn't started (which is incorrect) so I just don't use it.

RDaneel
2007-02-16, 14:33
I'm having trouble, too. Running Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 6.5.1, (11206 release). When I have the Windows Firewall on, the sb3 will never connect to the slimserver, no matter what IP or DHCP settings I use. It will work with internet radio just fine, so I know the network is ok. With the firewall off, no problems at all. Even with port 9000 whitelisted, it still won't connect. Had no problems with the Win XP firewall running the same exact setup.

Seems like conflict between Slim and the Vista security, I'd love to have a patch or workaround so I can get the firewall turned back on!

snarlydwarf
2007-02-16, 14:39
I'm having trouble, too. Running Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 6.5.1, (11206 release). When I have the Windows Firewall on, the sb3 will never connect to the slimserver, no matter what IP or DHCP settings I use. It will work with internet radio just fine, so I know the network is ok. With the firewall off, no problems at all. Even with port 9000 whitelisted, it still won't connect. Had no problems with the Win XP firewall running the same exact setup.

You need to allow port 9000 and port 3483. 3483 should allow both TCP and UDP.

fingers
2007-02-16, 19:22
Ultimate, 32-bit

I have tried them all after 6.3.1. 6.3.1 is the only version that will work. In fact, it works first time each time, no issues, not fiddle F&$*ing around

No error messages. All versions other than 6.3.1 show Slim.exe running, the interface says it is running, Services says it is running, the systray icon says it is running, even Slim support agreed it was running, the browser opens but is blank.

Besides Windows Vista Firewall and MS Defender which comes with Vista, ETrust AV

No errors. Same thing. It says Slim is running

Gatchers
2007-02-17, 13:28
Hi, I'm using WIndows Vista 64-bit Ultimate (clean install onto a new partition).
No virtus checker. I first used 6.5_v2007-01-15 (because this is what my XP partition was running) then 6.5_v2007-02-16.

The first install bitched about ActivePerl not being in my path, the upgrade to 02-16 went fine. I was able to view the SlimServer webpage without hassle, until I rebooted - now it all works, but I get the 'blank' webpage from my Vista machine and any machines connected to it. The page source is below.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<html>

<head>
<title>SlimServer</title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/slimserver.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/skin.css">

</head>

<frameset cols="50%,50%" frameborder="no" framespacing="0">
<frame name="browser" noresize src="home.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3Acf%3A2a">
<frameset frameborder="no" framespacing="0" rows="170,*">
<frame name="status" noresize scrolling="no" src="status_header.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3Acf%3 A2a">
<frame name="playlist" noresize src="playlist.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3Acf%3A2a">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes>
<body>
This page requires Frames.
</body>
</noframes>
</html>

Schindler
2007-02-20, 00:46
I had no problems at all... Then installed(configured)a xbox360 as a mce extender. That pice of sh... not only deleted my entire mediaplayer library, it also changed file permission of my music folder. I only give read right to microsoft software... Also slimserver now has a problem streaming files - the squeezebox still can connect to the server but no playback...

Christian

Vista Ultimate 32/German

hifisteve
2007-02-21, 01:26
I had thought all was well, installed 6.5.1 without any issues, had logged in via IE7 to the browser interface, set up my libray (I've just switched to WMP11/WMC from iTunes) and after updating the SB firmware, music had been playing via SB OK.

Since then it's all gone a bit pear shaped.

I noticed that the SB screen was blank and when I gave it a poke it wouldn't connect to Slimserver. Sure enough SS was stopped and when I tried starting it manually it just said 'Slimserver starting' for ages.

Set the option to run at start-up and also the 'run as administrator' and re-booted. My SB is now connected to slimserver and will play music so SS is obviously running but the
tray icon has vanished and when I open the browser window from the Desktop shortcut the window is blank, no SS interface....

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times to no effect.

1) Vista Premium Home 32-bit
2) 6.5.1
3) None during installation (apart from the prompt to enter the admin password)
4) None apart from Windows Firewall and I'am using AVG anti-virus

EnochLight
2007-02-25, 08:39

I'm running Ultimate 32-bit.

Right now I'm running 6.5.2 - 11357, but it appears that there has been a firmware update as of 2/25/2007 because whenever I log back and forth between Rhapsody and Slimserver it asks to update. Every time.

None right now!

I'm running my UAC, but I turned off my firewall. I run a hardware firewall through my router though.

Err - haven't tried that yet. For now, Slimserver 6.5.2 works rock solid fine with Vista 32-bit Ultimate - except that I can't get the web interface to automatically start running when I restart my computer. Even then, after I get back to my desktop I have to double-click my shortcut and tell Vista to allow it to run. Can't quite figure out how to get UAC to ignore stuff I don't mind starting.

*shrugs*

KJAWolf
2007-03-01, 11:44
I'm also suffering from the 'no browser support' issue. The player accesses the server fine - I just can't configure the server.

(Vista Home premium, Administrator account)

additional notes:
slimserverMYSQL is running, but the slimserver service is stopped. When I attempt to start it, a message box is displayed saying that it has been stopped, likely because no programs are accessing it.

shyster
2007-03-01, 21:19
I am now having the failure-to-open-in-web-browser problem, even though I wasn't when I last used SlimServer, the day before yesterday. When I try to start the SlimServer service, the error message says that the service started and stopped and that some services stop if they are not in use. The SlimServerMySQL service is also stopped; I can start it but it stops again shortly thereafter, without an error message. In the interim I have installed Avast antivirus but stopping all its services does not help, though I have not tried uninstalling it. I can also no longer open SlimServer in the web browser of any other machine in my network.

Home Premium 32 bit
6.5.1 - 11206

ceejay
2007-03-02, 00:48
Here's a helpful commentary on Vista upgrades for anyone thinking of going that way...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6407419.stm

Ceejay

lordhong
2007-03-03, 13:56
* What version of Vista are you running?
- Home Premium 64
- Slimserver stays at Slimserver is starting in the tray. When I start, I can see a window flash for 0.01s but I can't see what it is (look like a DOS window though)
* What additional Security software are you using?
- Windows Firewall, Avast Antivirus
* What happens if you try running Slim.exe manually from a DOS prompt?

C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServer\server>slim.exe
2007-03-03 15:49:13.4762 ERROR: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127
.0.0.1;port=9092;database=slimserver','slimserver' ,...) failed: Can't connect to
MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServer\server
\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652

2007-03-03 15:50:22.3946 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2007-03-03 15:50:22.3996 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimS
erver\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 658)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServ
er\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 616)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (C:\Program Files (x86)\Sli
mServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 543)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (C:\Program Files (x86)\
SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 28)
frame 4: (eval) (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage
.pm line 28)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/PerlApp/Slim/Schema.pm line 118)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::init (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 71)
frame 7: Slim::Music::Info::init (slimserver.pl line 366)
frame 8: main::init (slimserver.pl line 443)
frame 9: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 10: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 11: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 12: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2007-03-03 15:50:22.4514 ERROR: Couldn't connect to database! Fatal error: [Bad
file descriptor] Exiting!

2007-03-03 15:50:22.4583 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::init (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 71)
frame 1: Slim::Music::Info::init (slimserver.pl line 366)
frame 2: main::init (slimserver.pl line 443)
frame 3: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 4: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 5: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 6: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2007-03-03 15:50:22.4830 ERROR: forceCommit: Trying to commit transactions befor
e DB is initialized!

2007-03-03 15:50:23.4893 ERROR: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127
.0.0.1;port=9092;database=slimserver','slimserver' ,...) failed: Can't connect to
MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServer\server
\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652

2007-03-03 15:50:23.4897 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2007-03-03 15:50:23.4899 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimS
erver\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 658)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServ
er\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 616)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (C:\Program Files (x86)\Sli
mServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 543)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (C:\Program Files (x86)\
SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 28)
frame 4: (eval) (C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage
.pm line 28)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/PerlApp/Slim/Schema.pm line 249)
frame 6: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Schema.pm line 249)
frame 7: Slim::Schema::disconnect (slimserver.pl line 1037)
frame 8: main::cleanup (/PerlApp/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 300)
frame 9: Slim::bootstrap::sigint (/PerlApp/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 331)
frame 10: Slim::bootstrap::END (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 11: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2007-03-03 15:50:24.4892 ERROR: Running service shutdown failed!

Imboden
2007-03-03, 15:18
I built a new machine this week and installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Slimserver is only other software loaded. Loaded okay at first, then restarted loaded only a blank page. Then wiped the hard drive and tried again after reading forums to troubleshoot. Then slimserver wouldn't run - mysql wasnt running. My current workaround has worked all afternoon:
1) closed slimserver and slimtray (mysql wasnt running).
2) ran services.msc
3) started SlimServerMySQL. Opened Properties:
under the recovery tab, changed each to restart service
4)closed services
5)started slimtray (shortcut on desktop).

Its currently working, but I'm not restarting because I'm barbecuing and need tunes and no hassles today...

shyster
2007-03-03, 16:51
I had unsuccessfully tried something like Imboden's tip (see my previous post) but following up on his post have tried simply staring the SlimServerMySQL service (from services.msc). At least for the time being, this seems to work.

lordhong
2007-03-03, 20:52
Fixed my problems, seems to work.

Do not install with administrator rights (in my case, it didn't work).

I turned off User Accounts completely and it installed properly. Seems to be working, but haven't tried much yet.

KJAWolf
2007-03-06, 16:50
Imboden's tips seem to have gotten me past the browser problem.

vdorta
2007-03-08, 10:08
I had no problems whatsoever running SS on XP. Switched to Vista Ultimate 32 bits and installed latest nightly (6.5.2 - 11612). Initially SlimTray started OK but I got a blank web page on localhost:9000. The Slimserver service was stopped and Vista didn't let me open it. Followed the tip on opening "services.msc" and set Slim service to Automatic - Delayed Start. Restarted computer; Squeezebox asked for firmware update; everything went well after that.

Edit 1: SlimServer keeps running when I try to stop it via SlimTray.

Rupert Dacat
2007-03-08, 14:06
- Vista Home Premium, 32 bit
- SS 6.5.1
- Norton antivirus UNinstalled
- Intranet security settings minimized
- Everything suggested above tried, without success.

: (

Rupe

Rupert Dacat
2007-03-08, 14:21
No go with 6.5.2 either.

plafitracer
2007-03-09, 01:35
Vista Home Premium, Danish
SS 6.5.1
No AV
Vista Firewall

Upon initial install of SS, no problems whatsoever, everything started just fine, I was very impressed.

Then after putting the laptop to bed, next morning SS was a no-go. It wouldn't start after reboot.

I re-installed SS, works like a charm, next morning no-go....

I contacted Slim Support, and applied all the suggestions, got it up and running without re-installing. This morning a no-go again, the changes made to the firewall setup were gone, only slim was there, not server.exe, etc...

When I get home from work tonight, I'll try to pull that Windows firewall completely off, if that is at all possible in Vista...

Rupert Dacat
2007-03-09, 12:36
Vista Premium, 32 bit
Windows Firewall enabled
3/8 SS 6.5.2

Things are looking better with the 3/8 overnight version of SS. I am not, however, able to access SS (via localhost:9000) from an otherwise well functioning network.

Rupe

haunyack
2007-03-09, 13:00
Vista Premium, 32 bit
Windows Firewall enabled
3/8 SS 6.5.2

Things are looking better with the 3/8 overnight version of SS. I am not, however, able to access SS (via localhost:9000) from an otherwise well functioning network.

Rupe

Have you checked to see if SlimServerMySQL is running?
On my V32 box I have to manually start the service before I am able to access the interface.

jwb
2007-03-10, 12:48

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Was 6.5.1, now SlimServer_6.5_v2007-03-10

None

Norton Antivirus, also tried with Windows Firewall on and Windows Firewall off

Haven't tried yet. When I run the slimserver it tries to open the http://localhost:9000/, but it cannot open it, saying it is "currently unavailable." The network is fine. Vista really sucks.

jwb
2007-03-10, 13:25

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Was 6.5.1, now SlimServer_6.5_v2007-03-10

None

Norton Antivirus, also tried with Windows Firewall on and Windows Firewall off

Haven't tried yet. When I run the slimserver it tries to open the http://localhost:9000/, but it cannot open it, saying it is "currently unavailable." The network is fine. Vista really sucks.

News flash: Imboden's work-around worked for me:
manually start the SlimServerMySQL service and SlimServer in Contol Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

Then since it was a new computer , had to hold down left on the remote to get the squeezebox to find a new IP address in order to get it connected to squeezenetwork. I haven't rebooted yet. I suppose I'll have to do a manual start each time I reboot.

vdorta
2007-03-10, 14:18
I found another Vista workaround that also worked for me on XP: on SlimTray, check "Automatically run at login"; run "services.msc" and set the SlimServer service to "Automatic" (not Delayed Start).

tokyosexwhale
2007-03-10, 16:20
Just installed Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Had a bit of a problem at first but managed to get it sorted out in the end.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252

Here's what I did:

Installed Slimserver 6.5.1, at first it wouldn't load in Vista.
Went to control panel and had a look at the settings on the Windows Firewall. Made sure 'Slim Devices' was in the exceptions list.

Went through setting up my networking again on the 'Squeezebox' When I installed Vista I'd changed the name of 'my computer' from what I had on XP so the Squeezebox had to re-find everything.

Now everythings up and running:) Not sure what'll happen when I shut down and restart.

Personally I don't think the problem is with Vista's firewall, I just think the Squeezebox network needs setting up again one step at a time very carefully.

Hope you all get it up and running because it is very annoying:)

Rupert Dacat
2007-03-13, 09:42
Vista Home Premium, 32 bit
3/8 SS 6.5.2

Cannot use SlimTray to turn SlimServer off. Must use Services plug-in.

Cannot access SS from otherwise well functioning network computer.

Thanks.

Northstar
2007-03-15, 11:52

Have to start SlimServerMySQL manually, non of the functions of SlimTray work at all.

A month and a half after the launch of Vista and no word of a fix, is this a taste of things to come from Logitech? Where is the SlimDevices support we all bought the unit for?

Rupert Dacat
2007-03-15, 16:29
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
3/8 SS 6.5.2

I can access the SS from a networked computer by pointing my internet browser to:

SS IP Adress:9000 (e.g. 192.168.0.2:9000).

For some reason Http://localhost:9000 does not do it.

Rupe

alistairfielden
2007-03-18, 06:34
Vista Home Premium 32bit
Slimserver 6.5.1

Installs fine but problems during playback.
Whether connected wirelessly or via ethernet playback of files encoded with AAC(MP4) @ 320kbps stutter badly. (Playback for a couple of seconds pause for a seconds etc...)

Playback of MP3 files is fine.

On Vista I no longer see the MOV123 process in task manager.

Help 95% of my collection is AAC ripped from my CD collection.

ChrisBrookins
2007-03-19, 10:21

Have to start SlimServerMySQL manually, non of the functions of SlimTray work at all.

A month and a half after the launch of Vista and no word of a fix, is this a taste of things to come from Logitech? Where is the SlimDevices support we all bought the unit for?

The problem is that Slim's installer is not setting up SlimServer Windows Service with a dependancy of SlimServerMySQL. If that was done, this issue would go away.

vdorta
2007-03-19, 20:27
In my case the SlimServerMySQL service was also stopped, but I was able to set it and the SlimServer service to Automatic and that was all I needed. My SS and SB2 work perfectly in Vista.

bpa
2007-03-20, 04:36
In relation to 6.5.2 SlimTray not working.

Since about 25-feb when Slimserver is installed with Automatic unchecked (i.e. SlimTray has neither "automatic" option checked) - SlimTray would show that Slimserver is running when it is not and would still show it is running even after using "Stop Slimserver". This fault is true on all Windows not just Vista see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33686

So when you are noting problems you should give the date of the nightly 6.5.2.

That said I think there have been very few changes to Slim.exe code in 6.5.2 for the past 3 weeks.

stippie
2007-03-20, 05:28
In my case the SlimServerMySQL service was also stopped, but I was able to set it and the SlimServer service to Automatic and that was all I needed. My SS and SB2 work perfectly in Vista.

Hello - I just started trying to get Slimserver to work on VISTA and not having much luck. I can make 6.3 work but nothing after. I'd like to try setting the SSSQL and service to automatic. How do I do that?

My Squeezebox comes in today and it would be nice to be able to run it on the latest and greatest release.

Thanks,
Stippie

Sony Vaio; Intel Core 2 CPU T5500 1.66gigaHertz; Vista Home Premium 32 bit

vdorta
2007-03-20, 07:21
I'd like to try setting the SSSQL and service to automatic. How do I do that?
The workaround is: Close SlimTray and SlimServer. On the Start Search window, type "services.msc" and press Enter; go to SlimServer and SlimServer MySQL services; click Properties on each one and set to Automatic. Either start both services or reboot.

stippie
2007-03-20, 09:35
The workaround is: Close SlimTray and SlimServer. On the Start Search window, type "services.msc" and press Enter; go to SlimServer and SlimServer MySQL services; click Properties on each one and set to Automatic. Either start both services or reboot.

But no joy. Still just cranks the hard drive endlessly and no launching of the interface, but says SS is running (maybe it is somewhere else). I've opened the firewall, etc. everything else suggested in this forum.

Wonder if MS will give me a break on a "Downgrade" to XP?

Steve

vdorta
2007-03-20, 09:44
Are you sure that scanner, slim and slimtray are checked as firewall exceptions? Did you install SS as an user with administrator privileges (the Vista default)? I suggest you uninstall, reinstall the latest nightly checking the automatic option and then use the workaround.

stippie
2007-03-20, 11:29
Are you sure that scanner, slim and slimtray are checked as firewall exceptions? Did you install SS as an user with administrator privileges (the Vista default)? I suggest you uninstall, reinstall the latest nightly checking the automatic option and then use the workaround.

It worked, although I can't open from the desk icon I can open from the start tray.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

kesey
2007-03-20, 15:49

Vdorta, thank you for your directions quoted here. I had Slimserver working fine on my XP desktop and laptop, but have been unable to get it working on my new computer which is running under Vista Ultime 32 bit. I downloaded Slimserver 6.5.2 dated 20th Marchj 2007, followed the instructions above and I'm busily enjoying lots of music I have not listened to in years.

Right clicking the Slimtray icon and selecting Open Slimserver now works thank you, kesey.

vdorta
2007-03-20, 20:16
I'm glad you guys are enjoying your systems!

Stippie, I think the toolbar icon can't open SS; it only starts SlimTray.

Val

Cyber
2007-03-21, 00:59

Just tried the workaround from Vdorta. It works THANKS.

stippie
2007-03-22, 09:45
Just tried the workaround from Vdorta. It works THANKS.

To vdorta -- Got my squeezebox and it is working perfectly. Thanks again for helping before i tore out the rest of my hair! Stippie

vdorta
2007-03-22, 20:37
I'm glad again, that's what these forums are for.

Poddan
2007-03-24, 09:15
Vista Ultimate 32-bit
SlimServer 6.5.1

I only get the tray-bar icon. When I select start Slimserver nothing happens. I have no idea what I should do. I have recently gone from wireless to wire. I didenīt use Vista on my other computer, wich was an laptop, thereby the wireless.

Can someone help me? This to me is rocketscience.

I have read through the other pages, but I donīt understand anything.

Thankful for help!

vdorta
2007-03-24, 10:14
Did you read my message (#48) in this thread? If you chose the Vista default installation of user with administrative privileges, I suggest you uninstall and reinstall, and then use the workaround I explained. If there is anything you don't understand, please post a more detailed question, as "I don't understand anything" is pretty general.

Poddan
2007-03-24, 14:10
I have done what you explained in message (#48) and still nothing works.
Any more propositions?

kesey
2007-03-24, 17:33
I have done what you explained in message (#48) and still nothing works.
Any more propositions?

Poddan, are you using the latest nightly download of Slimserver 6.5.2? Mine was dated March 20th, 2007 Get it here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

Choose the Windows Executable. Install it as Administrator and follow the instructions below.

Enjoy your music:-)

kesey

"Originally Posted by vdorta

Vdorta, thank you for your directions quoted here. I had Slimserver working fine on my XP desktop and laptop, but have been unable to get it working on my new computer which is running under Vista Ultime 32 bit. I downloaded Slimserver 6.5.2 dated 20th Marchj 2007, followed the instructions above and I'm busily enjoying lots of music I have not listened to in years.

Right clicking the Slimtray icon and selecting Open Slimserver now works thank you, kesey."

Poddan
2007-03-25, 08:59
Poddan, are you using the latest nightly download of Slimserver 6.5.2? Mine was dated March 20th, 2007 Get it here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

Choose the Windows Executable. Install it as Administrator and follow the instructions below.

Enjoy your music:-)

kesey

"Originally Posted by vdorta

Right clicking the Slimtray icon and selecting Open Slimserver now works thank you, kesey."

IT NOW WORK! YEAH!
Thanks for all your help Vdorta & kesey

vdorta
2007-03-25, 10:06
I guess using SS 6.5.2 is one of the keys, as I never tried 6.5.1 in Vista.

KJAWolf
2007-04-04, 19:07
Slimserver does not appear to have updated its library since the initial scan. It's not seeing new music added to itunes or current itunes playlists.

Vista 32bit home premium,
Server IP address: 192.168.1.109
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

itunes 7.1.1

'Use Itunes' is checked in basic settings
under itunes section the two itunes location boxes are blank.

Thanks,
Ken

fingers
2007-04-04, 21:33
Yup.... It seems Like SD finally figured it out with 6.5.2. I installed the beta release a couple days ago and BINGO... all is working... Of course they still have not figured out how to get Slim Server to start automatically as in XP without editing the Services Start Up feature to delayed.

It sure is funny with all the communications I have had with support telling me that they see no problem that they finally released a version that does work!..... Go figure

Ross L
2007-04-05, 14:54
Thanks vdorta! SlimServer not displaying the web interface was documented as a bug here:

I've paraphrased your workaround which seems to be working very well for me. I've also noticed this helps even with Norton and McAfee related SlimServer issues on Vista.

vdorta
2007-04-05, 20:29
Thanks vdorta! SlimServer not displaying the web interface was documented as a bug here:

I've paraphrased your workaround which seems to be working very well for me. I've also noticed this helps even with Norton and McAfee related SlimServer issues on Vista.

Again, I'm glad. SlimServer 6.5.2 works perfectly with Norton 360 in my computer.

EnochLight
2007-04-06, 09:50
Just wanted to say, although I still can't get Defender to allow Slimserver to automatically run on a restart, once I go into Defender after getting to my desktop and let it go, it launches - running - almost instantly. Before it would take about 15 seconds to initialize, so wow!

Nice work on whatever you guys did!

Everything else seems to work fine, although for some reason Rhapsody pooped out on me last night after listening to 12 songs on a 30-song album. Might have been my Internet though... *shrugs*

BTW, I saw the Logitech logo on the splash screen; no more Slim Devices.... :-(

KJAWolf
2007-04-07, 07:52
Slimserver does not appear to have updated its library since the initial scan. It's not seeing new music added to itunes or current itunes playlists.

Vista 32bit home premium,
Server IP address: 192.168.1.109

itunes 7.1.1

'Use Itunes' is checked in basic settings
under itunes section the two itunes location boxes are blank.

Thanks,
Ken

running the scanner manually got the library updated

gtcharlie
2007-04-08, 11:46
Just switched from XP professional to Windows Vista Home premium and am having no luck getting slimserver to work. Downloaded a clean install of 6.5.2 on a new computer and everything seemed fine. Slimserver opened up, scanned my music directory and found all music. The problems start when I actually try to play music through the squeezebox. It shows all my music but when I hit the play button it says it is playing but nothing happens. When I switch to my rhapsody account through squeezenetwork everything is fine and music plays. Any ideas why slim network won't work?

terry_gardener
2007-04-08, 14:20
i have recently upgarded to windows vista ultimate (32 bit) from xp home and cant get slimserver to work properly.

it just seems to crash at lot of the time, mainly when accessing folders that the music is stored in. (ie artist-album name-then crashes when trying to go into this folder)

i even tried to add the slim.exe, the slimtray and the web interface programs to the exceptions list of windows firewall but still the same.

i have even tried turning off the firewall and still the same.

when i try to access the same folders from the player the same thing happens it just freezes and nothing happens.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11734 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.2
panda antivirus 2007
windows firewall and other windows security features.

it seems to be working now. i went into the windows defender options at the bottom and added the slimtray.exe file to the do not scan box, it seems to be working but if it goes again i will update this post.

Ross L
2007-04-09, 12:04
The problems start when I actually try to play music through the squeezebox. It shows all my music but when I hit the play button it says it is playing but nothing happens. When I switch to my rhapsody account through squeezenetwork everything is fine and music plays. Any ideas why slim network won't work?

This is a firewall issue. Do you have a 3rd party firewall, or anti-virus software that might contain a firewall thats blocking TCP 9000?

gtcharlie
2007-04-10, 06:33
Got it figured out. Had to do with my itunes installation. God I hate itunes. Still trying to convince the wife to lose it.

gtcharlie
2007-04-15, 06:48
Due to problems with Windows Vista(no big surprise there) I had to reinstall the operation system. I of course also had to reinstall Slimserver. Now when I try to open up the web interface I get the message "Can't open to write to C:\program files\slimserver\slimserver web interface.url permission denied". I have set windows firewall to give permission to slimserver. Any ideas why access is being denied?

Ross L
2007-04-16, 11:57
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4905

gtcharlie
2007-04-18, 09:18
Thanks Ross. Now that I know it is a "normal" message it doesn't bother me.

fingers
2007-04-19, 18:42
Thanks Ross. Now that I know it is a "normal" message it doesn't bother me.

hehehehe hehehehe

hifisteve
2007-04-20, 00:27
Just curious if there's been any official response on all these Vista issues from SD yet?

I may have missed something but since SD initiated this thread back in Feb there doesn't seem to have been any formal response yet and we're now up to 8 pages of posts so problems are clearly widespread.

I've got so bored with trying to get my SB working that I've resorted to listening to my music through my surround system using my 360 as a media extender....

fingers
2007-04-20, 07:34
Just curious if there's been any official response on all these Vista issues from SD yet?

I may have missed something but since SD initiated this thread back in Feb there doesn't seem to have been any formal response yet and we're now up to 8 pages of posts so problems are clearly widespread.

I've got so bored with trying to get my SB working that I've resorted to listening to my music through my surround system using my 360 as a media extender....

Nope! Not that I have seen

Ross L
2007-04-23, 18:57
Some changes have been made in the most recent nightly build that seem to be clearing up the blank web interface after restart issue, without the need for any work around. (bug 4748)

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_6_5_x_v2007-04-23/

I realize most people that have run into this have likely found the workaround to be functional. If anyone is still experiencing this issue please try the latest nightly 6.5.2

We are very much aware of SlimServer issues on Vista, and we're doing our best to get the data to the right people so we can get these wrinkles ironed out as soon as possible.

hifisteve
2007-04-24, 01:04
I've had a variety of issues with Vista refusing to run certain apps automatically (even is they are set to 'run as administrator') and decided to switch off the user account control function. Potentially risky I know but there's no-one in the house who would cause problems and I'm pretty confident that my hardware and software firewalls are protecting me from the web.

Anyway, reinstalled SS and bingo, it runs automatically on start-up every time and the browser interface works too. Fantastic I thought, but now my SB can't/won't connect to the network or SS, which is weird because a) it did before and b) it's hardwired to the network and not using a wireless connection.

I haven't changed anything from standard on my router, firewalls or anti-virus.

Am stumped.

fingers
2007-04-24, 08:11
I have had the most success with the build 6.5.2 from a couple weeks ago. However, I still occastionally experience SlimServer not starting up when the OS launches even with the service set to Automatic Delayed or just Automatic (actucally Automatic seems to work best). This always requires rebooting the computer (sometimes a couple times) to get SS to start.

Also, they other thing I am experiencing which never happened in XP is that occassionally a track will just stop playing in the middle of it. SlimServer is still running. This most times can be fixed by selecting another track and then going back to the track that stopped and start playing from there again.

Ross L
2007-04-24, 11:06
HifiSteve you might want to call/email support. I think something might be wrong with your player, have you checked its MAC address?

Hold the left arrow on the remote for 5 seconds, then scroll down to 'current settings' and hit the right arrow. Then scroll down to MAC address and compare it with the sticker on the bottom, do they match? If they don't hit the right arrow once more and change the MAC address to match the sticker on the bottom of the player. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest contacting support about this networking issue.

cgshirley
2007-04-24, 22:00
I am using SS 6.5.1 and Vista Ultimate 32 bit clean build on a home-built system with top-of-the-line hardware. I followed the advice of "Chris" on the wiki for installation. All that worked fine, but.. Running thereafter was intermittent. Slimserver tray would usually appear to hang on startup - but after several tries, reboots, etc. I could usually get SS to run. After having gotten fed up with Vista annoyances from User Account Control (eg. refusing to delete folders transferred from previous PC) I disabled UAC. Now SS runs fine - as it did on previous PC under XP. If anyone is reading this who is just thinking about getting Vista - DON'T DO IT!

Addendum: I have "Protected Mode" in IE7 unchecked. The firewall is "On" with only slim.exe as an exception.

mbr
2007-04-29, 07:39
Purchased a new PC (basic Dell) with Vista about two weeks ago, as it was time. Vista is definitely proving itself to be buggy with other applications, but nothing like Silserver. I'm a certified Old Guy, and not computer literate by any stretch, but I do worship the slimserver experience, both for the radio listening experience and ease of my CD's having been converted to mp3. This forum is invaluable.

My experience with Vista and Slimserver has been very frustrating, although many thanks to Vdorta's workaround -- I don't know what I would have done without it. Nonetheless, even after downloading 6.5.2 and reinstalling using "Services.msc" the settings (especially for SlimServerMySQL) don't want to stay set. It just seems to change itself, no rhyme or reason to it. What's up with that? Am I doing something wrong?

And while I have tried upon installation to set Slimserver to start upon system starting, that setting does not stay checked -- is there a way to do it after installation?

Also: when I try to open Slimserver from the system tray I get: "Can't open to write to:\ProgramFiles\SlimServe\SlimServerWeb Interface Url: Permission Denied." Even after getting that, Slimserver opens -- sometimes -- from the desktop icon. Or if neither will open Slimserver, sometimes it nonetheless opens remotely by a wireless laptop.

And like others have experienced, sometimes the Computer says Slimserver is running, but it's not-- confirmed by using the Services.msc drill, and, of course by the squeezebox itself.

Rebooting, etc. doesn't seem to help, and often seems to make a mess of thing by changing my settings on "automatically start" to something else. As to firewalls: I think I'm all set with McAffee. But with Windows Firewall I guess I must be OK (since it's working now), although I confess I do not see SlimServer come up when I look for inbound rules. Does anyone have a suggestion on that-- i.e., how to make sure I'm OK with that. Microsoft's guidance is simply Greek to me, I confess. And I would welcome a step-by-step on making sure IE7 is set properly, if someone would be kind enough.

Will this get better?

Matt
Silver Spring, Maryland

MrStan
2007-04-30, 03:16
As to firewalls: I think I'm all set with McAffee. But with Windows Firewall I guess I must be OK (since it's working now), although I confess I do not see SlimServer come up when I look for inbound rules.

OK, I am running SlimServer reliably with Vista Ultimate 32bit and User Control enabled so I will have a go at helping.

You need to go to Windows Control Panel, Firewall. Select "Allow a program through Windows Firewall" on the left hand side. It should ask you to confirm administator access which your user must have to change settings. Confirm OK and select the Exceptions tag at the top. Scroll down the programs list and you should see BOTH slim.exe and slimtray.exe with ticks beside them. If slimtray is missing then choose "Add program".

If Slimtray is not in this list then choose "Browse".
Browse to "C:\Program Files\Slimserver" and select Slimtray.exe.
Select Open and OK in the next box until you return to the exceptions list and make sure that Slimtray is in there and the box is ticked. Select OK and that's all, close the Firewall box.

The one program I do have some problems with is Slimtray. I suggest that you do not try to start or stop Slimserver using this application. It appears to work and the little Icon flashes away but it seems to be do nothing tto Slimserver so it is possible that it looks like it is running but isn't. The Web interface from Vista works fine unless you have anything else on your machine occupying port 9000 in which case you will need to reconfigure the Slimserver port.

You can start Slimserver from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Scroll down to Slimserver and make sure that both Slimserver and SlimserverMySQL are set to automatic. If Slimserver is not running then start it from here. You do not need to touch SlimserverMySQL as it will automatically follow.

The other major problem I have discovered is if you wish to play ALC files. I cannot get socketwrapper to play ball at all with Vista and there is another thread lower down which will tell you how to substitute mplayer for these files.

There does appear to be a Vista network bug particularly if you are using the NVidia chipset. Occaisionally the network port does not configure correctly on startup which will of course stop Slimserver working. I am still looking for a fix for this one and might be getting close. Just make sure your browser works before blaming Slimserver.

For anyone having problems copying files across to Vista from another machine, beware. If the file system on the other machine is NTFS then you must be carefull not to copy any user rights along with them. Even if the user name you are using is identical the rights will not match and you will not have access. The user control will be hiding your administrative rights. If this happens then you must manually take ownership of any folders and files that you have copied and then set new rights for your current user.

hifisteve
2007-04-30, 07:46
...and worked out that my SB wasn't working because the wife had switched off the socket the Homeplug network widget was plugged into when she was using the hoover.

Have solved that one blindingly obvious gaff, I can confirm the I now have SS, SB and Vista all playing quite happily together...

....BUT....

To do this I had to turn off User Account Control, which is obviously not idea, although in my home environment I'm not all that bothered.

Xorro
2007-05-04, 05:16
What version of Vista are you running?
Home Premium

What version of Slimserver have you installed?

What error messages are you getting?
"Can't open to write to C:\program files\slimserver\slimserver web interface.url permission denied"
I understand this can rectified by installing some new components (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4905), but as this my only error, I don't want to tempt fate by possibly introducing new errors.

What additional Security software are you using?
Symantec/Norton antivirus with built in firewall
Windows firewall is off.

What happens if you try running Slim.exe manually from a DOS prompt?
Not tried this.

Notes on my installation
I have done the Wdorta work around in Services.

A friend of mine has bought the identical Acer PC to me, but his Vista blue-screens with SB/SS - the only really difference is that he's using iTunes.

During install (I am the admin of the PC) I accepted all prompts to allow SqueezeBox to do whatever it likes on any port.

Ross L
2007-05-04, 11:18
Xorro what build of 6.5.2 are you using? Could you update to the latest please, the error message you mentioned is no longer a problem in the latest nightly builds, see:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4905

Are you seeing any other problems?

fingers
2007-05-06, 11:51
I have had the most success with the build 6.5.2 from a couple weeks ago. However, I still occastionally experience SlimServer not starting up when the OS launches even with the service set to Automatic Delayed or just Automatic (actucally Automatic seems to work best). This always requires rebooting the computer (sometimes a couple times) to get SS to start.

Also, they other thing I am experiencing which never happened in XP is that occassionally a track will just stop playing in the middle of it. SlimServer is still running. This most times can be fixed by selecting another track and then going back to the track that stopped and start playing from there again.

Now after installing the 5/5/07 nightly build SlimServer does not start up automatically at all any more even though it is set to do so. Also, once I manually start it, then I also have to press the red button on the remote to start the device as SlimServer says that it cannot find any device once it is started manually. Then I need to go through my house and manually start the remaining 2 SlimDevices.

Any chance this is all gonna be fixed sometime soon?

bpa
2007-05-06, 12:17
There was some changes in directory layout of 6.5.2 recently for Vista so I think if you are upgrading from one 6.5.2 nightly to another you could try to uninstall first and then re-install to see if it helps.

fingers
2007-05-08, 19:14
There was some changes in directory layout of 6.5.2 recently for Vista so I think if you are upgrading from one 6.5.2 nightly to another you could try to uninstall first and then re-install to see if it helps.

Yes... I could try that, which means then that I would have to resetup the wireless encryption on all my slimdevices and wait for SlimServer to re-index all the files. Frankly... this should not have to happen. And frankly, it's pretty amazing how tighted lipped SD is about all of this.

When can we expect a build of SS to work with Vista without patting our heads, rubbing our stomachs and jumping up and down on one foot?

jmoo2
2007-05-10, 16:46
I got v6.5.1 working in Vista. Had to add the 2 exceptions mentioned before to the firewall (scanner.exe & mysqld.exe); slim.exe added itself to the firewall when Vista prompted to give it access. I also had to set Slim.exe as a delayed auto start in Services.

My tray icon still doesn't work, but at least the rest does.

Does anybody know when a version is going to be available for Vista where everything works and it's easy to setup?

James

The_KiD
2007-05-12, 18:43
What version of Vista are you running?
Home Premium

What version of Slimserver have you installed?

I have a new HP Laptop and have 6.5.2 working great. I found that installing it in its own directory of C: works much better than putting it in C:\program files\slimserver\slimserver. I created C:\myprograms and installed it there.

SlimServer starts my Laptop joins my wireless netwok and works flawlessly. I will say that it did not work the first two times I installed it in C:\program files. It would work right off the bat but once I power down my machine, and turn it on the next day. It would not work.

Anyway, for those who are having problems. Please try what I did above. I hope it works for you.

Respectfully,

Chris

jmoo2
2007-05-12, 19:03
That makes sense as Vista locks downs the Program Files folder. Great thinking though! However, SS should be updated so that it works in this folder I think.

James

mherger
2007-05-13, 00:14
James

> That makes sense as Vista locks downs the Program Files folder. Great
> thinking though! However, SS should be updated so that it works in this
> folder I think.

Recently there has been a lot of effort making the installer behave better
on Vista systems. Could you please try the latest 6.5.2 version available
and tell us, whether it has improved for you or not?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

jmoo2
2007-05-13, 02:57
Michael,

It was a 100% improvement! :)

I didn't uninstall 6.5.1 but I did exit the tray icon, remove the additional two exe's from the Firewall exception list, and set the Slim Service back to 'Manual'. After installing May 12th's v6.5.2 build Firefox immediately opened the SS page (at http://127.0.0.1:9000/). This didn't happen in the previous build.

After I updated the firmware on the player the SS webpage found my player. Again, this didn't happen before.

On restarting my machine SS started automatically and I could click the tray icon (which now said "running") to open the configuration page. Again, this didn't happen in the previous build.

My only complaint is that all my preferences were wiped so I had to set-up my plugins, etc again. If that what has to be done to get in working in Vista then so be it BUT if possible it would be nice if they were kept.

Well done!

James

mherger
2007-05-13, 03:51
> It was a 100% improvement! :)

Good to know! I'll let Triode (who did the work) know.

> My only complaint is that all my preferences were wiped so I had to
> set-up my plugins, etc again. If that what has to be done to get in
> working in Vista then so be it BUT if possible it would be nice if they
> were kept.

From what I've understood about the issue, one "problem" (improvement)
with Vista is, that any program can't write to the program folder - which
SlimServer did until now. In cases where a software does this, it's
written to some virtual folder structure. The installer has been changed
to put the configuration elsewhere. I can imagine it didn't find the old
file anymore. Search your drives - you'll probably find another
slimserver.prefs file. And then I'm sure you'll have a backup next time ;-)

Michael

The_KiD
2007-05-13, 05:22
That makes sense as Vista locks downs the Program Files folder. Great thinking though! However, SS should be updated so that it works in this folder I think.

James

James,

I completely agree. I too am looking forward to an official Vista Version but I am in no hurry now as everything works as it should..

Cheers,

Chris

Triode
2007-05-13, 07:39
On Vista, the latest nightlies will store all files created by the server in %ALLUSERSPROFILE% rather than under the program folder for this reason. Vista allows admin to write to the program folder, but not normal users. In this case it silently virtualises the filesystem to the users account. This has been causing us problems when the server was run as admin and later as a user. [look in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ to see what has been virtualised for your account..]

I'm afraid this move means your preferences will be lost as the installer creates a new blank one in the new location. If you want to work around this, and the old prefs are still in the program folder, then removing %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SlimServer\slimserver.pref and restarting the server. This will hopefully copy over the old prefs minus the ones that need to change to the new location.

fairyliquidizer
2007-06-08, 04:02
I just installed 6.5.2 on 64bit Vista Ultimate and it installed and started the tray icon first time with no reboots. So far all is well. I can't remember if I "Ran as Administrator" which I found works wonders for programs that want to do things Vista is trying to discourage.

It's also worth saying that I run no Software Firewall (Hardware only) which probably makes life easier.

dfetzer
2007-06-13, 11:57
vista home premium, ss 6.5.2. The slimserver starts in vista and installs fine, I can bring up my songs and it looks like the db is getting updated with new songs, BUT I can not connect to the slimserver from the squeezebox. I removed all authentication and I can connect to the squeezenetwork, but I can't connect to ss. It simply says connecting to slimserver and then black screen - left arrow shows problem connecting...blah blah...

I realized then when rebooting in xp mode that I had version 6.5.1 installed and unistalled that, but the slim tray icon is still there after unistall. I think that its looking at the vista installed copy on a different harddrive???

Regardless, any help would be appreciated

Anoop M.
2007-06-13, 12:12
vista home premium, ss 6.5.2. The slimserver starts in vista and installs fine, I can bring up my songs and it looks like the db is getting updated with new songs, BUT I can not connect to the slimserver from the squeezebox. I removed all authentication and I can connect to the squeezenetwork, but I can't connect to ss. It simply says connecting to slimserver and then black screen - left arrow shows problem connecting...blah blah...

I realized then when rebooting in xp mode that I had version 6.5.1 installed and unistalled that, but the slim tray icon is still there after unistall. I think that its looking at the vista installed copy on a different harddrive???

Regardless, any help would be appreciated

Have you checked Vista's firewall? Are there any other firewalls installed on the computer? What antivirus? All these may be coming into play here.

dfetzer
2007-06-13, 17:35
thanks for the reply...I do have windows firewall and hardware firewall and had opened both the ports for tcp and udp...no antivirus.

I do think it was a conflict in the xp 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 installed on a second hhard drive in vista. Uninstalled both, reinstalled 6.5.2 in vista under no d:slimserver rather than prgram files, reset factory defaults on squeeze, by unplugging and holding add+, reconnecting and everything was a - ok.

stormy
2007-06-15, 09:01
You need to add "slim.exe" usually in C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\ to the Windows Vista firewall exceptions rather than opening a specific port.

It should hopefully work then.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WindowsVista

Mike

volatileacid
2007-06-19, 04:33
I really think this scanner needs to be sorted out! It's always giving one problems! I remember on XP I was having issues when once in a while it would go into a loop and run infinitely, or just get stuck somewhere. Then a debug would usually indicate what the problem file was etc.

BUT NOW, on Vista, I've been trying to get the slimserver to scan a partition on my hard disk where I keep all my music, and it's been running for over 24 hours. The log shows nothing except:

Setup::rescan - initiating scan of type: [wipecache]

:(

How complicated can the scanner be?

Anoop M.
2007-07-11, 14:49
I really think this scanner needs to be sorted out! It's always giving one problems! I remember on XP I was having issues when once in a while it would go into a loop and run infinitely, or just get stuck somewhere. Then a debug would usually indicate what the problem file was etc.

BUT NOW, on Vista, I've been trying to get the slimserver to scan a partition on my hard disk where I keep all my music, and it's been running for over 24 hours. The log shows nothing except:

Setup::rescan - initiating scan of type: [wipecache]

:(

How complicated can the scanner be?

Do you have and shortcuts or corrupted files in your library? Also another way to figure out why the scanner is crashing is to try the bubble sort method. Split your library up into 4 different folders and scan each folder individually. When you find the folder that crashes the scan, repeat the same process again until you can narrow it down to one file or multiple files.

demian
2007-08-30, 11:34
I tried everything listed here to get SlimServer to allow me to access the web based interface without crashing on Vista (via the remote worked fine). My problem was a result of some issue b/w my router (configured as a switch b/c I have satellite internet), Vista, and/or SlimServer. I finally ended up settling on JRMC and MC2Slim as a workaround.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk/

Demian

russj1975
2007-09-08, 04:07
Well, the question here is, does anythng work on Windows Vista? I work as an IT Engineer, and can say that for me, Vista is the biggest headache M****soft have ever been responsible for. I'm not surprised people are having so many problems. Vista is a truly awful product, which just doesnt work!

Stick to XP

vdorta
2007-09-08, 11:29
Vista is a truly awful product, which just doesnt work!Stick to XP
I understand your frustration but you shouldn't generalize; Vista works perfectly for me and I find it better than XP in every way.

robbiex
2007-09-08, 12:41
Vista has many problems, but, interestingly, Windows Server 2008, which shares some of the same code, is a super operating system.
We have been running Server 2008 since April 2007. It is ultra stable. We have not had a single BSOD or any other major problems with this operating system.
SlimServer and SoftSqueeze install and run properly on Server 2008.

EnochLight
2007-09-23, 09:12
SlimServer and SoftSqueeze install and run properly on Server 2008.

Does playing .m4a's using mov123 work in Server 2008? It's still broken in Vista and the latest version of SlimServer...

Upgradealways
2007-09-24, 19:05
I run Vista Premium. My problem is playback. Any song whether it plays on my squeezebox or softsqueeze jitters. The music keeps on cutting. I have no problem on squeezenetwork. The squeezebox is wired to a linksys router so wireless is not an issue. The PC has plenty of capacity, 3 gigs of RAM. No other process susceptible of taking resource is running. I have gone in the firewall and granted access to ports, slimserver, scanner.

If I use the exact same setup but use an old Emachine underpowered as a source, I get no problem at all (in runs on XP)

I have the lastest slimserver version, it was doing the same older versions

Any thoughts ?

barrygordon
2007-09-29, 20:20
Trying to use SlimServer running on a Vista machine controlling it through the CLI interface. Having problems making it work. Vista firewall disabled. McAfee firewall enabled. Softsqueeze works. As soon as CLI based device connects on 9090 slim server or somebody sends a TCPIP socket close. Just opened 9092 as Slimserver mySQL needs that, but have not yet tried it out.

Any thoughts advice help appreciated.

Gazza
2007-10-03, 01:50
First of all let me say how helpful this forum is and that i've tried most things on this thread to resolve my particular problem.

I just installed slimserver 6.5.4 on my pc with Vista Ultimate.

However I notice that the slimserver service always shows 'starting' rather than started. The slimsql service is started. I can stop the service by properties, disable and reboot machine. If i restart the service it just goes back to a never ending 'starting' status.

I've tried installing by administrator into a folder outside of program files and also switching off Windows firewall and antivirus etc to no avail.

I haven't yet tried a different earlier version of slimserver but 6.5.4 is supposed to be Vista compatible right ?

any ideas welcome as I'm lost without it

Gazza

Gazza
2007-10-09, 08:13
Just to let anyone know the cause of the above problem.
Reading elsewhere on this forum I came across Robert who had the exact same symptoms. Turned out you need to completely remove Zone Alarm firewall not just shut it down. It seems Slimserver service has an issue with the Truevector Zone alarm also installs.

Pleased to report 6.5.4 runs fairly wel under Vista except the slimtray refuses to end slimserver which you still have to do manually via the services menu.

thanks

Gazza

Willard Pigeon
2007-10-11, 10:37
My Squeezebox has been working fine for months since I installed a new PC under Vista Home Premium with an existing Netgear WGR614. Now, all of a sudden, the Squeezebox cannot connect to SlimServer. I re-installed SlimServer (v6.5.4)and reinitiated the Squeezebox, which connects okay to my wireless LAN. The router and IPCONFIG say DHCP is enabled. Can you please help me?
Thanks

Ross L
2007-10-11, 12:50
Did you check the Vista firewall? Have you tried a ping test?

tomlillie
2007-11-25, 21:13
Hi,

I am also having problems since installing 6.5.4 on a previously stable 6.5.3 vista install. Slimserver starts fine and runs in the background OK - my 3 squeezboxes run fine on a wireless G network, but when i open slimserver in internet explorer 7, it freezes the first time it 'refreshes' the screen. the only solution is to close internet explorer and restart - but the same thing happens each time. I am running alien BBC (which still works fine on the squeezboxes). I have uninstalled slimserver and re-installed. same problem. I thought the problem was having added XM radio plugin - but having removed this an reinstalled - same problem.
Windows firewall is disabled - i use Norton 360 (a useless piece of crap - avoid if you can), but firewall is not an issue. the remote squeezeboxes run fine throughout any internet explorere freeze - and are accessing music off my infrant readyNAS without problem. I'm not running slimserver on the NAS - so it is the PC slimserver that is supporting. Appears to be an Internet explorer / slimserver problem.

thanks

Tom

mherger
2007-11-26, 00:09
> supporting. Appears to be an Internet explorer / slimserver problem.

Do you see the same freezes if you connect to your server from a different machine? Or with FF instead of IE?

Michael

Upgradealways
2007-12-20, 15:05
I run Vista Premium. My problem is playback. Any song whether it plays on my squeezebox or softsqueeze jitters. The music keeps on cutting. I have no problem on squeezenetwork. The squeezebox is wired to a linksys router so wireless is not an issue. The PC has plenty of capacity, 3 gigs of RAM. No other process susceptible of taking resource is running. I have gone in the firewall and granted access to ports, slimserver, scanner.

If I use the exact same setup but use an old Emachine underpowered as a source, I get no problem at all (in runs on XP)

I have the lastest slimserver version, it was doing the same older versions

Any thoughts ?

I finally found a solution to my problem. I went back on Windopws XP. All if fine now. Useless Vista consumed so much power that Slimserver could not function properly (well I guess that s what it was). I re-imaged my Pc to Windows XP, all is fine. Now I can relax and enjoy..

house
2007-12-31, 05:37
Personally, I don't like Vista

EnochLight
2008-01-01, 08:25
Personally, I don't like Vista

Meh, I went back to XP after being on Vista for a few months and couldn't stand XP anymore. I found that apps launched slower and overall it just felt archaic to me. All of my Vista issues have been solved with the latest SqueezeCenter (beta) and my realization that my choppy m4a playback was due to nVidia's chipset SATA RAID/Quicktime problem. I moved all of my m4a's to a non-RAID SATA drive and *poof* everything works automagically now.

I went back on Windopws XP.

Perhaps you should change your name to Upgradesometimes? ;-P

Gerry Cordon
2008-01-03, 15:06
It's not a problem - more an irritation. Since getting a new PC with Vista Home Premium installed, at boot-up Slim Server starts OK but I always get a pop-up error message from Windows:

slim.exe stopped working and was closed

On opening the Slimserver browser interface I also find more occasions when the page just hangs and either I can't follow links or the right-hand player pane does not appear (or both). This can be rectified by re-booting.

EnochLight
2008-01-03, 17:22
It's not a problem - more an irritation. Since getting a new PC with Vista Home Premium installed, at boot-up Slim Server starts OK but I always get a pop-up error message from Windows:

slim.exe stopped working and was closed

On opening the Slimserver browser interface I also find more occasions when the page just hangs and either I can't follow links or the right-hand player pane does not appear (or both). This can be rectified by re-booting.

All of these issues are fixed in the latest SqueezeCenter (formally SlimServer) beta. That said it's still in beta testing so you may or may not want to wait until it goes release candidate.

carl_skerritt
2008-02-18, 12:54
I have had the same problem as most in this thread. That being, since upgrading to Vista, SlimServer fails to start and stays in the Starting... mode.

This week I upgraded ZoneAlarm due to a scheduled upgrade and now SlimServer starts correctly. I made no changes to SlimServer, it just started working after upgrading ZoneAlarm.

For you info:

I am running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 15047 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252

Zone Alarm, Security Suite version 7.1.248.000

haraldo
2008-02-20, 14:14
Some explanation of how services run in Windows, and this is valid for all versions.

My apologies if this is already explained in this thread, too many posts to read

The security model in Vista has been made a lot more complex than it's ever been in Windows, way too complex in my opinion.

Some basics:
- The user that logs on has no influence whatsoever on the security context of any of the services that run on the system.
- The user may start or stop the services, that requires a specific right that's called Start/Stop Services.
- If you have Power User rights or Administrator rights you may always do this (at least that's the case in Windows Server 2003)
- The security context of the service is solely defined in the Service descriptor of the SqueezeCenter service, nowhere else!
- If the service is set to Automatic start, you don't have to login, and you don't have to start the service to access SqueezeCenter, Windows will start it for you

In order for SqueezeCenter to run properly, I guess it should always run as a service, because of the incredibly complex security model. If SqueezeCenter runs within the securityContext of the logged on user (hence not as a service) you get into the complex setting of changing or elevating security context, this is not necessary when running as a service.

There is something around the OS security in Vista that I have never found out how works. As an Administrator user, you don't have access to many Kernel OS mechanisms, you need to escalate security context in order to do this. Sometimes this only works from Administrator user (Not a user with Administrator rights, but the Administrator user)
Sometimes I have found this to work, sometimes not.
I tried installing iTunes on Longhorn (which is the same code base as Vista) and it just didn't work at all if I ran the installation from a user with full admin rights. If I ran the installer from the Administrator user, it worked.... =:-O

I have not had the opportunity to validate this, but I'm suggesting to check out a security right that's called "Act as part of operating system" that possibly may sort things out. I really don't know this because this is complex stuff, but this one may be a key...

Vista is NOT easy on end users !!

I have never tried Slimserver or SqueezeCenter on Vista, because now I've converted my home stuff to Suse Linux Enteprise Desktop, and everything is smoking....

Regards

Harald N

Hercules
2008-02-23, 02:48
I have had the same problem as most in this thread. That being, since upgrading to Vista, SlimServer fails to start and stays in the Starting... mode.

This week I upgraded ZoneAlarm due to a scheduled upgrade and now SlimServer starts correctly. I made no changes to SlimServer, it just started working after upgrading ZoneAlarm.

For you info:

I am running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 15047 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252

Zone Alarm, Security Suite version 7.1.248.000

Prompted by this post, I just installed Zone Alarm. SqueezeCenter got stuck in the "starting" phase... So then I installed SqueezeCenter again (from the nightly build) and now everything is working perfectly!

And of course that means I can do away with Vista's dubious firewall:-)

EnochLight
2008-02-23, 05:28
Prompted by this post, I just installed Zone Alarm. SqueezeCenter got stuck in the "starting" phase... So then I installed SqueezeCenter again (from the nightly build) and now everything is working perfectly!

And of course that means I can do away with Vista's dubious firewall:-)

Strange you all are still having issues.. The latest nighty of SqueezeCenter has worked fine for the past 3-4 months of releases on my Vista Ultimate (32-bit) box, firewall and all. That said I did turn off UAC 5 minutes after I installed Vista.

amcluesent
2008-02-23, 16:29
So I hit the problem of stuttering when playing m4a files with SC7/Vista/ReadyBoost/SATA drives.

This post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=253734&postcount=13 supplied the fix that worked for me, using faad rather than mov123 or mplayer.

MarkReif
2008-03-09, 07:20
I've been running version 6.5.4 on a Vista 64 bit self built system.... SCSI SATA 8GB RAM... ETC.... bottom line no issues whatsoever. I just tried installing the new SqueezeCenter 7.00 and it failed miserably. I'm about to transition to setup which will have my database (16,303 FLAC files) stored on Netgears NAS NV+. I plan on using the software embedded in the NAS or using a laptop connected wireless to the network to control the Slim server linked to the files on the NAS when the PC (huge draw on power and during the summer major heat issues)is down. I have one Transporter connected Ethernet based with Netgears HD Gaming N Network kit - and one Sqeezebox connected wireless with Wireless-G.
Any comments?

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-10, 11:50
I plan on using the software embedded in the NAS or using a laptop connected wireless to the network to control the Slim server linked to the files on the NAS when the PC (huge draw on power and during the summer major heat issues)is down.

Not a good idea, you're adding an extra wireless hop which can affect performance. If you install SC on the NV (when it's available) it's purported to be very slow.

It would be best to try to get SC working on the Vista PC, or just dig out/buy an old clunker PC which you can hide in a closet - install Linux then SC. Or SlimNAS: http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=1026&kategorie=slim or Instant SC: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40818

haraldo
2008-03-11, 12:41
[SPAM]

Vista ready PC's doesn't guarantee you anything really. I have a friends who's a Senior IT consultant and exceptionally skilled. He spent half a year getting the wireless to work with an Acer laptop with Vista. Acer support totally refused to accept there was an issues because the OS was actually able to discover the WLAN, but it never worked. Hence no support at all on this issue from ACER. Anybody from ACER or Microsoft reading this !

There is definitely no H/W issue, it took the guy 15 minutes to get the WLAN working with an Ubuntu live CD.

The issue was resolved by a recent firmware upgrade to the wireless router.... However, such issues are not promising for Vista.

Regards

Harald N

amcluesent
2008-03-15, 01:41
So my Vista Business updated to SP1. Now the softsqueeze player (V3.5) is getting glitches on playback using the Java MP3 plugin, just drops the sound for a fraction of a second every few minutes.

stevie
2008-04-19, 21:45
I Have a Dell XPS M1330 running Vista Ultimate and Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security 14.
I had a terrible time getting anything to work in Squeezecentre or to figure out how to use Squeezecentre to browse to my Buffalo NAS to scan my music library.
Central to my most annoying problem is that Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14 and Sqeezecentre do not seem to like each other. If I turn the Trend Micro off, my computer will detect the Squeezebox otherwise it will not work. I have tried to add localhost:9000 to the exception list in the PC Cillin but have not had success there.
I am tempted to scrap PC Cillin and go to AVG Free but I do not know if that will help.

dennis55
2008-04-20, 08:25
Stevie, i run Vista Ultimate Sp1 with AVAST! and have no conficts with this excellent free program.
in fact i have vever had any problems running SlimServer etc with Vista!.
cheers

dennis

I Have a Dell XPS M1330 running Vista Ultimate and Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security 14.
I had a terrible time getting anything to work in Squeezecentre or to figure out how to use Squeezecentre to browse to my Buffalo NAS to scan my music library.
Central to my most annoying problem is that Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14 and Sqeezecentre do not seem to like each other. If I turn the Trend Micro off, my computer will detect the Squeezebox otherwise it will not work. I have tried to add localhost:9000 to the exception list in the PC Cillin but have not had success there.
I am tempted to scrap PC Cillin and go to AVG Free but I do not know if that will help.

parrydave44
2008-04-20, 15:24
I've just installed SP1, now SC7 is playing up! Songs are freezing after playing several seconds and the remote is very unresponsive. Buffer is at 100%, but song doesn't play. When skipping tracks, song starts very briefly, but display doesn't update, then everything freezes again. Unresponsive also when contolling via web interface instead of remote. Remote is fine when browsing etc, without music playing.

I'm on a wired connection and have 100% health on 5000kbps network check. Have tried with both vista firewall and AVG turned off - no difference. It plays fine via softsqueeze running on the server PC.

Any thoughts?

EnochLight
2008-04-20, 17:01
I've just installed SP1.... Any thoughts?

Sure - uninstall SP1! ;^P

I kid, I kid... That said did SC work ok prior to going with SP!?

parrydave44
2008-04-21, 01:11
Yes, it worked fine before.

Looking at the log, I'm getting lots of errors, mostly of the following 3 types....

[08-04-20 23:36:28.6423] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
[08-04-20 23:36:28.6426] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
[08-04-20 23:41:50.5324] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
[08-04-20 23:41:50.5329] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]
[08-04-20 23:41:50.5331] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Connect timed out]
[08-04-20 23:42:16.0856] Slim::Networking::Async::_connect_error (157) Failed to connect: Unknown error
[08-04-20 23:42:16.0861] Slim::Networking::Async::_async_error (256) Error: [Connect timed out]

----------------------------------------------------

[08-04-20 23:36:04.1385] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [23:36:04.1382] Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm line 1170.
[08-04-20 23:36:07.5519] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [23:36:07.5516] Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm line 1170.

----------------------------------------------------

[08-04-20 22:20:05.5393] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (1363) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
[08-04-20 22:20:06.5345] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
[08-04-20 22:20:06.5349] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (C:/PROGRA~1/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 67)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 658)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 616)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 543)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (C:/PROGRA~1/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 27)
frame 5: (eval) (C:/PROGRA~1/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 27)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Schema.pm line 244)
frame 7: (eval) (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Schema.pm line 244)
frame 8: Slim::Schema::disconnect (slimserver.pl line 964)
frame 9: main::cleanup (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/bootstrap.pm line 368)
frame 10: Slim::bootstrap::sigint (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/bootstrap.pm line 402)
frame 11: Slim::bootstrap::theEND (slimserver.pl line 1001)
frame 12: main::END (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 13: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

MrStan
2008-04-24, 01:05
Yes it looks like Microsoft have been playing around with TCPIP again. They have also made some changes in the latest update to XP. I understand that for Windows Networking they are now insisting on a every packet being acknowledged before sending the next packet. This is causing havoc to companies that are trying to run Windows round the world.

I am currently running SlimServer 6.5.2 on Vista SP1 OK and for the record the virus scanner is AVG 7.5. Can't see why SC7 should be any more critical but if you had to do any registry hacks to get the Networking stable as I did with Vista then Microsoft have chosen to change some of the key names in SP1 so I had to make a change after upgrade. This wasn't a SlimServer problem, it's just that my ageing router doesn't appreciate Microsoft's TCPIP enhancements and doesn't always DHCP.

haraldo
2008-04-25, 06:42
I understand that for Windows Networking they are now insisting on a every packet being acknowledged before sending the next packet.

Is this really the case, this will kill performance completely....

There is something called "sliding windows" where you have to acknowledge packets but you allow for sending new ones before ack, but at a certain point the packets MUST be acknowledged. For instance, by acknowledging packet #100, you're implicitly acknowledging all the previous ones. This requires a sequential packet numbering scheme in order to have control of the orders of the packets and making sure that packets are not lost. I learned about this many years ago, so I can't recall all the details....

And yes, there are many people out there suddenly having issues with their wireless with Vista, and it's Vista issue...

malone
2008-04-25, 16:58
Has anyone managed to get SqueezeCenter_7.0 going on on Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1? I can't get SqueezeCenter to start as a service - I get the error message that it started and then shut down again. I've tried many of the things mentioned in this thread without success. Before I continue trying it would be great if someone could provide an existence theorem for SqueezeCenter 7.0 working on Vista SP1.

illis102
2008-04-27, 09:35
We have a home network and an XP desktop with the SlimServer software installed and working with our SqueezeBox.

I just installed SqueezeCenter 7.0 on my Vista laptop and it can't find my SqueezeBox. Do I need to stop SlimServer on the XP machine before I can connect to the SqueezeBox from my Vista machine?

Thanks!

browellm
2008-04-28, 01:48
Has anyone managed to get SqueezeCenter_7.0 going on on Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1? I can't get SqueezeCenter to start as a service - I get the error message that it started and then shut down again. I've tried many of the things mentioned in this thread without success. Before I continue trying it would be great if someone could provide an existence theorem for SqueezeCenter 7.0 working on Vista SP1.

I have it working on x64 SP1 Home Premium.

Mark Lanctot
2008-04-28, 13:04
We have a home network and an XP desktop with the SlimServer software installed and working with our SqueezeBox.

I just installed SqueezeCenter 7.0 on my Vista laptop and it can't find my SqueezeBox. Do I need to stop SlimServer on the XP machine before I can connect to the SqueezeBox from my Vista machine?

Thanks!

Yes, the SB can only connect to one server at a time.

Press and hold left on the remote for 5 seconds and go to network setup, pressing FWD to skip through all your existing settings. Stop when you reach Select Music Source and specify the IP address or name of the other server.

Once you do this once, it will remember the other server, so pressing and holding left on the remote will allow you to connect to the other server (scroll down to see all options).

jstraw
2008-04-29, 05:41
I'm running 7.0 on Home Premium

The application cannot be stopped using the tray icon, a reboot of the computer is required.

The application fails with some frequency and again, it cannot be stopped and started from the tray icon and cannot be killed from task manager either.

It's important for Squeezecenter to not die and it's important to be able to stop and start it when I wish too.

Are there solutions for these issues?

mherger
2008-04-29, 06:11
> The application cannot be stopped using the tray icon, a reboot of the
> computer is required.

Is there no option to do this or does it fail? If there's no option, then SC is being run as a background service - user Windows service manager to start/stop it.

--

Michael

jstraw
2008-04-29, 07:22
> The application cannot be stopped using the tray icon, a reboot of the
> computer is required.

Is there no option to do this or does it fail? If there's no option, then SC is being run as a background service - user Windows service manager to start/stop it.

--

Michael

It fails. It's on the context menu and when you click it, the flag that says it's stopping pops up, then fades. But it never stops. And the time I tried, killing the process in the task manager would not work. In all cases, rebooting works, obviously.

I have no objection to running it as a service. How complicated is that to set up? I don't know if that would solve my problems, do nothing for them or add new problems though. For me, having it launch at startup as an application is just as good...as long as it works.

Is 7.0 17793 the proper version for 32 bit Vista?

mherger
2008-04-29, 23:18
> It fails. It's on the context menu and when you click it, the flag that
> says it's stopping pops up, then fades. But it never stops. And the time
> I tried, killing the process in the task manager would not work. In all
> cases, rebooting works, obviously.

Are you logged in as a non-privileged user?

Michael

jstraw
2008-04-30, 05:31
> It fails. It's on the context menu and when you click it, the flag that
> says it's stopping pops up, then fades. But it never stops. And the time
> I tried, killing the process in the task manager would not work. In all
> cases, rebooting works, obviously.

Are you logged in as a non-privileged user?

Michael

If you mean logged onto the Vista box, no. There currently are no non-privileged users. It's a new machine bought to run a drobo and squeezecenter. It's not doing much else right now though it may do more in the future.

The last time I needed to restart the computer I tried using the tray icon to stop squeezecenter and for the first time, it worked. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I have the squeezebox connected and configured to use ethernet now and it seems to be remaining connected better.

Thank you for your help.