PDA

View Full Version : Alienbbc stops after about 6 minutes

mini-itx
2007-02-08, 13:23
With a message "stopped" on the display.

"SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1251"

Any ideas about how I should go about debugging/fixing this?

bpa
2007-02-08, 13:36
Does it happen with live streams or "Listen Again" streams or both ?

mini-itx
2007-02-08, 13:41
Live streams only.

bpa
2007-02-08, 13:50
This problem has happened before with mplayer 1.0pre7 and is usually fixed byusing 1.0pre8 or later. However mplayer 1.0pre8 is the one bundled with AlienBBC 1.06 exe.

Did you install AlienBBC from the zip or exe ?
What version of mplayer have you got ? run it from a command line and look at the banner.

mini-itx
2007-02-08, 14:34
The mplayer that I have been usign for a year or so gives this as output:

MPlayer dev-CVS-060124-07:11-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: IDT/Centaur/VIA C3 Samuel 2 (WinChip C5B core)/C3 Ezra (Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

I am running on a mini-itx PC with an odd processor, I have some memory of upgrading mplayer in the past and it wouldn't run.

gerph
2007-02-08, 15:20
The mplayer that I have been usign for a year or so gives this as output:

MPlayer dev-CVS-060124-07:11-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: IDT/Centaur/VIA C3 Samuel 2 (WinChip C5B core)/C3 Ezra (Family: 6, Stepping: 3)

I am running on a mini-itx PC with an odd processor, I have some memory of upgrading mplayer in the past and it wouldn't run.

It seems that the BBC streams have started using a slightly different format which the old player doesn't understand. If you look in the diagnostics you'll see something about unrecognised codes being received and then it'll have stopped. The solution, as others have suggested, is to use the later MPlayer. I just downloaded the latest version and recompiled and all was well again - I'm also using a mini-itx system, and I found that mplayer compiled up and ran just fine.

bpa
2007-02-08, 15:38
There are a number of processors which seem to confound the mplayer auto processor detect.

One of the many things on my todo list - is to build a version of mplayer which uses no special instructions (SSE etc.) and a 386 instruction set.

If Gerph has built a suitable mplayer for Windows, then if it is made available - I can host the file for other such as mini-itx to download.

mini-itx
2007-02-09, 01:40
If Gerph could make his version of mplayer available then that would be great. When I run the 1.0pre8 version I get this stream when it crashes out:

MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: VIA Samuel 2 (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)

STREAM_HTTP(1), URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.rpm
Resolving www.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.bbc.co.uk[212.58.227.78]: 80...
Cache size set to 128 KBytes

Playing rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra.
STREAM_RTSP, URL: rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
Resolving rmlive.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET...
Connecting to server rmlive.bbc.co.uk[212.58.227.84]: 554...
Cache size set to 128 KBytes

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill: 18.75% (24576 bytes)
REAL file format detected.
Stream description: Audio Stream
Stream mimetype: audio/x-pn-multirate-realaudio-live
Clip info:
name: Radio 4
author: BBC
copyright: (C) British Broadcasting Corporation 2007
================================================== ========================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

gerph
2007-02-09, 03:00
There are a number of processors which seem to confound the mplayer auto processor detect.

One of the many things on my todo list - is to build a version of mplayer which uses no special instructions (SSE etc.) and a 386 instruction set.

If Gerph has built a suitable mplayer for Windows, then if it is made available - I can host the file for other such as mini-itx to download.

Sorry; I'm running under linux I'm afraid, so only linux version here :-(

bpa
2007-02-09, 03:14
I thought so - building mplayer under windows is a pain compared to linux.

mini-itx,
no promises but I'll try to build a suitable mplayer over the weekend.

DLORDE
2007-02-09, 05:26
I get something similar where if I select Radio 3 live stream from AlienBBC, it stops after a few minutes and the selection reverts to Radio 1...

I'll try the new mplayer - whenever it is ready ;-)

bpa
2007-02-09, 05:31
DLORDE,

Just to keep track of the problems as sometimes the streams stopping can be the result of TCP setting in windows or satellite vs terrestrial links. Radio 3 stopping and then reverting by itself to Radio 1 is very strange and sounds different to the OP's problem.

What OS - Windows or Linux ?
What processor make / type/ speed/ - Intel (Pentium, Celeron etc.), AMD (Duron, Athlon etc.), VIA etc
Problem happens on live or "Listen Again" or both.
What is the version of Mplayer if installed separately from AlienBBC ?

bpa
2007-02-11, 13:47
OK - I've built a number of versions of mplayer 1.0rc1 (the version after 1.0pre8) for Windows. It's possible that the 1.0rc1 release has fixed the processor issues so that is why I have included a reference version. They all work on Pentium 4 on REal, AACPlus, WMA and MP3 streams.

The problem mplayer has with the VIA processor when using runtime processor detect could be either:
1. Wrong instruction set for processor detected
2. Use of wrong extended instruction set (e.g. SSE, MMX, 2DNow!)

So I have built 3 versions of the 1.0rc1.
1. "Reference" version built using Neil's config options with runtime detection of processor (http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/mplayerrc1exe.ZIP ) . This should be very similar to the build on the mplayerhq site
2. Runtime processor detection but with use of extended instruction (MMX, MMX2, 3DNow, 3DNow2, SSE,SSE2) disabled (http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/mplayerautocpuexe.ZIP )
3. Compiled for i486 processor. Runtime processor detection disabled and use of extended instructions disabled (http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/mplayer486exe.ZIP )

It would be great if all version could be tested and report back which if any worked.

To install
* download and then unzip the zip file
* save the old mplayer.exe from the slimserver Bin/MSWIN32.. directory
* rename and move the unzipped file as mplayer.exe in the slimserver Bin/MSWIN32.. directory.
* check new Mplayer banner - for message similar to "MMX disabled" or "Runtime processor detection to verify what version has been installed.

MattC
2007-02-11, 14:20
could anybody tell me if the source for 1.0rc1 already has the patch within demux_real.c for the garbled stream problem when listening to live streams?

if not is there a diff anywhere for the 1.0rc1 source code?

many thanks
Matt

bpa
2007-02-11, 15:08
The mplayer team rewrote the RealAudio support in March 2006 so any build after that of mplayer includes all the fixes needed to overcome the garbled audio bug.

1.0pre8 (release around June 2006) and 1.0rc1 have all the necessary RealAudio fixes.

MattC
2007-02-12, 01:46
The mplayer team rewrote the RealAudio support in March 2006 so any build after that of mplayer includes all the fixes needed to overcome the garbled audio bug.

1.0pre8 (release around June 2006) and 1.0rc1 have all the necessary RealAudio fixes.

many thanks for the info bpa, I've just compiled 1.0rc1 on linux here, and alienBBC seems to be quite a bit more solid.

cheers
Matt

mini-itx
2007-02-12, 11:59
BPA, thanks for your help.

I have tried all three of your compilations on my Via EPIA PC and guess what? They all work...

I am back to radio4 on my SB again - great!

mini-itx
2007-02-12, 13:32
I forgot to mention, there was another bug that this has also fixed - on Alienbbc, every couple of minutes the sound jumped back a second or so. I'm very pleased to report that it is "back to normal!"

bpa
2007-02-12, 13:39
Interesting that all versions work - it looks like it was a bug in the "runtime processor auto detection".

I think the repeating sound is as a result of packet loss from BBC rather than a bug - the strategy of filling up the missing time with an old packet may have been changed.