PDA

View Full Version : slimserver driving me nuts

narlus
2007-02-07, 18:51
i've been using my SB2 for at least a couple of years now, but lately it's been giving me issues. the small ones (like the spectrum analyzer randomly turning on) aren't a big deal, but lately it's crept into things like the slimserver randomly shutting off on my PC, not having 'random play' available from the main menu, and things just not playing at all. i've got some weird tagging / display things going on too, even though i'm extremely anal about my mp3 tags (using tag & rename); sometimes they have the folder name in them.

i'm running slimserver 6.3.0 (later version tended to double-count my library), on winXP.

any ideas? do you need any more info? i wasn't really sure where to post this, as there didn't seem to be a good place in the forums.

Ross L
2007-02-07, 19:23
Could you be more specific about how SlimServer is shutting off your PC? Also maybe more details about the weird tagging / display, what exactly are you seeing?

Honestly I'd recommend updating to 6.5.1 and resolving the duplicate issue, you could try contacting us in support if you need a hand.

danco
2007-02-08, 00:26
Ross, you have slightly misread what narlus is saying.

He/she did NOT say "Simserver is shutting off the PC", but said "Slimserver is shutting off ON the PC".

So presumably meaning that SlimServer quits, or something similar, aand not that the whole PC shuts down.

narlus
2007-02-08, 09:22
exactly, danco's got it right. sometimes it does it w/o any provocation from me, ie the player screen goes blank and i run upstairs to see that slimserver has stopped, other times it seems to have been perhaps linked to actions via the remote.

i did upgrade to 6.5.0 but had very weird tagging issues (the artist ID tag would be my folder name on the PC), so i switched back to what i thought was an older and more stable build.

i've got a massive (110K song) library; could this have something to do w/ it?

MrSinatra
2007-02-08, 10:54
i would suggest using the newest nightly, it works pretty well for me, and fixes a lot of my issues.

also, SS does not handle tags well imo, but apparently you can use mp3tag or similar programs, and if you clean up your own tags (to play by SS's arbitrary rules) it will work out correctly.

topa
2007-02-08, 11:31
Except for my "Jeff Buckley" Files. I have about 8000 tracks which appear correctly, but these two CDs don't show up under "J" for "Jeff", they show up under "B". Why? I don't know.

MrSinatra
2007-02-08, 11:35
i'll bet somewhere in your tags, some one of the tags is:

Buckley, Jeff

and for whatever reason SS gives that tag precedence.

snarlydwarf
2007-02-08, 11:35
Except for my "Jeff Buckley" Files. I have about 8000 tracks which appear correctly, but these two CDs don't show up under "J" for "Jeff", they show up under "B". Why? I don't know.

Because they have an ARTISTSORT tag defined.

Ben Sandee
2007-02-08, 11:51
On 2/8/07, snarlydwarf <
snarlydwarf.2lp8wn1170960002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> topa;178887 Wrote:
> > Except for my "Jeff Buckley" Files. I have about 8000 tracks which
> > appear correctly, but these two CDs don't show up under "J" for "Jeff",
> > they show up under "B". Why? I don't know.
>
> Because they have an ARTISTSORT tag defined.

If even *one* of the Jeff Buckley files have an ARTISTSORT tag defined, it
will alter the artist sort for all the others. It makes it harder to figure
out which file this is coming from, but I guess it's better than having
duplicate artist entries under each letter.

Ben

peter
2007-02-08, 13:53
Ben Sandee wrote:
> On 2/8/07, *snarlydwarf*
> <snarlydwarf.2lp8wn1170960002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com
> <mailto:snarlydwarf.2lp8wn1170960002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>>
> wrote:
>
>
> topa;178887 Wrote:
> > Except for my "Jeff Buckley" Files. I have about 8000 tracks which
> > appear correctly, but these two CDs don't show up under "J" for
> "Jeff",
> > they show up under "B". Why? I don't know.
>
> Because they have an ARTISTSORT tag defined.
>
>
> If even *one* of the Jeff Buckley files have an ARTISTSORT tag
> defined, it will alter the artist sort for all the others. It makes
> it harder to figure out which file this is coming from, but I guess
> it's better than having duplicate artist entries under each letter.

God, I'm happy I just use 'Music Folder' browsing.
Perhaps someone should write a tag-sanity check script or something to
help debugging stuff like this.

Regards,
Peter

audio53
2007-02-09, 07:49
God, I'm happy I just use 'Music Folder' browsing.
Perhaps someone should write a tag-sanity check script or something to
help debugging stuff like this.

Regards,
Peter

More and more I seem to be gravitating that way myself. Probably because I listen to mostly classical and tagging never supported classical very well. I do spend the time with the tags to get composers in and to correct the notorious errors from the various databases. Still seems difficult though finding things through tag browsing or searching.

Happy Friday,
Bob