PDA

View Full Version : Fishbone Interface Broken

soxfan
2007-02-07, 18:13
OK, I've probably just done something silly, and hopefully there is an easy fix, but somewhere along the line I seem to have broken the Fishbone interface. This is across several PC's, both Linux and Windows, using both IE and Firefox, so I'm assuming it's something on the server. I'm not exactly sure when this happened because I usually use the actual remote with my SB2 or the "virtual remote" with Softsqueeze. And when I have been using the web interface I've been using the same page; namely the "Random Playlists" page. I noticed the problem a couple of days ago when I was running the official 6.5.1 release of Slimserver under Fedora Core 6. Today I upgraded to the latest 6.5.2 nightly release, but it did not fix the problem. Hence this post.

The issue is that the Fishbone interface is "stuck" on one page. When I click on the drop down box in the upper left hand corner of the page, no matter what I select (Albums, Artists, Genres, etc.) nothing happens; the interface just stays on the same page I am in. I can go to the "Server Settings" page and the drop down there works fine. When I click on the "Home" link in the upper-right of the left-hand pane I get a repeat of the headings (Slimserver banner and Home/Server Settings/Help on first line; drop down box and search box on second line) and nothing else. At that point I have to hit reload, but this just brings me back to the "stuck" page.

The one strange thing I have noticed is that in the drop down list there is now a very long entry, starting with "DMS-1.00urn:microsoft.com:service" and continuing all the way across the page. I don't know where this entry came from, but perhaps it is related to an XBOX-360 that is on the network or the streaming media service I setup on a WinXP machine to serve content to the XBOX-360 because I see "upnp" a couple of times in the line. I have no idea whether this is related to the problem or not.

All the other interfaces that I have tried seemed to be fine. Any help on fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
John

kdf
2007-02-07, 18:31
Quoting soxfan <soxfan.2lnwiz1170897301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> "DMS-1.00urn:microsoft.com:service" and continuing all the way across
> the page.

This could be the name of a upnp service on your network, but not sure
what device it might be.

Try clearing the browser cookies.
-kdf

soxfan
2007-02-07, 19:04
This could be the name of a upnp service on your network, but not sure
what device it might be.
Actually, just doing some more troubleshooting I discovered that the upnp service is being advertised by MythTV, which is running on the same server as slimserver. I also found that by shutting down MythTV it gets rid of the extra long line in the drop down box, and restores Fishbone to working condition. I just started looking for a way to stop MythTV from advertising the upnp service. Anyone know if there is a way to make slimserver ignore upnp services?

Try clearing the browser cookies.
Should have mentioned that I had already tried this. It did change the page, in that it went back to the first (Album) page, but then it got stuck there, so really not a solution.

Thanks for your input.

soxfan
2007-02-07, 19:29
Just to follow up on my last message, I found this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30771, which suggests that disabling the Real Rhapsody plugin would also turn off Slimserver's uPNP functionality. However, I don't have the Rhapsody plugin enabled, so this post does not seem accurate.

kdf
2007-02-07, 19:30
On 7-Feb-07, at 6:04 PM, soxfan wrote:

>
>> This could be the name of a upnp service on your network, but not sure
>> what device it might be.
> Anyone know if there is
> a way to make slimserver ignore upnp services?
> '
add the startup parameter --noupnp

>> Try clearing the browser cookies.
> Should have mentioned that I had already tried this. It did change the
> page, in that it went back to the first (Album) page, but then it got
> stuck there, so really not a solution.
>

It could also be cache, although that is odd considering the problem
started on it's own.
you should try clearing the cache anyway, then doing a full browser
refresh of the page.

as you are using firefox, you can also try out the Firebug extension
which is a great tool for showing any errors that are going on behind
the scenes, like script failures. You can also try running the
slimserver from the command-line, which will show you anything that is
happing server-side to stop the pages from loading.

-kdf

soxfan
2007-02-07, 20:12
add the startup parameter --noupnp
Thanks, adding this option got rid of the "extra long" entry in the drop down box, and Fishbone is now working again.

It could also be cache, although that is odd considering the problem started on it's own. you should try clearing the cache anyway, then doing a full browser refresh of the page.

as you are using firefox, you can also try out the Firebug extension which is a great tool for showing any errors that are going on behind the scenes, like script failures. You can also try running the slimserver from the command-line, which will show you anything that is happing server-side to stop the pages from loading.
In addition to clearing cookies, I also did clear the cache on at least two systems. As I mentioned, I tried this on several PC's, both Windows and Linux, some of which I rarely, if ever, access the Slim web interface from, which led me away from it being a cache issue. Also, I pretty much never use IE, so I tried it specifically to rule out any cache problems.
When I get a minute I'll have a look at the Firebug extension. Maybe this is an actual bug in the slimserver software that I should be reporting.

Thanks for your help.