PDA

View Full Version : Constant drop-outs after changing ISPs

MeSue
2007-02-06, 15:35
Last month I switched from one satellite ISP (Wildblue) to another (HughesNet). When I was on Wildblue, I had my PC set to use a static IP address, but when I switched to HughesNet, it didn't work and the installer told me I had to change it back to dynamic IP.

This is the only thing that has changed with my network and ever since the switch to HughesNet, I have been getting frequent drop-outs when playing music through my Squeezebox. What it does is play for a while, then cut out as if it was powered off (screen goes blank). Then it immediately comes back on and shows the Slim Devices logo, connects to the network automatically, and goes back to playing. Sometimes this only happens once or twice in a night, but last night and earlier today it was doing it constantly.

Any suggestions?

MrSinatra
2007-02-06, 23:06
playing local music or internet radio?

if radio, get the new nightly and switch your SB from direct to proxy streaming.

MeSue
2007-02-06, 23:15
playing local music or internet radio?

Local music always.

Just tried the latest 6.5.2 and rebooted my router. Still doing it. :-(

MrSinatra
2007-02-06, 23:57
u don't need an ISP to play local music.

what OS do you use?

what router?

is your SB wired or wireless? signal strength?

what kind of files are you trying to play? bitrate?

set your PC to a static local IP number in the router, do the same for the SB. 192.168.1.100 and .101 as an example.

msui772
2007-02-07, 02:07
I had a similar problem. One of my SB3s was resetting frequently and last night I read a suggestion from another forum member that stated they had fixed the problem by downgrading to 6.5.0 so I installed 6.5.0 on a different machine (a Mac) and my squeezebox worked fine! I then upgraded the Mac to 6.5.1 and my squeezebox started resetting again - (played a few seconds of music, then screen goes blank then reboots).

So in short I suggest you try downgrading to 6.5.0 and let us know how you get on.

I have been in lengthy discussions with support. I have done all the resets (factory reset, xilinx reset) that they suggested. I reinstalled the server from scratch and then provided them with debug logs of the server when the SB3 reboots. I also informed them that the problem did not occur with v6.2.1 but they maintained I should send them back the unit and pay for a fixed price repair (90$). Last night I tried 6.5.0 and it worked so I told them and they say they are going to look into it.

Good luck,
Michael

MeSue
2007-02-08, 09:17
>>u don't need an ISP to play local music.<<

Yes, I know. I mentioned the ISP because that's when it started and I thought it might have something to do with changing my IP from static to dynamic.

OS is Windows XP Pro.
Belkin Router F5D7230-4
Wireless signal strength 85
Playing MP3 files... various bitrates 160 and up.

>>set your PC to a static local IP number in the router, do the same for the SB. 192.168.1.100 and .101 as an example.<<

I don't know how to do that.

>>I suggest you try downgrading to 6.5.0 and let us know how you get on. <<

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael. So far it has only happened once since restarting my router 2 days ago. If it starts happening more I will try that, but I had a problem with 6.5.0 that was resolved in the 6.5.1 version so going back doesn't seem like a good solution aside from troubleshooting.

MrSinatra
2007-02-08, 10:51
well, maybe u simply just needed to restart your router.

but fyi, there is a difference between the single public IP your ISP assigns your modem that your router then uses, and the many private IPs the router creates to enable your home network.

assuming your home network is typical, i don't see how the ISP could affect playing local music.

viro
2007-02-09, 01:47
Last month I switched from one satellite ISP (Wildblue) to another (HughesNet). When I was on Wildblue, I had my PC set to use a static IP address, but when I switched to HughesNet, it didn't work and the installer told me I had to change it back to dynamic IP.

This is the only thing that has changed with my network and ever since the switch to HughesNet, I have been getting frequent drop-outs when playing music through my Squeezebox. What it does is play for a while, then cut out as if it was powered off (screen goes blank). Then it immediately comes back on and shows the Slim Devices logo, connects to the network automatically, and goes back to playing. Sometimes this only happens once or twice in a night, but last night and earlier today it was doing it constantly.

Any suggestions?

Hi there!

I got the Same Router as you and a SB3.

I just downloaded the new slimserver and firmware and got the same problem as you!

The songs is choppy and dropsout, sometimes the song only shutter and rarely it goes black.

Playing mostly flac. but with mp3 it's the same.

/viro SE

randybrand
2007-02-09, 09:52
I have been having similar problems after moving my wireless router.When it was in the same room as the SB3 and only 10' away, things were fine. I moved it into a different room further away and with a microwave oven between the router and SB3. Finally figured out that my blank screen was directly related to whenever the microwave was turned on. You might be having similar interference from yours or a neighbors environment, new radio equipment (cordless phone, etc.). I am getting ready to move the router again.

raglencross
2007-02-09, 12:24
Don't wish to take the focus of MeSue's problem, but like her/him, my ISP uses satellite. Is there some different about this type of service (e.g. transit latency) that requires the use of a proxy, MrSinatra?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-09, 12:59
Is there some different about this type of service (e.g. transit latency)

IIRC, isn't satellite ISP service very "bursty", i.e. high speed when it does transmit/receive, but very high latency? So streaming media would be a real problem.

Googling "satellite ISP latency" shows latency on the order of 500 ms, even 2s! Ouch.

MeSue
2007-02-10, 10:03
Yes, satellite has very high latency. 500ms would be very good, but I don't think anyone on satellite gets that. On Wildblue it used to be around 600-700 ms average but then last November they did some kind of un-upgrade to cram more users on, and latency increased severely. I think it had something to do with prioritizing certain types of traffic so it made everything that wasn't plain vanilla web browsing turn to crap. That is part of the reason I switched. On HughesNet now I get 700-800 ms on average.

Wildblue & HughesNet both use a proxy, but in different ways. On WB I had to go into my browser settings and set it, but you could use it without the proxy. I never noticed a difference with it on or off. On HN, there are no settings to do in your browser--you apparently go through the proxy at the NOC. Which means, if there is a problem at the NOC, your connection stops working.

I've streamed music from Pandora over satellite internet and it works fine, but all these satellite ISPs have bandwidth caps, so you have to be careful to watch your usage.

RandyBrand: I don't think it's interference because it was happening late at night when I was the only one home. And my neighbors are too far away for it to be their phones--plus I don't think they talk on the phone at 2AM.

Yesterday I changed network drives and it started happening again. But SlimServer was scanning at the same time, so it might have been due to that. I have another problem related to the drive swap, but I will start a new thread about it.