PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Track Volume

Andyb01
2007-02-04, 06:16
When I purchase tracks off iTunes, the volume of the M4P files and the subsequent wav files that they create are well below the 0dB threshold; which results in mp3 files that are far quieter than those ripped from audio CDs. I get around this by importing the wavs into Audacity and then amplifying the level to around -0.5dB and then re-exporting to wav before ripping to mp3. Fortunately I don't buy too much material off iTunes as this is a bit of a long winded process. I also don't link my iTunes library with my SB as I prefer to organise my own library files.

Any idea whether iTunes tracks are just quiet or is there a simpler and quicker way I can fix this?

Cheers

Andy

SteveEast
2007-02-04, 08:10
Music that has been ripped with iTunes contains a tag called iTunNorm which is handled by SS but often seems to result in a dramatic volume reduction. I assume this tag is present in purchased music as well, but can't easily check because I've stripped it from my library.

Instead of adjusting, burning and reripping your purchased music you could try stripping the DRM from it with QTFairUse6:

http://www.hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1553

and then use a tagger such as mp3tag to remove any iTunNorm tag you may find.

Steve.

Andyb01
2007-02-04, 10:19
I assume this tag is present in purchased music as well, but can't easily check because I've stripped it from my library.
No idea - thanks for the link - I've tried this Hymn project stuff before and could never get it to work (still can't - it just makes an error beep when I run it) :-?

Look's like I'll just have to source my music from CD and use my workaround for the odd iTunes purchase. I have never understood Apple's attitude on DRM - it just annoys people and wastes their time whilst offering very little additional protection.

Andy

SteveEast
2007-02-04, 10:24
Which version of which stripper are you running?

Steve.

Andyb01
2007-02-04, 13:02
Now you're asking! I downloaded a zip file: QTFairUse6-2.5.zip and ran that - no result. Have also seen a product called Tunebite MP3 (http://www.tunebite.com/en/tunebite/index.html?affiliate=1a08f4ebe7e2be602256412ed41ed 96f) which seems to do the same thing (someone recommended this to me) do you know if it is any good?

Andy

SteveEast
2007-02-04, 13:17
That version of QTFU6 is the best one to use. You should try posting on the Hymn project forum. Someone there will probably be able to help.

Tunebite is basically the same as burning and re-ripping, just faster. It's sampling an already lossy compression so you lose more audio quality.

Steve.