PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the truth



chiefersone
2007-02-02, 08:08
Should I continue to use SB3 with my WINXP platform successfully or can you tell me that this new WIN Vista works too?

Ben Sandee
2007-02-02, 08:42
On 2/2/07, chiefersone <
chiefersone.2ldv6n1170429001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Should I continue to use SB3 with my WINXP platform successfully or can
> you tell me that this new WIN Vista works too?


Truth is subjective. If you look around there are a lot of reports of
people using Vista successfully. Then there are lots of people that are
having problems with Vista with a variety of software and hardware. Who's
to blame for this? Again, that's subjective. Microsoft presumably worked
very hard to maintain backwards compatibility, but I think it's clear that
they came up a bit short. If they can't get backwards compatibility right
on a very fixed platform like the Xbox/Xbox360, you can imagine how much
harder it is on something as varied as the modern PC.

The bottom line is that unless you simply enjoy tinkering, you would be wise
to just be patient and let Vista mature for a few months while everyone
addresses the issues that its release raises.

Ben

chiefersone
2007-02-02, 10:16
I think that might be the best advice....wait a bit and then go for it....first on board is not necessarily best on board....

P Floding
2007-02-02, 10:59
Should I continue to use SB3 with my WINXP platform successfully or can you tell me that this new WIN Vista works too?

Surely Slim Devices (Logitech) should have the resources to test SS on Vista?

Ben Sandee
2007-02-02, 12:26
On 2/2/07, P Floding <
P.Floding.2le31z1170439201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> chiefersone;176847 Wrote:
> > Should I continue to use SB3 with my WINXP platform successfully or can
> > you tell me that this new WIN Vista works too?
>
> Surely Slim Devices (Logitech) should have the resources to test SS on
> Vista?


And surely they will, but Vista is bleeding edge (whether MS admits it or
not) and the industry is in an upheaval trying to cope.

There have been people using SlimServer on Vista all throughout the Vista
release cycle. These users were most likely relatively experienced and
probably managed to work around any issues or simply disabled problematic
pieces like the new security framework in Vista.

Ben

fingers
2007-02-02, 13:18
On 2/2/07, P Floding <
P.Floding.2le31z1170439201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> chiefersone;176847 Wrote:
> > Should I continue to use SB3 with my WINXP platform successfully or can
> > you tell me that this new WIN Vista works too?
>
> Surely Slim Devices (Logitech) should have the resources to test SS on
> Vista?


And surely they will, but Vista is bleeding edge (whether MS admits it or
not) and the industry is in an upheaval trying to cope.

There have been people using SlimServer on Vista all throughout the Vista
release cycle. These users were most likely relatively experienced and
probably managed to work around any issues or simply disabled problematic
pieces like the new security framework in Vista.

Ben

The code and framework should not be new to SlimDevices as it is not new to other software manufactures as well. Software manufactures have known Vista is coming. They also have access to code to work with their applications

Ben Sandee
2007-02-02, 14:30
On 2/2/07, fingers <fingers.2le9jb1170447601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
>
> The code and framework should not be new to SlimDevices as it is not
> new to other software manufactures as well. Software manufactures have
> known Vista is coming. They also have access to code to work with their
> applications


What's your point? SD makes no representation that Vista is supported. I
develop software for a living and I can tell you that we have absolutely no
intention of supporting our products on Vista any time in the first half of
2007.

Ben

fingers
2007-02-02, 14:48
On 2/2/07, fingers <fingers.2le9jb1170447601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
>
> The code and framework should not be new to SlimDevices as it is not
> new to other software manufactures as well. Software manufactures have
> known Vista is coming. They also have access to code to work with their
> applications


What's your point? SD makes no representation that Vista is supported. I
develop software for a living and I can tell you that we have absolutely no
intention of supporting our products on Vista any time in the first half of
2007.

Ben

I never stated that SD makes any representation. Not sure where you get that. I also work for a major software company. I know that the code is made available. I will make sure to not look for your products ;)

Ben Sandee
2007-02-02, 14:59
On 2/2/07, fingers <fingers.2ledpb1170453001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I never stated that SD makes any representation. Not sure where you
> get that. I also work for a major software company. I know that the
> code is made available. I will make sure to not look for your products
> ;)
>

Maybe you should just go get yourself an iPod... surely those work perfectly
well on Vista. Oh wait, they don't work either? Hmm, a *Microsoft* Zune?
No, they didn't work either when Vista was released to businesses in
November. Gee, what DOES work on Vista? Early adopters need to beware.

Ben

fingers
2007-02-02, 15:42
On 2/2/07, fingers <fingers.2ledpb1170453001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I never stated that SD makes any representation. Not sure where you
> get that. I also work for a major software company. I know that the
> code is made available. I will make sure to not look for your products
> ;)
>

Maybe you should just go get yourself an iPod... surely those work perfectly
well on Vista. Oh wait, they don't work either? Hmm, a *Microsoft* Zune?
No, they didn't work either when Vista was released to businesses in
November. Gee, what DOES work on Vista? Early adopters need to beware.

Ben

Yup... be aware ;)

snarlydwarf
2007-02-02, 21:17
Looks like even the resources of NVidia don't guarantee Vista success....

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/03/0110248

(Though as I recall NVidia and Microsoft have some bad blood between them regarding payments for the original XBox GPU... maybe Microsoft did the DRDos trick on them... oh, wait, they would never do anything like that...)

fingers
2007-02-03, 11:14
Alright, got it to work! However, only on 6.3.1. Worked immediatly! I only told Windows Vista Firewall to allow Slim.exe. It appears to be an issue on 6.5.1 and also the nightly builds 6.5.2

Michaelwagner
2007-02-03, 14:05
I only started using XP recently. On a very small number of computers. That really needed it (laptops).

So I think I'll be ready for Vista around 2009 :-)

ModelCitizen
2007-02-03, 16:29
So I think I'll be ready for Vista around 2009 :-)
It should be ready for you by then I'd have thought.
MC

Michaelwagner
2007-02-03, 16:37
It should be ready for you by then I'd have thought.
MC

Good point, ModelCitizen. That should give Micro$oft enough time to blunt the worst of the bleeding edge of it.

t2t
2007-02-03, 16:50
Truth be told, if I had $3,500, I'd just go out and buy a Mac. While Microsoft spent the last 6 years and 6 billion dollars on Vista, Mac has released about 5 major updates to their OS.

Now, for reality. Vista was worth the $125 price of admission for the 32 bit home premium edition (OEM copy price, with buying hardware upgrades so I could run Vista). Instead of buying the Mac, I could, in theory go out and buy $3,300 of fun audio toys ... if I could just find the money. :)

With Vista, for those who have not come on board yet, I'd advise that you wait it out a bit longer.