PDA

View Full Version : FLAC to MP3 player on the fly -- no sound



ifoster
2007-02-01, 07:53
I have my music library FLAC encoded on a Win2k PC and want to be able to access it remotely using an MP3 player like WinAmp or Windows Media Player.

I can remotely connect to SlimServer using a browser via port 9000, and I can see the MP3 player listed as a player device, however I can't hear anything. The player shows it is connected to SlimServer (http://hostIP:9000/stream.mp3) and even pauses to buffer before starting to play, but there's no sound.

I have installed LAME into the \Slimserver\server\bin directory and SlimServer reports LAME is installed correctly. I have tried various settings for bitrate limiting and audio quality with no success. I have tried two different players with the same results on each, and have tried accessing it from two different remote PCs.

If I had to guess I'd say the problem was either getting LAME to translate on the fly, or that the player needs another firewall port (in addition to 9000) open for the stream. Or maybe it's as simple as me not "starting" the stream properly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

pjalle
2007-02-01, 11:36
I have the same problem with SlimServer 6.5.1. Try going back to 6.5.0. That solved the problem for me.

ifoster
2007-02-03, 06:36
I reverted to 6.5.0 (completely removed 6.5.1 first) and had to leave the computer running all night to scan my library. Finally I reinstalled LAME (from a different D/L location) in the /server/bin directory. Unfortunately I still get nothing out of my remote MP3 player -- it connects but there's no sound.

Rassin' frassin'...

ifoster
2007-02-04, 10:59
My problem was that I wasn't starting the stream for the remote player. The right half of the SlimServer browser screen is titled "SqueezeBox Music Player" however I never noticed the little pulldown menu in the top right that allows you to select WHICH player. It was defaulting to my local SqeezeBox however when I changed it to show my MP3 player the playlist was empty. A soon as I added songs, presto! -- it worked.

It was a little counterintuitive to have a window titled "SqueezeBox" control my non-SqueezeBox player.