PDA

View Full Version : iTunes on Windows SlimServer on Linux

jst1
2007-01-31, 21:01
SlimServer on Linux box; iTunes on Windows with iTunes folder (via samba) the same directory as SlimServer Music Folder (/srv/music).

The iTunes iTunes Music Library.xml file is on my Windows box 'C:\Documents and Settings\my_username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes'. Can I change the location of this file so that my slimserver on linux can read it? Can the xml file be located anywhere else?

I rip CDs and organize tags with iTunes, and use SlimServer to stream to a SqueezeBox and remote players over an ssh tunnel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

erland
2007-02-01, 01:12
Is there a reason that you want SlimServer to read the iTunes xml file ?

If you are just using iTunes for ripping and organizing tags it sounds like it would work to just specify the Music Folder in SlimServer to detect the music. No need for SlimServer to read the iTunes xml file in this senario. But maybe you are using iTunes for something else that requires the iTunes xml file information ?

Gildahl
2007-02-01, 12:09
I had the same problem. There is some data and metadata in the XML that is not available elsewhere. Unfortunately, you cannot change the location of the xml file on your Windows box. You can, however, share a Linux directory with Windows, and copy the xml file to this location after you've made changes in iTunes. This works well for me. You will just need to make sure the ITUNES MUSIC LIBRARY.XML LOCATION option in the iTunes server settings is set to the path to this shared location (as Linux sees it).

SlimServer on Linux box; iTunes on Windows with iTunes folder (via samba) the same directory as SlimServer Music Folder (/srv/music).

The iTunes iTunes Music Library.xml file is on my Windows box 'C:\Documents and Settings\my_username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes'. Can I change the location of this file so that my slimserver on linux can read it? Can the xml file be located anywhere else?

I rip CDs and organize tags with iTunes, and use SlimServer to stream to a SqueezeBox and remote players over an ssh tunnel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.