PDA

View Full Version : Internet eadio continually re-buffers

liffy99
2007-01-31, 13:34
Quite new to my SB3 and have really enjoyed it playing my music (FLAC encoded) without a problem.
I've now turned to the radio section but, despite being able to connect to many stations, the SB3 re-buffers every few seconds, regardless of station.
I've tried changing the buffer length (default is 3, max 30) to no effect. Bitrate is left uncapped (if I can stream FLAC at 800kbs I shouldn't have a problem wuth 160Kbs radio should I ?).
Software version is 6.5.1 (I've never used anything else as far as radio listening is concerned).
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-02, 07:18
Bitrate is left uncapped (if I can stream FLAC at 800kbs I shouldn't have a problem wuth 160Kbs radio should I ?).

Yes but this is comparing two networks: your FLACs are coming over your own personal network, wired or wireless. Wireless g is capable of 15 - 25 Mbps, wireless b perhaps 5 Mbps. Wired is easily capable of 80 Mbps +, 120 Mbps in consumer gigabit equipment.

But Internet radio is coming over the Internet. What is your download speed? Also do you have some sort of application on your network hogging bandwidth (for example, a bittorrent client)?

liffy99
2007-02-04, 04:38
Thanks - that's clear.
I've checked my download speed on several free web tools and they are coming out at between 1.6 and 2.3 Mb/Sec. My ISP contract is for 8Mb but the local loop won't do better than 3Mb so I'm told.

Background programmes ? Not 100% sure - I certainly don't use BitTorrent. I've looked at Task Manager and most of the processes there seem OK, though can't say I'm familiar with all of their names. Is there a Startup programmes folder in XP somwhere I can check ?

I've run my virus checker and spy tools and they haven't found much. That said one reports a Zlob process but when I looked at the recommended Registry entries and processes (in Task Manager) there was nothing there !

Hmmm ....

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-04, 10:44
Thanks - that's clear.
I've checked my download speed on several free web tools and they are coming out at between 1.6 and 2.3 Mb/Sec. My ISP contract is for 8Mb but the local loop won't do better than 3Mb so I'm told.

Should be good there.

I've run my virus checker and spy tools and they haven't found much. That said one reports a Zlob process but when I looked at the recommended Registry entries and processes (in Task Manager) there was nothing there !

Whoa, Zlob is a trojan! See http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-042316-2917-99

and

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeZlob.html

Note many malware apps have the ability to hide themselves from Task Manager.

Your Internet radio problems could be Zlob periodically calling home, interrupting the stream.

MrSinatra
2007-02-04, 23:14
recently a change was made to allow one to proxy a net stream, rather than have the SB do it direct.

grab the new nightly, and see if that solves the issue, let us know if it does.