PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instances of album titles



sdhubbard
2007-01-31, 08:11
There's something odd about how Slimserver displays the album list in the web interface on my machine. In album view, there are often multiple copies of the same album visible. Looking at the playlists associated with the albums, there are one or more tracks missing from the list. Usually it is track 1, but not always. Sometimes the extraneous album listings are empty.

What may be causing this behaviour? Rescanning the library doesn't make any difference to the albums that are displayed.

I'm running version 6.5.1 on a G4 iMac, using an iTunes library as my music source. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Steve

Siduhe
2007-01-31, 08:50
Are the albums in question compilation albums (i.e. more than one artist) ? If so, are your files organised so that files from the same album appear in more than one directory ?

See about half way down this thread (one of many on the subject):
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32108&highlight=multiple

Solution is to change the setting to Group Compilation Albums Together and to move the affected files so they sit in a single folder in your music directory.

If the albums in question are not compliations - I remember someone posting that playlist entries (i.e. same file in more than one playlist) were sometimes causing multiple instances in Browse Albums. Are you using Itunes / Music Magic by any chance - I think it may have been to do with the way that Slimserver imports the playlists from these applications ? Will see if I can find the thread.

sdhubbard
2007-01-31, 15:15
Thanks for the suggestions. The albums that are exhibiting the problem are not compilations.

I am using iTunes to manage my music library. I have Music Magic/Music Mixer IP installed but haven't created any playlists with it yet. The library seems pretty well ordered. All albums by each artist are grouped by artist name, with each album in its own folder. As far as I can tell each track that is appearing on its own 'album' only appears once in the iTunes library.

It gets stranger. I've just had a look at a couple more of the problem listings, and I've found one with tracks 1, 2 and 10 from a 10-track album listed, with another listing, under the same album name with tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9.

Steve

Siduhe
2007-02-01, 02:28
I'm afraid I don't use Itunes or Itunes integration, so I'm not sure what further help I can offer. It sounds like the structure of your library should work fine.

A basic suggestion would be to open up the files for the complete album in an entirely different tagging program - Media Rage is the only one I know works well for Mac, but there must be others. Have a look at the album tags - in particular is there anything different about the offending files ?

You don't say what format your files are in AAC ? MP3 ? but things to look out for would be different ALBUMSORT tags from ALBUM tags, or different ID3v1 tags vs ID3v2 (assuming MP3s).

If all else fails, force the ALBUM tag by resaving the album field for all files and then do a full clear and rescan. Does that sort you out ?

HTH

SteveEast
2007-02-01, 09:38
It gets stranger. I've just had a look at a couple more of the problem listings, and I've found one with tracks 1, 2 and 10 from a 10-track album listed, with another listing, under the same album name with tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9.

Steve

Make sure that iTunes has the same Disc Number info for all the tracks, i.e. 1 of 1 for a single album. Select all the tracks, do Get Info - you should then see the tags that are the same across all the tracks. Should be at least artist, album, Disc Number (1 of 1) and total number of tracks.

Steve.

sdhubbard
2007-02-01, 13:46
Thanks for the suggestions again. I've fixed the problem. The location of my iTunes library as I'd configured it in the web interface and its actual location on the external disk were different (I'd set its location to /external/Music whereas the iTunes library was actually stored in external/Music/iTunes Music). Clearing the incorrect option from the basic settings of the server and doing a complete rescan of the library has corrected the issue.

Steve