PDA

View Full Version : low volume

jlrood
2007-01-30, 17:48
I recemtly purchased a sb3 I have messed with all the volume settings and no matter what I do the volume seems very low at my normal volume setting. I have to set it much higher and when I want to crank it like I usually do it starts to clip! I had a different DAR (digital audio reciver) before I didn't have a problem. I've seen some threads where users were hard wiring and adding caps etc... , but I really don't want to do that. Any suggestions ? thanks in advance!!

Eric Carroll
2007-01-30, 17:51
What is your system setup & connections (preamp, power amp, integrated receiver, etc)?

CatBus
2007-01-30, 17:54
Replaygained music will typically play back at a lower volume than the original CD.

Is the volume what you expect it to be when you disable automatic volume adjustment?

jlrood
2007-01-30, 18:20
I got an amp and preamp tuner.. the only catch is I have 4 sets of speakers basement, garage, porch & livingroom and each set of speakers have their own volume control, but like I said it works for radio,cd player and my old DAR mp3 player

jlrood
2007-01-30, 18:23
Replaygained music will typically play back at a lower volume than the original CD.

Is the volume what you expect it to be when you disable automatic volume adjustment?

I got an amp and preamp tuner.. the only catch is I have 4 sets of speakers basement, garage, porch & livingroom and each set of speakers have their own volume control, but like I said it works for radio,cd player and my old DAR mp3 player

CatBus
2007-01-30, 18:38
No no, "Automatic Volume Adjustment" is under Settings on the Squeezebox. Not sure what its default value is. It's either set to "Album Gain" "Track Gain" "Smart Gain" or "None".

If your music is tagged with Replaygain tags, the Squeezebox could be dropping the volume down to a common reference level (purpose: smoother track transitions). Turn this off and see what happens.

SteveEast
2007-01-30, 18:43
And what are the actual volume settings on your SB? Are you using digital or analog outputs?

Steve.

jlrood
2007-02-01, 18:37
I'm using analog ouput ,i know all about the volume gains the preamp volume the remote volume, the this the that .... it plays my music ALOT LOWER than anything else I have hooked up to my stereo!!!!! that includes my old dell mp3 DAR that played the exact same mp3's off my pc. can anyone help?!!!

CatBus
2007-02-01, 19:02
While the music is playing, point the remote that came with the Squeezebox at the Squeezebox and hold down the button at the very top of the remote, in the middle, with an up arrow on it. Hold it down for several seconds. Does that help? Does it appear to do anything at all?

SteveEast
2007-02-01, 19:34
Have you tried connecting the SB to one of your stereo inputs that is playing normally?

Steve.

jlrood
2007-02-03, 18:29
yes... im telling ya, it's playing about 3db to 5db lower than anything I got going on. something is not right!!

Ben Sandee
2007-02-03, 20:24
On 2/3/07, jlrood <jlrood.2lgijz1170552601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> yes... im telling ya, it's playing about 3db to 5db lower than anything
> I got going on. something is not right!

Maybe all your other hardware is just too loud?

Ben

Skunk
2007-02-03, 21:13
yes... im telling ya, it's playing about 3db to 5db lower than anything I got going on. something is not right!!

It's worth noting that only a turntable can be plugged into the 'phono' input of a preamp. Like Steve said, switch the cd player and Sb3 connection on the preamp.

I hope you don't have all eight speakers connected to a single speaker output, unless the amp is ok with a load < 2ohm.

jlrood
2007-02-06, 20:22
On 2/3/07, jlrood <jlrood.2lgijz1170552601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> yes... im telling ya, it's playing about 3db to 5db lower than anything
> I got going on. something is not right!

Maybe all your other hardware is just too loud?

Ben
i hope your not serious

jlrood
2007-02-06, 20:37
It's worth noting that only a turntable can be plugged into the 'phono' input of a preamp. Like Steve said, switch the cd player and Sb3 connection on the preamp.

I hope you don't have all eight speakers connected to a single speaker output, unless the amp is ok with a load < 2ohm.

i wasn't plugged into phono it was aux/2 but i took your sugestion and tried it in the cd output... no difference still low! so I hooked up my ald mp3 dell player and the level is back where it should be same as my cd & radio... could it be the technology of my amp it's a carver amp that I've had for 20 yrs

Rick B.
2007-02-07, 06:33
Are you plugged into an AV receiver? Many of them have way of adjusting the relative volume of each input via the setup menu in order to balance them all out.

On my Integra receiver it is called "Intellivolume" and I can adjust each input from -6db to +12db. Very useful.

Anne
2007-05-22, 08:53
Statement retracted...

bukharin
2007-05-22, 18:33
I'm using analog ouput ,i know all about the volume gains the preamp volume the remote volume, the this the that .... it plays my music ALOT LOWER than anything else I have hooked up to my stereo!!!!! that includes my old dell mp3 DAR that played the exact same mp3's off my pc. can anyone help?!!!

But you still haven't told us if you've disabled ReplayGain, which is totally different from pre-amp volume, remote volume, and probably also "the this the that"...

In the SlimServer web interface, select Player Settings for (your player) / Audio

In the VOLUME ADJUSTMENT/REPLAY GAIN section, make sure you've selected "Disable Volume Adjustment"