PDA

View Full Version : play interruption

randybrand
2007-01-30, 17:31
I have been having periodic interruption or garbling of playback over my Squeezebox. It is wirelessly connected over the Linksys draft-n router which is wirelessly connected to the cpu hositng slimserver with a Linksys draft-n card. is it possible that I've got too much depending upon wireless that is creating the dropouts? I could get a less expensive G router and plug directly into the cpu and dedicate that network for slimserver only, thereby getting rid of the wireless leg between the cpu and the router...

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-01, 08:28
Yes, a 2-hop wireless arrangement doesn't work for everybody.

Could you not temporarily wire up the pre-n router to the server with a long patch cable? Or move the pre-n router close enough to be wired, just for tests (even if this involves unplugging the pre-n from your Internet connection)? It'll be ugly, but it'll only be temporary - if the issues go away then you can unplug the cable and buy a g router.

No need to guy a new router if the problem is caused by something else.

randybrand
2007-02-01, 10:33
I could bum a router from work and try that I suppose. I am thinking that it might be something else because I set the slimserver display to show the buffer size and it pegs at 100% when cutting out. Does the wireless network have anything to do with the slimserver buffer?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-01, 11:09
Does the wireless network have anything to do with the slimserver buffer?

Yes, definitely, but if you indicate it's at 100% it shouldn't be cutting out.

Try all the steps here then:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues

and copy/paste the text it gives you when you carry out that last section.

randybrand
2007-02-01, 11:46
Do you know if that test is available in 6.3? I rolled back to get rid of the problem with the end of songs getting chopped off.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-01, 12:25
Do you know if that test is available in 6.3? I rolled back to get rid of the problem with the end of songs getting chopped off.

Oh. Back then Network Test and Server and Network Health were plugins.

There were posts containing the files back in the Developers section (I think Triode wrote these) but the forum search seems to be down today.

Edit: Network Test is here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginDiagnostics but I don't know where Server & Network Health is, and that's the important one.

IIRC Server & Network Health might have been included in 6.3 as a built-in plugin. See Server Settings - Plugins.

randybrand
2007-02-01, 12:35
Thanks, I'll work on that tonight.