PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Apple Lossless

thesil
2007-01-30, 08:05
I would like to convert some of my music files in iTunes that are still Mp3, to Apple lossless. I converted a file or 2 and noticed that the original song was still in iTunes. Is this normal? I am concerned that if I "select all" to convert, then I will have thousands of duplicates. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

bodajmac
2007-01-30, 08:13
that's normal, itunes does retain the original file. one way to do it might be to convert everything then simply arrange your library by file type by clicking on that heading, then select all the mp3s and then delete them - slightly clunky, but easy enough!

thesil
2007-01-30, 08:20
Thanks. Yeah that is a little clunky, but I will give it a shot.
Gerry

bodajmac
2007-01-30, 08:35
if you're feeling flashy you could always create a smartplaylist for all items with file type mp3 and identify them that way :-)

CardinalFang
2007-01-30, 08:51
I would like to convert some of my music files in iTunes that are still Mp3, to Apple lossless. I converted a file or 2 and noticed that the original song was still in iTunes. Is this normal? I am concerned that if I "select all" to convert, then I will have thousands of duplicates. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

It would be better to re-rip them, you aren't gaining anything by converting them from MP3 to Apple Lossless otherwise, just gaining file size.

ModelCitizen
2007-01-30, 08:54
Convert from a lossy format to a lossless format? What a horrible idea. How are you going to keep track of which files are lossy and which are losssless (assuming you have or get truly lossless files)?
I hope none of them ever escape.
MC

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-01-30, 09:58
>I would like to convert some of my music files in iTunes that are still
>Mp3, to Apple lossless.

Why would you do that? I don't recommend you convert a compressed
music file (MP3) to something lossless. You won't gain any
improvement in music quality that way. You'll just have a much
bigger file that sounds exactly the same.

>I converted a file or 2 and noticed that the original song was still
>in iTunes. Is this normal?

Yes.

>I am concerned that if I "select all" to convert, then I will have
>thousands of duplicates.

Converting doesn't remove the original, so yes, you'll have thousands.

>Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Finally, although I'm a Mac person myself, I don't really recommend
ALAC (Apple Lossless) because it's a proprietary format. For new
rips, I suggest FLAC, unless you have to have it supported by iTunes.
FLAC decoding is done natively in the SB2/3/Transporter, and ALAC has
to be transcoded on the server side.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

thesil
2007-01-30, 10:09
I am a mac person as well and I am supported by iTunes. In that case, what should I be ripping new tunes as?

peter
2007-01-30, 11:35
thesil wrote:
> I am a mac person as well and I am supported by iTunes. In that case,
> what should I be ripping new tunes as?
>

I am my own person and I use Linux or Windows as I see fit. I think I
better stay away from this Mac thing before I start refering to myself
as a mac person too. ;)

Regards,
Peer

SteveEast
2007-01-30, 12:02
I am a mac person as well and I am supported by iTunes. In that case, what should I be ripping new tunes as?

If you definitely want to use iTunes then ALAC is probably your best choice for lossless. But, as others have mentioned :), you should definitely rerip anything that's currently in a lossy format like mp3 - no lossy => lossless transcoding.

Steve.

geraint smith
2007-02-01, 11:42

Two good choices: Apple Lossless or .aiff. Squeezeboxes don't seem to enjoy the former much: no ff or rew function, and it has to be transcoded on the fly to something they can read natively. However, it takes up no more space than FLAC (which has no such problems, but which iTunes and iPod can't play at all.).

Aiff, on the other hand, takes up about twice as much space as ALAC, but otherwise handles better because Squeezebox can read it natively. It does not need to be transcoded. FF and REW work, and there's much less burden on the server because there's no transcoding being done (so less likelihood of dropouts if you're using a slow old box like mine to run Slimserver). If you run the SB on a wireless network using Airport Extreme you may find that you get drop outs using Aiff if your house is nasty to it, in which case try setting up an Airport Express as a wireless/ethernet bridge (ie the AE receives the signal but transfers it to the Squeezebox via ethernet cable). I use this setup, with aiff, and it runs extremely well (but you need lots of disc space - ie 600Mb or so on average per CD).

Loads of threads on aiff/alac/flac etc. Try this one:

<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20693&highlight=max+flac+itunes>