PDA

View Full Version : my slimserver setup

firestorm
2007-01-30, 07:31
I'm on my fourth slimserver iteration now. I started off with a virtual pc running XP and windows shared folders. The virtual pc was running under ESX v2.2 dual P3 1Ghz and had 512Mb RAM dedicated to it. Disk space was a 5 x 250Gb raid 5 array with a Megalogic sata pcix controller. Performance was ok, though the networking performance was dire.

The 2nd version was similar, but using the excellent slimcd. The web interface was a litle snappier. I used this for a while, but decided the machine I was running it on, a dual proc HP, almost the size of a fridge was too power hungry, so I downsized it to a athlon 900, by that time I had found ClarkConnect which I liked and perservered with for 6 months or so which was the 3rd version.

Ultimately I found it removed me too far from the OS, but getting to the OS meant getting down and dirty with Linux. The issues I had were problems with permissions for sharing and slimserver, getting plugins to work etc.

I decided to simplify the setup and bought the following :

1) Asus P5BE Plus mb
2) Intel Core2duo 6300
3) 2 x 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC6400
4) 380W thermaltake silent psu

I already had

1) 5 x 250Gb Seagate Baracuda sata HD for data
2) 1 x 80Gb Seagate Baracuda sata HD for OS

I'm running SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11064 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252

As you'd expect it runs very, very well, I don't have issues transcoding, scanning. The server does my non music fileserving too.

I bought a power meter a while back, the inline type with a lcd display. Go the following results :

1) HP Netserver LH3000 (dual P3 1Ghz, 4Gb ram) 360VA
2) AMD athlon 900, 1Gb ram 210VA
3) New dual core 6300, 2Gb ram 120VA

* HP server running 5 x sata, 5 x scsi
others 5xsata + 1 IDE or 6xsata

I feel a little more omfortable leaving these one most of the time. I'm trying to figure a good way of getting the server to switch off by itself.

I ideally something like:

1) No requests for files or music > 60 minutes switch off
2) Request for music or files switch on for 120 minutes min

roberts
2007-08-03, 22:56
No reply? it is useful info, I learn more form this, great post and Thanks.

smarjan
2007-08-16, 14:09
I'm trying to figure a good way of getting the server to switch off by itself.

I ideally something like:
1) No requests for files or music > 60 minutes switch off
2) Request for music or files switch on for 120 minutes min

Basic Windows functionality will do the first one. You can simply set the Power Options to go to standby or hibernate after some time of inactivity.
Then fiddle a little bit in Lan Setup to make it wake-up when called by server.
My setup works fine as described.

JJZolx
2007-08-16, 14:38
Basic Windows functionality will do the first one. You can simply set the Power Options to go to standby or hibernate after some time of inactivity.
Then fiddle a little bit in Lan Setup to make it wake-up when called by server.
My setup works fine as described.

What does Windows consider 'inactivity'? With SlimServer running and a Squeezebox on the network there will always be some level of network activity, won't there?

mark-e-mark
2007-08-18, 14:49
Very sweet setup. Thanks for posting. I would like create a server like this and add a Video/Tuner card to drive the big monitor. I plan to put the RAID 0 drives in a Linksys NAS http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281671&Sku=L48-2606&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG
since I already store my flac files on them. This should allow me to run the server with no fans or a slow case fan in order to silence it. I'll need wireless card to connect to the office router, and LAN connection for the SB3.

You think this would work? Any other suggestions for my Win2003 Media Server?

firestorm
2007-08-29, 13:47
ahh some replies !

I still haven't managed to get the thing to go to sleep yet, so I'm still swoitching it off manually :( when I remember.

Some new additions, took out two of the 250Gb and replaced them with 500Gb drives, the 250Gb are in external enclosures, bought ones with esata, I use these as backup drives.

If I was to build this again, I'd probably go for an AMD BE-2350 dual core, as it has lower idle power requirements than the Intel equivalent.

Other things that have changed is that I have another SB, a SB2, but in a nasty silver finish. I plan to move it into another case and make it into my "poor man's" transporter, with linear psu etc.

firestorm
2007-08-29, 13:49
Very sweet setup. Thanks for posting. I would like create a server like this and add a Video/Tuner card to drive the big monitor. I plan to put the RAID 0 drives in a Linksys NAS http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281671&Sku=L48-2606&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG
since I already store my flac files on them. This should allow me to run the server with no fans or a slow case fan in order to silence it. I'll need wireless card to connect to the office router, and LAN connection for the SB3.

You think this would work? Any other suggestions for my Win2003 Media Server?

I'd backup my media files, ripping cds is not a pleasant experience

queequeg
2007-08-30, 14:39
Check the BIOS power mgt settings on your MB. You may be able to adjust settings to idle just about everything after a set period of inactivity. Also, the SB will send a wake-on-lan (WOL) signal to your computer if the computer is off at the time you turn on the SB.

HTH