PDA

View Full Version : Take a hint from iPod interface?

JJZolx
2007-01-29, 21:10
I recently got an iPod Nano for listening on the go. First iPod that I've ever owned, or even used for that matter.

One thing I like in the (really) simple Nano user interface is that when scrolling rapidly through a long list it switches from displaying each individual item to displaying the first letter of the sorted items. Very nice touch, as it's nearly impossible to read the items as they fly past.

I think the Squeezebox remote interface would benefit from a similar treatment. It might not only make scrolling through long lists easier, it may make it faster as well. I'd imagine that once you switched into "letter scroll mode", you're no longer limited by the inherent latency of feeding items to the display across the network. You could display one letter every second, for instance, making zipping through the alphabet rather fast.

JJZolx
2007-01-29, 21:42
Here's a screen shot of the iPod Nano showing what I'm talking about. From what I'm reading, this navigational feature is new to the second generation Nano.

Probably doesn't need to be nearly as fancy as using an overlay over the underlying album/track/artist name. Just displaying the letter by itself would suffice.

Ben Sandee
2007-01-29, 22:42
On 1/29/07, JJZolx <JJZolx.2l7i8z1170132301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Here's a screen shot of the iPod Nano showing what I'm talking about.
> >From what I'm reading, this navigational feature is new to the second
> generation Nano.
>
> Probably doesn't need to be nearly as fancy as using an overlay over
> the underlying album/track/artist name. Just displaying the letter by
> itself would suffice.

I bet that it's patented. Nearly everything Apple does is.

Ben

mherger
2007-01-30, 01:23
> One thing I like in the (really) simple Nano user interface is that
> when scrolling rapidly through a long list it switches from displaying
> each individual item to displaying the first letter of the sorted
> items.

It's something I once tried to do in MusicInfoSCR. The problem (with my
implementation) was, that the large letter will partially be overwritten
by whatever should be displayed on the top line, making it very flickery
and hard to read. But it's still somewhere in the back of my head...

BTW: I'm not sure I saw this on an iPod, but somewhere else as well.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Gregory Hamilton
2007-01-30, 09:58
My Cingular 8125 (Windows Mobile 5) device has this feature also.

RaK
2007-01-30, 13:10
Sorry guys, but I didnt get the point. If you want to scroll fast through a alphabetical list just press the number keys and like a in a phone text message you can jump to the place you want in the list beginning with that letter. This is faster than the iPod style, isn't it?

Nostromo
2007-01-30, 13:13
Sorry guys, but I didnt get the point. If you want to scroll fast through a alphabetical list just press the number keys and like a in a phone text message you can jump to the place you want in the list beginning with that letter. This is faster than the iPod style, isn't it?

My thought exactly.

funkstar
2007-01-30, 15:44
Out of 350ish artists i bet i could get to Zero 7 quicker on my SB than an iPod *without* just going up and looking to the bottom of the list :)

Tarn
2007-01-30, 16:47
Nice feature for those of us using tablets or WiFi remotes intead of keyboards though...

Brian Ritchie
2007-01-30, 17:38
Nice feature for those of us using tablets or WiFi remotes intead of keyboards though...

... or you could just use the by-letter links at the top and bottom of the Artists page on most skins...

Re. the iPod mechanism: I can hardly ever get the "big letter" to appear on mine (and it's not as if it's short of contents) - it always ends up just whizzing way past wherever I was trying to go.

-- Brian