PDA

View Full Version : PepperPad3 as slimserver remote

bklaas
2007-01-29, 13:09
This device has been brought up in past threads, but I thought I'd ping the forum again about it--

Has anyone tried using a PepperPad3 as a slimserver remote?
http://pepperpad.com

More specifically, have you tried either Nokia770 or Touch skin on it? How does it work?

I'm really intrigued by the PepperPad3 because of its combination of WiFi and IR. Potentially a fantastic DIY slimserver remote. They already market it as a combination internet tablet and universal remote, so the seeds are there.

Not so intrigued about the price (~$600). Though I can understand why a device like this might cost that much, Nokia's 800 must be seriously undercutting their sales.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2007-01-29, 13:17
just did some searching around the pepperpad forum...

looks like somebody on the pepperpad forum is using slimserver with their pepperpad, but not with a squeezebox...he actually installed softsqueeze directly on the pepperpad! I'm shocked, since the pepperpad is linux-based and I've never had success running softsqueeze on my heavyweight (in comparison) linux desktop PC. Amazing he got it to work on a handheld.

http://www.pepper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383&highlight=slimserver

another thread on the pepper forum by gandt (this is the only person on the slim forums I know to be using the pepperpad), discussing using Nokia770/Touch skins and full screen on the browser. gandt, if you're reading this--ever figure this one out?
http://www.pepper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548&highlight=slimserver

gandt
2007-01-29, 13:21
I use it all the time with the slightly pathetic mod to "touch" I suggested the last time this came up. It works well enough and, of course, its built in speakers are a bit more powerful than those on the nokia (dunno about n800 though). Its water resistant so it has become the "bathroom squeezebox"!

I like the Pepperpad and use it more than the Nokia - mainly because the form factor makes it a better living room tablet. It is the way the family does quick web based tasks whilst watching TV. The Nokia slips in the pocket so is better "out and about" but seems to me the Pepperpad 3 is designed to live in the lounge, has IR and therefore makes the better uber remote.

I do not think though that it is better than the Nokia, just clearly different.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-30, 08:01
I think Ben is trying for a Pepper Pad developer discount! :-D

I would rather have a Pepper Pad than a laptop if all I wanted it for was a SlimServer Super Remote. It's a bit cheaper (only a bit).

Unfortunately the website doesn't say where/how to get one. I highly doubt they are available in Canada except through import, which can significantly raise the price well beyond simple currency conversion.

bklaas
2007-01-30, 08:24
I think Ben is trying for a Pepper Pad developer discount! :-D

I would rather have a Pepper Pad than a laptop if all I wanted it for was a SlimServer Super Remote. It's a bit cheaper (only a bit).

Unfortunately the website doesn't say where/how to get one. I highly doubt they are available in Canada except through import, which can significantly raise the price well beyond simple currency conversion.

Ya know, it's funny you should say that, because the other day I looked at their "contact us" section of their website and the U.S. representation is about a 10 minute walk from my house in Minneapolis. I had visions of showing up unannounced and asking for a demo unit, just to see what they'd say. I'm not sure exactly how I'd build a hybrid IR/WiFi application, but it sure does sound promising (IR for immediate squeezebox response, WiFi for stuff like cover art, etc.).

FWIW, there is a "buy now" link on the website, at least on the site that's served up to U.S. (there's clearly a IP-country redirect here). Amazon.com, Target.com, eCost.com, and jr.com all carry it. I think you're once again getting screwed because you're in the Great White North.

Laptops as slimserver controllers typically are light years more responsive than any of these type of devices, and I don't even care that much about the size. But, they suffer in a couple of critical ways for me: 1. laptops make noise 2. I have two daughters < 3 years old that would like nothing better than to destroy anything in their path.

To be honest, the slimserver IR remote works just fine for me, and that's what I use 95% of the time. I think I just like pursuing this stuff because the skin development has become a bit of a hobby for me. Plus, gadgets are fun.

Just to play devil's advocate on myself though, if the PepperPad could be an effective remote for my audio receiver, squeezeboxen, xbmc, Comcast DVR, television, and home theater receiver, that would be pretty sweet. Kind of like that fancy Harmony remote that KDF linked to a few days ago, but with DIY appeal (twice the work! half the fun!)

alrighty then,
#!/ben

cheers,
#!/ben

mherger
2007-01-30, 08:57
> I'm not sure exactly how I'd build a
> hybrid IR/WiFi application, but it sure does sound promising (IR for
> immediate squeezebox response, WiFi for stuff like cover art, etc.).

I guess this will be hard, as IR codes are interpreted in a context. You'd
have to send sequences of codes :-/.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-30, 09:14
FWIW, there is a "buy now" link on the website, at least on the site that's served up to U.S. (there's clearly a IP-country redirect here). Amazon.com, Target.com, eCost.com, and jr.com all carry it.

I probably just missed the "buy now" link - I find their website cluttered and hard to navigate (and initially the drop-down menus wouldn't work).

I think you're once again getting screwed because you're in the Great White North.

This is probably the case, although you're actually further north than me. ;-)

Minneapolis, MN: 45 degrees North

London, Ontario, Canada: 42 degrees 59 minutes North

So...how's the weather up there, Ben? :-)

Just so I don't go completely off-topic, IR/wifi control would be incredible but sounds complicated. What would be neat though is for the app to use IR if possible, wifi if not, but it would have to know if an IR command was received before it sent out the same request via wifi, which would be tricky. But think of its usage pattern: in front of an SB, IR. If not in line of sight anymore, like in another room, it would have to resort to wifi exclusively for control. There would have to be some way of knowing if its IR commands were being received.

bklaas
2007-01-30, 09:46
Okay, you've largely convinced me the hybrid IR/WiFi thing is well beyond my humble reach. I'm sure I'd get halfway through and find out Apple has some kind of pre-emptive patent on it too. ;)

Canada is to the south of me...you just blew my mind.

And since you asked, my little weather app says we just topped out at a balmy 1 degree F (that's around -17 C for the metric elite).

cheers,
#!/ben

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-30, 10:05
Okay, you've largely convinced me the hybrid IR/WiFi thing is well beyond my humble reach. I'm sure I'd get halfway through and find out Apple has some kind of pre-emptive patent on it too. ;)

That's too bad, the IR/wifi idea is really great. But as I said, you'd have to get some indication that the IR signal was received before trying the same command with wifi. Without bidirectional IR, this is tricky.

And since you asked, my little weather app says we just topped out at a balmy 1 degree F (that's around -17 C for the metric elite).

"Down here" in the tropics 138 miles south of you it's a balmy -8 C, 18 F. T-shirt weather - think I'll go to the beach.

gandt
2007-01-30, 10:23
When I used the Nokia as my "slim wifi remote" using the nokia skin I think that, like Ben, I probably only used it (once the novelty had worn off) about 10% of the time, the normal remote was fine, but with the pepper pad its at least 50/50. Hard to say exactly why but it probably something to do with the fiddle factor - I just find I'm playing with the pad more generally - bigger screen probably - and that means using it more for the Squeezebox. The exact screen size also helps makes the icons and cover art look...ahem...shuffles embarrassedly...cooler.

A true Pepperpad skin (not my horrible kludge) would was be a marvellous thing and my $10 contibution towards Ben getting a Pepperpad would be in the post or paypal or whatever...

nicketynick
2007-01-30, 10:28
Canada is to the south of me...you just blew my mind.

cheers,
#!/ben

The easy way to keep it in perspective is to remember that Detroit is across the river from Windsor - to the North!!