PDA

View Full Version : Delete File from Library Via Remote?

GeorgeE12
2007-01-29, 00:43
Hi, quick question:

Is there a built-in way, or a plug-in, which would allow me to delete a music file from my music library via the remote control?

Let's say I've got a ton of new music in my library. I'm listening to all the new stuff, song by song, but if I don't like the song, I'd like to be able to press a button and delete the actual file from my hard drive and then move on to the next song in my playlist.

Anybody heard of anything like this?

Thanks,

George

ceejay
2007-01-29, 01:06
In a word, no - sounds pretty dangerous to me! You might instead want to consider using the "zap" feature which adds the song to a special "zapped" list which you can deal with later (I think there is a plugin which will stop zapped files playing).

HTH
Ceejay

mherger
2007-01-29, 01:11
> Is there a built-in way, or a plug-in, which would allow me to delete a
> music file from my music library via the remote control?

No. SlimServer does not touch your files in any way other than reading.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

GeorgeE12
2007-01-29, 01:17
Thanks. Yeah I know it's dangerous, but it would save me a lot of niggling work. I've got several thousand songs I want to go through and I don't know if I want them in my library or not.

I don't see how it could be that dangerous if it was a menu option that you had to specifically navigate to, especially if it had an "are you sure" option. Anything would be better than walking over to the computer for each song I want to delete.

Because, I'd like to, you know, actually be listening to the songs through the squeezebox, rather than turn it into a task that I have to sit at a computer for.

And I would use the zapped playlist, but that thing always seems to mysteriously disappear on me. I have no idea what the trigger for that is -- does it get recleared on a server restart? A playlist change? Who knows. But, if I take the trouble to listen to 2000 songs and select 500 for later deletion, I sure as hell don't want to take a chance and lose all that work. So I'm not taking a chance on "zapped", thank you very much though.

In a word, no - sounds pretty dangerous to me! You might instead want to consider using the "zap" feature which adds the song to a special "zapped" list which you can deal with later (I think there is a plugin which will stop zapped files playing).

HTH
Ceejay

slimkid
2007-01-29, 10:51
It's not dangerous because one might just deleted a song. In short, it's dangerous because it just might open a security hole, where somebody on the network could gain the access to your computer.