PDA

View Full Version : Home Music Network Setup

rdf-dallas
2007-01-28, 15:28
I need advice on improving the audio quality of my home music network. I have ceiling speakers in 5 rooms centrally wired to some sort of powered amp/splitter (I'm not savvy about this stuff) that connects to a Marantz SR4320 Receiver. I am connecting my Squeezebox to the Marantz, but the only port that seems to work is the phono input. I'm getting sharp gain on a lot of recordings and internet radio. Any advice on a better setup or amplifier? I have also been loading CD's into ITunes using Apple's AAC encoder, but assume I should start using Lossless.

aubuti
2007-01-28, 15:50
Definitely do not use the phono input (assuming you mean a phonograph/turntable input). The output from turntables is very low, so receivers have a phono preamp connected to the phono inputs. The preamp boosts the signal and does some equalization. You definitely don't want either with the SB output.

Try using a tape monitor or aux input instead of the phono, or if it's a receiver produced in the last 10 years or so, the VCR input. One of those other inputs should work.

Most folks around here would recommend ripping to lossless. See the Slim Devices wiki for a nice beginner's guide: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/

rdf-dallas
2007-01-28, 16:29
I've tried using the Tape and VCR inputs on the receiver, but I can't get any output from them. That's the only reason I was using the Phone input.

aubuti
2007-01-28, 18:37
That's odd. Those inputs could be broken. Or maybe you have the sound on the SB turned way down. Or maybe something else. Here's something to try.

1. Take your CD player or anything else you have connected to the receiver and is presently working, and try running that through the tape or vcr input. Does it work?

2. Try running your SB through whatever input on the receiver you are using now that is working (CD or other). Does that work?

Good luck.

Skunk
2007-01-28, 19:27
Any advice on a better setup or amplifier? I have also been loading CD's into ITunes using Apple's AAC encoder, but assume I should start using Lossless.

I agree that you should check if the volume is high enough on the Sb3, and try any input other than phono. Do you generally listen to all the speakers at the same time?

A better setup would start with more squeezeboxes, so you can control the music from the other rooms rather than the speaker selector-splitter switch. More importantly with regards to sound quality you'll have a seperate amp for that room's speakers as well.