PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing thumbnails?

polocruz
2007-01-28, 11:28
Has anyone else run into this?

I recently upgraded to 6.5.1 and noticed that in "gallery view" the albums' thumbnails which were previously displayed now only showed the "placeholder" image (folder with the question mark) but has a black border around it.

However, the correct art and tracks show up when I select the album. I did a clear/re-scan with no change. I've since done a full uninstall, plus manually deleting the SS directories and re-installed.

That brought the thumbnails back, but I noticed that they disappeared again after I changed the "compilation album" behavior settings. Coincidence? I don't know... just re-tracing my steps, trying to find a cause and effect.

BTW, didn't there used to be an option to not use placeholders when no album art was available?

I've also tried different browsers, Firefox, IE, Netscape7.1, with the same effect.

More info, as an example:
The "black bordered" image file has this property
http://localhost:8000/music/2378/thumb_100x100_f_000000.jpg

While the correct image has this:
http://localhost:8000/music/4342/cover.jpg

I'm not versed in the database hierarchy, but shouldn't the thumb and cover.jpg point to the same directory?

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.
Paolo

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.0.101
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

JJZolx
2007-01-28, 11:40
Has anyone else run into this?

I recently upgraded to 6.5.1 and noticed that in "gallery view" the albums' thumbnails which were previously displayed now only showed the "placeholder" image (folder with the question mark) but has a black border around it.

The thumbnails are now generated by SlimServer on-the-fly and cached. If you're seeing the black background behind the image, this is a .jpg that I believe comes from something in the thumbnail caching code. The 'placeholder' image is a tranparent .png.

Try clearing your artwork cache at \server\Cache\Artwork. You might also have to restart the SlimServer service.

polocruz
2007-01-28, 16:42
Thanks Jim.
I stopped Slim Server then cleared the cache. Restarted SS, but still had the "black placeholders."

I then did a clear/rescan and that brought the thumbnails back. It would be nice to know what caused this. At least I know how to bring the thumbnails back.

I'll have to make note of my "movements" through SS to see if I can reproduce this behavior.

Cheers,
Paolo

DrNic
2007-01-29, 11:21
BTW, didn't there used to be an option to not use placeholders when no album art was available?

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.
Paolo

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.0.101
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Hi Paolo
You are right there did used to be a delete placeholders option - I miss that too!!... I guess that because the latest SS uses a Gallery to browse the whole Music Collection, missing out albums without artwork would mean not being able to browse the whole collection.

Nic

JJZolx
2007-01-29, 11:26
You are right there did used to be a delete placeholders option - I miss that too!!... I guess that because the latest SS uses a Gallery to browse the whole Music Collection, missing out albums without artwork would mean not being able to browse the whole collection.

Yes. I think it was eliminated in part to avoid the inconsistency between the gallery and list views - otherwise, you'd have albums appearing and disappearing only because they were missing artwork.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3703

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-29, 13:13
From what I see on my system, a black-background placeholder means "there used to be a placeholder here, but I can't find it", usually because the file was changed somehow.

A grey-background placeholder means there's no album art, the thumbnail was never there.

polocruz
2007-01-29, 17:53
Lost the thumbnails again. I suspect that it may be related to the my NAS disk mapping? ... though it was never a problem before 6.5.1

Slim Server is on an XP machine with the flacs/art on a NAS. I'll be copying the library on a USB drive and see If I still get the same behavior.

Cheers,
Paolo