PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Playlists not updated automatically

tharrison
2007-01-28, 11:18
One more try on this problem...

Changes to iTunes playlists are not getting automatically updated by SlimServer 6.5.1 (nor 6.5.0 and possibly prior versions). Pretty much a standard installation of iTunes 7.02 (and prior) and SlimServer on Windows XP. New playlists are not added, music changed in existing playlists is not updated.

If click Rescan with "Look for new and changed music" set on Server Settings / Basic Settings everything is good: playlists are properly aligned with iTunes.

Server Settings / iTunes Settings > iTunes Reload Interval is set to 3600. I have waited more than an hour, and tried numerous modalities (iTunes running, not running, start/stop SlimServer, and others) -- nothing seems to cause the playlists to update, except the explicit rescan.

What can I do to make automatic updates work correctly?

Tom

SteveEast
2007-01-28, 12:06
I have to confess I didn't know they were meant to be updated automatically. Has this ever worked for you?

Steve.

Siduhe
2007-01-28, 12:30
The wiki explains this better than I can, but as I understand it, the Itunes playlists which show in Slimserver are a snapshot of the Itunes database at the time of the Slimserver scan. So I don't think they will update automatically - only when you do a scan via Slimserver. So what you are seeing is expected behaviour, I think.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

tharrison
2007-01-28, 14:38
Thanks both for your replies. But I don't think I am misunderstanding this text which is part of the server interface...

ITUNES RELOAD INTERVAL
When your iTunes Music Library changes SlimServer will automatically import the library information. You can specify the minimum amount of time (in seconds) that SlimServer will wait before reloading your iTunes Music Library again. A value of zero disables the reload.

The default for this value is 3600 seconds (an hour). Further, the wiki states:

The interaction with iTunes occurs when SlimServer does a music scan. By default, a full scan occurs when you start SlimServer and then an incremental scan every time the iTunes Library changes and the iTunes rescan interval has elapsed.

The iTunes Library changes at least whenever iTunes is closed (and perhaps is updated more frequently).

I am pretty sure the automatic updating has worked in the past, but confess that I wasn't diligently looking. I am certain that it does not work automatically for me now, but does work manually.

Any ideas?

SteveEast
2007-01-28, 16:41
I guess I thought you meant that the revised playlist should appear the moment it was changed. But you're saying it doesn't appear when SS does the "scan on iTunes change"?

Is the automatic scan actually being done? Is it picking up any new or changed music you have in iTunes?

Steve.

tharrison
2007-01-28, 17:06
I guess I thought you meant that the revised playlist should appear the moment it was changed. But you're saying it doesn't appear when SS does the "scan on iTunes change"?

Is the automatic scan actually being done? Is it picking up any new or changed music you have in iTunes?

No. The automatic scan does not appear to be getting done. It it is scanning, it is not updating things -- more likely it's just not happening.

I understand the purpose of the threshold: limit the number of times the server tries to update the library -- not every time it changes, but once every hour (or whatever) if it does change. This avoids thrashing.

Tom

SteveEast
2007-01-28, 17:59
So rather than just the playlists not being updated, the problem appears to be larger in that the automatic scan isn't being done?

Try adding a new track to the iTunes library and waiting to see if it appears in SS.

I don't know for sure what the automatic scan keys off - I had assumed it was a change in the timestamp on the iTunes .xml file. I just took a quick look at the iTunes pulgin code and that appears to be the case.

Steve.

tharrison
2007-01-28, 18:07
So rather than just the playlists not being updated, the problem appears to be larger in that the automatic scan isn't being done?

Try adding a new track to the iTunes library and waiting to see if it appears in SS.

I don't know for sure what the automatic scan keys off - I had assumed it was a change in the timestamp on the iTunes .xml file. I just took a quick look at the iTunes pulgin code and that appears to be the case.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. No, I have waited an hour about 10 times now, checking timestamps on the two possible iTunes Library files (the .itl and the .xml); both timestamps are updated, but the scan never occurs.

Newly added music files are immediately found by SS, but I think that's because they are in directories that SS is otherwise aware of.

SteveEast
2007-01-28, 18:09
Newly added music files are immediately found by SS, but I think that's because they are in directories that SS is otherwise aware of.

Sorry, can you explain that? If iTunes is managing your library, how can SS find new tracks except through iTunes?

Steve.

randybrand
2007-01-28, 19:25
I have had the same problem. Search the FAQ for iTunes and you will find #1005 that shows how to specify the .xml file.

Meatwad650
2007-01-28, 23:27
Just to confirm...it does work for me (iTunes 7.0.2 on OS X 10.3.9.). Updated playlists show up right away.

tharrison
2007-01-29, 17:56
Just to confirm...it does work for me (iTunes 7.0.2 on OS X 10.3.9.). Updated playlists show up right away.

Thanks very much. This is very helpful, as it narrows the problem I have to some combination of my configuration or my OS.

Tom

tharrison
2007-01-29, 17:58
I have had the same problem. Search the FAQ for iTunes and you will find #1005 that shows how to specify the .xml file.

Thanks. Yes, I have read this post as well, and tried it to the letter, and still while I am able to force a Rescan by clicking the button in the server interface, it does not automatically update.

Both of these are also true if I clear the two location references for the iTunes as the main screen instructions suggest. That is: explicit click of Rescan button does a rescan; automatic rescan does not work.

It would be really helpful if there there were some logging I could look at or turn on in order to determine what is not happening properly on my system. Anyone have any tips on actual problem diagnosis?

Thanks --

Tom

tharrison
2007-01-29, 18:15
Sorry, can you explain that? If iTunes is managing your library, how can SS find new tracks except through iTunes?

I would have to read the SS code to know. Just reporting what I believe to be true :-)

Steve -- Thanks for your help so far. I appreciate it. Some background on me: I have worked as a software engineer for 25 years now and have become reasonably proficient at finding solutions to problems. I know there's something messed up with my configuration (I would assume some sort of registry issue, for example), but I don't know how to diagnose it. I am not really motivated to dig into the code base as this is the work I get paid to do all day, but am willing to work a little. I am very confident that I have exhausted the available documented instructions and workarounds for the problems around iTunes library stuff. I am hopeful that either a) I am being an idiot and have failed to understand something, or b) I have found a problem, which if identified correctly, could help the developers writing SS handle (or at least report an error) for a case they may not be handling now. At this point, I feel like I have mostly ruled out that my idiocy is a cause in this particular case ('tho a quick talk with my co-workers will confirm that my idiocy is never completely ruled out :-). So I welcome any advice that will help me provide clear information to help isolate the problem.

Tom

SteveEast
2007-01-29, 19:26
I suggest you set some of the debug options under Server Settings/Debugging and see what pops out. Let's try d_scan, d_itunes and d_itunes_verbose. You might want to decrease the iTunes reload interval to a couple of minutes just for testing. Then make some changes in Itunes and we'll see what the log ends up showing - if anything.

Steve.

tedfroop
2007-01-30, 08:18
Just a silly question, are the play lists in question normal or intelligent play lists?
I was having the same problem but came to the realization SlimServer was picking up my normal play lists and not the intelligent play lists.