PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts Across Network

dougwise
2007-01-28, 10:53
I have music on two computers that I would like SlimServer to see. I put a shortcut in the main music directory for the remote folder, but SlimServer only sees these files if the shortcut points to a drive on the computer where SlimServer is running. I am running 6.5.1 on Windows XP.

I tried mapping the remote folder to a local drive and pointing the shortcut to the local drive letter, but that didn't work either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of how shortcuts work with SlimServer?

Thanks,

Doug

JJZolx
2007-01-28, 11:50
I have music on two computers that I would like SlimServer to see. I put a shortcut in the main music directory for the remote folder, but SlimServer only sees these files if the shortcut points to a drive on the computer where SlimServer is running. I am running 6.5.1 on Windows XP.

I tried mapping the remote folder to a local drive and pointing the shortcut to the local drive letter, but that didn't work either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of how shortcuts work with SlimServer?

Try running the SlimServer service using a user account instead of the local system account. When doing this, use UNC style paths in the shortcut ( \\machine_name\share_name\optional_folder_path\ ) rather than mapped drive letters.

Also, double-check both folder and share permissions on the remote folder.

dougwise
2007-01-28, 13:42
Jim:

Thanks for the things to try, but it still won't work. When I use Windows Explorer to click on the shortcut in the music directory, the remote folder comes up. That leads me to believe it is not a permissions issue.

I have attached a partial screenshot of what happens when I click on the shortcut under "Browse Music Folder" in Slim Server. If I do the same thing with a local drive, I see the folder contents.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

JJZolx
2007-01-28, 14:02
What you as a user logged in to your machine can do often has no bearing on what SlimServer can do. Let me explain more fully the two possible problems that I suggested:

1. The local SYSTEM account may be able to access to the network. I've seen it work either way on Windows XP - either the SYSTEM account can, or it can't access network resources. Running the service under a Windows user account (I'd recommend creating one specifically for SlimServer) will get around this limitation.

or

2. Permission problems on the remote folder. If you can follow a link interactively in Windows Explorer, then you're doing this using the account under which you're logged in. If SlimServer is running as a service using the SYSTEM account, then permissions on either the remote share or folder may not permit the same access.