PDA

View Full Version : Glitches, Pops and Pauses

lairdo
2007-01-27, 08:10
Recently (in the past 3 months), I have experienced an increasing amount of pops, pauses and glitches in music playback. At this point, I cannot play a song without at least one of these happening. In fact, once a minute is not uncommon now.

My set up:
Original Squeezebox connected via wired input. Firmware up to date. (40)
SlimServer 6.5.0 (the problem was happening on earlier versions as well)
Windows XP Pro, SP2
2.0 GHz Xeon processor, 512 of RAM
My library is about 20,000 songs – almost all of which are MP3s

The computer is older but only runs SlimServer - nothing else - I've even turned off virus protection. I am also running TelCanto on a couple of PocketPCs. I use Windows Remote Access to control the computer.

I've looked through the forums to find suggestions but have not been successful finding similar problems.

What I have tried:
Restarts of the computer
Rebuilding the database and complete reinstalls
Power cycling the Squeezebox
Upgrading (from 6.2 up to 6.5 - I see that 6.5.1 is out but doubt this is really related to the version of the server)
Using LAME to limit the bit rate as I have some files at 320 bit rates but the issue persists
Verified the pops, etc, are not in the original files

In looking at the CPU and Network settings on the computer, I don't see any spikes or hiccups. CPU usage is around 20% average. Memory used is less than the physical so I don't think virtual memory is an issue with performance.

I'm running a gigabit network in my house for the computers that support it. I guess some of this might be network traffic, but I am not sure how to monitor that. I don’t notice an increase of problems when I am using Remote Access on the machine, which again makes me think the problem is not about network usage on the computer. At the same time, the audio glitches happen all the time even when only a few machines are on and not doing anything like transferring large files. My internet connection is 6 MB down and 768K up.

Audio is coming out the Squeezebox via the analog outputs, so this is not related to an external DAC. I am feeding this into a house music amplification system. Everything else on this system (DirecTV, Sirius, FM) plays fine.

So, I am looking for further suggestions, tips, hints of what could cause this and where to try to make changes.

Thank you,

Laird

lairdo
2007-01-27, 10:32
Well, doesn't it just figure that after weeks of on and off looking for solutions that I find some help after I post. Of course it's in the FAQ which I thought I had read thoroughly.

Anyway, I think (after about 30 minutes of playing) that the glitches are somewhat solved. I've set the MTU on the network adapter in the registry to 1500. (There was no entry previously.)

I am still getting pauses where the music just stops for a few seconds and then resumes at the same place.

(I also upgraded to 6.5.1 but the glitches and pauses were present on that too.)

Triode
2007-01-27, 10:56
Please look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues and post what results you get

peter
2007-01-27, 10:57
lairdo wrote:
> Well, doesn't it just figure that after weeks of on and off looking for
> solutions that I find some help after I post. Of course it's in the
> FAQ which I thought I had read thoroughly.
>
> Anyway, I think (after about 30 minutes of playing) that the glitches
> are somewhat solved. I've set the MTU on the network adapter in the
> registry to 1500. (There was no entry previously.)
>
> I am still getting pauses where the music just stops for a few seconds
> and then resumes at the same place.
>
> (I also upgraded to 6.5.1 but the glitches and pauses were present on
> that too.)
>

Perhaps it would be a good idea to try Michael Herger's SlimCD.

http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763

A bootable linux CD that runs slimserver.
That way you can try another OS without the reinstall and everything.

Regards,
Peter