Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randybrand
    • Jan 2006

End of song is cut off

I am using 6.5.1 and getting the end of songs cut off. My music is ripped with apple lossless from cd's and managed with iTunes. Crossfade is off and iTunes gapless check box is off. Can anyone help?
  • SteveEast
    • Feb 2006

There have been a number of threads discussing this problem. One guy recently fixed his problem by rebooting his PC! But mostly the problem seems to remain unresolved.

I have a similar configuration (ALAC, iTunes, no crossfade, no gapless) but I don't hear the problem.

You should probably file a bug if there isn't one already - I didn't see one.

Steve.
    Home: 3*SB3 (1 dead), 1*Touch, 1*Boom, 5*Radio, iPeng/SqueezePad on 2G iPad, SbS 7.5.1 on Acer Aspire easyStore H340 WHS.
    Cabin: 1*Touch running 7.5.0 on itself with 32GB SDHC card.

Comment

• bodajmac
      • Jan 2007

i've been having this problem with apple lossless and aac files and am very keen to try and get on top of the problem. i'm using the latest 6.5.2 server build for windows, am streaming apple lossless as wav using alac and aac as wav using mov123.

i have one particular song i'm using as a test case - it's ideal for the purpose as it ends very suddenly, and my suspicion is that the cutoffs are possibly only a second or less in length, so wouldn't be noticed on a lot of tracks. the same track ripped to apple lossless or aac will miss the final chord or so on playback, but when ripped to mp3 will play in its entirety. suspecting the transcoding process i output the whole file to wav using alac at a command prompt - this produced the complete file with end intact, which would seem to exonerate the transcoding process of any blame.

can anyone suggest any of the debug options which might be of use in diagnosing this problem? can the log file record whether slimserver actually played a track right through to its end?

one further interesting point is that applying the 'Play only selected song' server setting seemed to have the effect of allowing the sample track to play through to the end some 2 times out of the 3 i tested it with that setting on. to my mind this suggests that there might be something buggy about the way in which slimserver handles transitions between tracks when those tracks are aac or apple lossless files - can anyone with more technical knowledge than me offer an opinion as to whether this sounds likely as an explanation of the problem?

any input very gratefully received!

Comment

• bodajmac
        • Jan 2007

anyone any ideas? am i not providing the right kind of information for troubleshooting purposes or is there not much that can be done here? am very grateful for any input!

cheers!

Comment

• oriordan
          • Feb 2006

I am having the same problem with the last quarter of a second or so of all songs being cut off. I initially upgraded to a nightly image in order to use the iTunes update plug-in and that's when I noticed the problem. I thought it might be the iTunes update plug-in but disabling it and rebooting didn't make any difference; I still hear the end of each song being clipped.

I already had an email thread going with Daniel in the support team; I have pointed him to this thread and hope he'll file a bug or tell me if it's a known issue. I'll update this thread when I hear from him.

Comment

• randybrand
            • Jan 2006

dumped 6.5.x

After seeing an apparent lack of response to this and other similar threads by "those in the know" I decided to go back to 6.3.1. That got rid of the whacked ends and also may have gotten rid of another problem that I was having where Slimserver would "stumble" after the first half hour or so of playing like it couldn't get enough music through the pipe. Previous solution to that was to pause for awhile and then things would be fine.

I think part of the problem is that it varies so much depending upon the system - many others are running 6.5.x without a glitch. There must be a common thread somewhere.....

Comment

• haunyack
              • Jan 2007

Ghost in the machine

Originally posted by randybrand
              After seeing an apparent lack of response to this and other similar threads by "those in the know" I decided to go back to 6.3.1. That got rid of the whacked ends and also may have gotten rid of another problem that I was having where Slimserver would "stumble" after the first half hour or so of playing like it couldn't get enough music through the pipe. Previous solution to that was to pause for awhile and then things would be fine.

I think part of the problem is that it varies so much depending upon the system - many others are running 6.5.x without a glitch. There must be a common thread somewhere.....
              randybrand,
              I can say that after dealing with the truncation of my wma tracks that I also reverted back to 6.3.1 after receiving only cursory assistance from Slimdevices support.
              You make a valid point in that with only a few of us that are affected by this "bug" and no apparent troubleshooting with the log reporting function of slimserver itself,verification, not to mention specific problem definition is futile.

ok, that said, when 6.5.1 was released I did a clean install (6.5.1) and found that the truncation problem became intermittent for me.
              Then, 6.5.1 slimserver refused to start so I again went back to 6.3.1 - truncation issue went bye bye.
              Because of major rework of my storage/array structure on my local machine, I re-installed my os (wxpsp2).
              Guess what?
              6.5.1 is working almost flawlessly.
              Don't know how to explain that one but I am not inclined to think that the fresh windoze install had anything to do with it.

Maybe the camera in the interface ran out of film?

Comment

• randybrand
                • Jan 2006

stumbling

Well, so much for the stumbling problem going away after going back to 6.3.1. It just did it again. Oh well, at least the end of the songs are not cut off.

I've been thinking about getting a new cpu, but need to see how Slimserver gets along with Vista first. Maybe I'd be better off re-loading my OS. Yech!

Comment

• haunyack
                  • Jan 2007

Coincidence?

Hmm...now that I think of it....truncation and the introduction of mp3 gapless playback.
                  Ya think?
                  Last edited by haunyack; 2007-01-30, 15:00.

Comment

• randybrand
                    • Jan 2006

Looking for the common thread

My song library and slimserver are on the same CPU running XPSP2. However the song library is on a different physical drive than Slimserver and iTunes. Could this be why song ends are cut only on 6.5.1?

Comment

• haunyack
                      • Jan 2007

Doubt it

Originally posted by randybrand
                      My song library and slimserver are on the same CPU running XPSP2. However the song library is on a different physical drive than Slimserver and iTunes. Could this be why song ends are cut only on 6.5.1?

My library (1850 albumns) resides on a 300g ide drive while my os runs WD74 Raptor from sata Intel controller and the slimserver runs on WD36 Raptor sata Promise controller.
                      Up until now I've not had the truncation problem so that leads me to believe it is an un-verified bug that Slimdevices support turns a blind eye to.

Comment

• fazambuja
                        • Jul 2006

For the second time I'm having this annoying BUG
                        This time in a complete different and brand new PC.

Did anyone found a solution for? Is Slimdevices team looking for the bug?

I saw that itunes checked 5 seconds of crossfade. I unchecked and the problem remains the same The problem is so annoying for me that I'm using my CD player again. I'm pretty disappointed with this and the lack of info.

By the way it was a clean install of slimserver and itunes in a brand new win xp pro sp2...

I'll try 6.3.1...

Cheers
                        Last edited by fazambuja; 2007-04-14, 07:28.

Comment

• fazambuja
                          • Jul 2006

I tried 6.3 and won't run, it keeps crashing
                          I had to reinstall 6.5.1 and the problems continues...cut the last 5 seconds destroying all the joy of use Squeezebox.

I'm trying to figure out if has something to do with Itunes check by him self the 5 seconds of crossfade. The same thing was happen when listening in the PC.

Sorry for my bad English. But I'm trying to figure out what happen.

Cheers

Comment

• M3Rocket
                            • Dec 2005

Sounds suspiciously like the known transcoding problem that started when gapless MP3 was introduced. This problem was reported awhile ago, so read these bug reports and vote for the bug so that it is given higher priority for a fix!

Comment

Working...