Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • totoro
    • Jun 2006

Complaints about architecture, slimserver, etc

I don't have any major complaints (I have minor ones about the fragility of the album art feature, but that isn't what I want to address here.).

However, others clearly do.

Because of the passion involved, some of these complaints end up in somewhat unrelated threads.

I thought I'd start one here. If it gets big/angry enough, it will attract the attention of slimdevices people, thus satisfying people upset with the hardware or software.

At the same time, it _might_ relieve some of the pressure on other threads where people whose sb3/transporter/whatever simply didn't work for them are expressing their frustration.

Sorry if this is presumptuous.

--Michael
    sb touch -> classdaudio sds-450 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3 & rythmik f12se
  • CatBus
    • Sep 2006

No substantial complaints here either. Maybe if the thread stays subdued and congenial, SlimDevices people will be proud of their fine work.

Nice username BTW. Now all we need is Mei's response and we're all set.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
      • Apr 2005

Re: Complaints about architecture, slimserver, etc

Johnny Stork wrote:
      1: Slimserver is a dinosaur and should start looking to Jinzora for interface ideas.

If you are arguing that the Web UI needs work, you really should say
      that. I do not agree that the SlimServer is a dinosaur. It works well
      for me.

The UI is not all AJAX and Web2.0 compliant, and many people expect it
      to be. But it meets my needs fine.

2: A small/embedded web server and video output on the SB would allow
      for a big screen interface to the SB.

Video output is totally against what I want. I don't want a TV anywhere
      near my audio.

Clearly we disagree, but don't force me to put a stinking TV in my audio
      room.

3: Transporter could have dual, mirrored, quiet SATA drives, and
      embedded Linux for a for standalone device.

The music server needs to be in another room. No drive is quiet enough
      for me. If the Transporter had disk drives in it, I would not have
      bought one. My music server is in the basement. If I wanted a PC holding
      my music, I would have bought one, or used one of the 20 or so I have in
      my house. I bought my first SqueezeBox explicitly because the audio unit
      is slim, and the server goes in the basement. Buy from FatDevices if
      that is what you want.

YMMV, etc.

--
      Pat
      Last edited by pfarrell; 2007-01-26, 05:03.
      Pat
      http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• MrSinatra

1. it doesn't handle net radio streams as robustly as other solutions. this is all but proven in other threads, please don't argue with me about it.

2. it currently crashes everytime i click "T U or V" in my library. to say that sucks royally is putting it mildly. btw, i filed a bug, haven't heard much back yet.

(i think it doesn't like some artwork file, but i can't say for sure)

3. SS itself mostly sucks as an interface. it certainly has its uses, and i'm not saying a web backend isn't an attractive feature, but why must it be the only way in on the front end?

4. lack of a device driver alternative that would allow the SB to be treated as "just another sound card" is really annoying, b/c if SD had such a thing, it would at the very least give me a workaround as to the first 3 issues i've listed.

5. it is a memory and resource hog. it more than doubles any other app i have. and running multiple processes isn't terrific either. i especially don't like the way mysql remains running even if i quit SS.

6. this is minor, but when SS starts, it opens an IE window, (i have IE7), and it goes to a blank page. why? b/c SS doesn't open fast enough. elegant, it ain't.

7. the default skin is very unappealing. hopefully 7 is more interesting. why not incorporate some of kdf's fishbone features into the default? of course, switching skins can be a problem too, as i found out when updating versions.

i don't want to change the topic to suggestions or what i want to see, but i do think a display on the remote, to complement one on the SB would be nice, as well as a video out IF you wanted to use it. (not saying video out for media streaming, but more for putting on top of the screen, translucent like)
        Last edited by Guest; 2007-01-26, 05:08.

Comment

• kdf
          NOT a Slim Devices Employee
          • Apr 2005

On 25-Jan-07, at 8:59 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
          > (i think it doesn't like some artwork file, but i can't say for sure)
          >

you could help everyone concerned in a really BIG way if you mentioned
          this in the bug report, and did us the favour of splitting those T-V
          albums to a temporary library one at a time until you snag the album
          art that IS a problem. As some have said all along, it is something on
          your system. This is what makes it very hard to fix using only OUR
          systems. Give us all a break, and please try to help with the fix. I
          don't men to sound harsh, and certainly don't want to add more fuel,
          I'm asking...now it's up to you to decide if it's worth making the
          effort.

thanks.

-kdf

Comment

• MrSinatra

WHOA... wait a minute here kdf...

first of all, i'm JUST GUESSING its artwork.

secondly, no one, NO ONE, including you, had suggested ANYTHING to try to date.

thirdly, i DID mention it in the bug report.

fourthly, where do you get "as some have said all along" no one has said anything, but i never said it wasn't something on my system either. where do you get that???

what i do say, is that bad artwork file or no, SS shouldn't crash and burn as a result, IF in fact, that is what it is.

look, i will happily try what you suggest when i have the time to, but before you complain about me sitting around doing nothing or whatever it is you think, how about giving me a fair shake and at least ONE CHANCE to do something?

as to what you suggest, b/c of the way my dir folders are, its not simple to simply pull out all the T U Vs and so on... but i'll give it a go.

Comment

• Skunk
              • Dec 2005

I love the architecture and would like to thank all the plugin and skin developers for their efforts.

When iTunes gets fired up by the roommate it wreaks havoc on my PC, while SS, OTOH, is rather benevolent (though the server is shut down when not listening, so can't speak as to runaway processes etc.). Does what it says on the tin so far as I'm concerned.

It wouldn't be that hard, Mr. Sinatra, to pick up a CSS/HTML book and read a bit- rather than write so profusely about what amounts to little/no headway in solving the problem. SS can do what those prettier interfaces do, and so much more I would guess . The pieces are all there waiting for someone intelligent like you to put them into an aesthetically pleasing whole.
              'The Buddha resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a computer as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower'.
              -Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Comment

• MrSinatra

and there is also the added complication of tags not always matching the dir names...

i suppose SS ignores "The" tho, so i shouldn't have to worry about those.

Comment

• MrSinatra

Originally posted by Skunk
                  It wouldn't be that hard, Mr. Sinatra, to pick up a CSS/HTML book and read a bit- rather than write so profusely about what amounts to little/no headway in solving the problem. SS can do what those prettier interfaces do, and so much more I would guess . The pieces are all there waiting for someone intelligent like you to put them into an aesthetically pleasing whole.
                  you flatterer.

i don't like itunes myself, but winamp is very well behaved, and uses a mere fraction of the resources.

in any case, i am not a programmer, nor do i really "believe in" the web interface design.

i am a SB user, and like my opinions or no, i feel that as a user i have the right to voice that opinion, just as you have the right to disagree. i certainly respect that.

my opinion is a device driver for the SB would benefit a great many people, myself included, and i hope logitech hears that opinion, b/c my guess is, they'll agree.

Comment

• kdf
                    • Apr 2005

On 25-Jan-07, at 9:29 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
                    > WHOA... wait a minute here kdf...
                    >

you know what, forget it. you are hopeless.

good luck.

i won't waste any more time trying to get anything more from you on
                    this.
                    don't try to get anything from me.

thank you.

Comment

• MrSinatra

well kdf, when you say a bunch of untrue things in that post to try to make me look like i'm some deaf dummy, what do you expect?

next time, don't lie or mischaracterize. and if you do, don't be surprised if someone is put off.

Comment

• Peter
                        • Apr 2005

MrSinatra wrote:
                        > my opinion is a device driver for the SB would benefit a great many
                        > people, myself included, and i hope logitech hears that opinion, b/c my
                        > guess is, they'll agree.
                        >

It would be a nice extra (especially if t would play nice with
                        Slimserver). However it is quite easy to guess that people like you
                        would not really be happy with a (windows only!) sound driver (and I'm
                        not even talking about possible sync problems when playing DVD's). The
                        next request would undoubtedly be a way to control iTunes/WinAmp/WMP
                        from the SB remote, which is harder to do in a generic way. Then it
                        would of course be unacceptable that the SB isn't displaying the
                        trackname of what is playing either.

So if you think things through, delivering such a feature might start
                        the SB/TP stuff to be sucked in a whole different direction. Perhaps
                        it's a good idea commercially, but perhaps it isn't. I certainly
                        wouldn't want to miss the current slimserver architecture.

Regards,
                        Peter

Comment

• kdf
                          • Apr 2005

On 25-Jan-07, at 9:50 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
                          > well kdf, when you say a bunch of untrue things in that post to try to
                          > make me look like i'm some deaf dummy, what do you expect?

when I suggest a course of action, I expect that, in good faith, you
                          will try it.
                          a guess is perfectly valid. It's something worth proving out. And, I
                          fully expect that I will honour the response by following through on
                          anything that comes as a response to my suggested course of action.
                          Your response shows an assumption that simply isn't valid.

> next time, don't lie or mischaracterize. and if you do, don't be
                          > surprised if someone is put off.
                          >

oh blue eyes...I've never lied.

when you stop your poor behaviour, I'll still be here to walk you
                          through if you are interested. just remember: even if a step seams
                          dumb, it has to happen. You never know if the power problem is simply
                          due to a loose cord.

again, if you wish to calm down and provide the info (I'd even be
                          willing to download the entire collection of TUV if that makes it
                          easy), then I'll continue to do what I do. If you wish to fire
                          insults in all directions, then I'm sorry...but I will withdraw my aid
                          as I have on every occasion where you have become aggressive with or
                          anyone else. You can disagree, as I know you can do so well. It comes
                          down to what result you want. You have the option.

good night.

-kdf

Comment

• MrSinatra

people like me? whats that? people who like "easy"? people who like "simple to use"?

in any case, no, i wouldn't expect the SD remote to control any given app, nor would i necessarily expect the SB display to have any info on it if using something other than SS.

however, creative sells sound cards that have remotes that CAN control multiple different apps, and can be user customized. 3rd party remotes are not uncommon.

also, i don't think it would be a monumental undertaking for a SB driver to check to see if a given audio app, (like WMP or winamp) is putting out song info, (much as they do when giving that info to say msn/windows messenger).

i think logitech will do "the sucking" ie. into a whole new direction as u put it. and frankly, i look forward to it, b/c i am sure they will look into this kind of a solution, b/c there is no doubt its a more commercially viable one.

again, i'm not saying either/or. i say why not both?

Comment

• Michael Herger
                              Babelfish's Best Boy
                              • Apr 2005

Complaints about architecture, slimserver, etc

> Because of the passion involved, some of these complaints end up in
                              > somewhat unrelated threads.
                              >
                              > I thought I'd start one here.

Thanks, good idea. I was thinking about a "why slimserver sucks" thread as
                              well, and put it on my blacklist straight away ;-).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                              http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
                              http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR
                              Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                              (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

Working...