PDA

View Full Version : Controling an SB2 via RS232

Puggie
2007-01-25, 05:50
I'm looking alternate control methods dor the squeezebox for my proposed squeezebox in a car project. would it be possible to control the SB2 from an RS232 interface?

if the Aux I/O port on the SB2 could receive serial data at 5V ttl and understand single byte commands to emulate the IR remote I would very easily (as in, get someone else to) be able to control the squeezebox from my current steering wheel controls.

thanks

Bill.

mherger
2007-01-25, 06:06
> I'm looking alternate control methods dor the squeezebox for my proposed
> squeezebox in a car project. would it be possible to control the SB2
> from an RS232 interface?

While the Transporter does feature a rs232 interface I doubt you'll find
enough space to fit it into the dashboard :-).

AFAIK there's not such interface to the SB.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Puggie
2007-01-25, 09:29
I'm sure I could get a transporter into the dash with a little hacksaw work, anyone fancy sending me one to try :)

so what are my options for controling the Squeezebox 2, I do not mind getting the soldering iron out ;)

trash
2007-01-25, 10:22
Why don't you use a small microcontroller and a IR LED to blast in the codes? That way you don't muck with the SB2 and you can easily write ucode to translate RS232 data into IR. I believe the IR codes for all the SB2 commands are documented.

If you want to bypass the IR section, you can probably figure out the IR receiver on the SB2. Without even looking I would guess that they are using an IR module that does the demodulation/remove carrier freq stuff and just spits out the raw data. Just cut that module out (figuratively of course) and use your micro to inject the signal directly in to wherever it ends up going (I'm guessing to the DSP)

Trash

Puggie
2007-01-25, 10:42
I'm trying to control the squeezebox with a sony rotary commander from my car stereo, the sony remotes are not infra red, they are a wired controller and the command are resistive. I am trying to find a way of using this rotary commander to control both my stereo and the squeezebox. my knowledge of IR based controls is very very imited, so if you fancy pointng me towards some nice easy self learning info, go for it and I will be able to make more sense of your last post :)

thanks for the suggestions.

peter
2007-01-27, 03:40
Puggie wrote:
> I'm looking alternate control methods dor the squeezebox for my proposed
> squeezebox in a car project. would it be possible to control the SB2
> from an RS232 interface?
>
> if the Aux I/O port on the SB2 could receive serial data at 5V ttl and
> understand single byte commands to emulate the IR remote I would very
> easily (as in, get someone else to) be able to control the squeezebox
> from my current steering wheel controls.
>

Why not control your slimserver instead? After all the SB2 just controls
slimserver itself, so why not bypass it. You can enter IR button presses
directly into slimserver via the http or cli interfaces IIRC.

Regards,
Peter