PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Set up with Mac and Windows

Bionaire
2007-01-24, 15:51
I have the wireless SB 3. I have Slimserver installed on my Mac Powerbook to access my music files. The Powerbook is connected via Ethernet to a Netgear DG834G which is configured through a PC which alsp provides a home wireless network.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to configuring the SB3 so that I can play the music on my Powerbook using the wireless set up (airport card). Will I need to remove the ethernet cable out of the Powerbook to avoid conflicts - any advice most welcome.

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 16:26
Why don't you want to use it out of the router? You're looking to do something called ad-hoc networking, which you don't need since you have a wireless router.

Ad-hoc networking isn't very secure and will probably be more prone to problems.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign

Bionaire
2007-01-24, 16:35
The Router is at the back of the house and the hifi is at the front - I don't want a great long cable running through the house. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 16:37
The Router is at the back of the house and the hifi is at the front - I don't want a great long cable running through the house. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Not really...you say the SB3 is wireless. Any reason it can't connect wirelessly to the DG834G?

Bionaire
2007-01-24, 16:38
Thanks for that link. Can I configure the SB through my router (which in turn is configured through my PC) and get my Powerbook (connected to the router by ethernet via the PC config) to talk (rather play music) to the SB?

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 16:40
Thanks for that link. Can I configure the SB through my router (which in turn is configured through my PC) and get my Powerbook (connected to the router by ethernet via the PC config) to talk (rather play music) to the SB?

Sure, provided everything is connected to the router, either wired or wirelessly, they should all see each other.

BTW your router can be configured by your Powerbook as well. Your router doesn't care. Your SB won't either.

Bionaire
2007-01-24, 16:42
OK - I have tried that. It connects to the router wirelessly but then asks me for a music source - asking for the IP address of my Slimserver which is installed on my Powerbook. What should I enter here?

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 16:45
OK - I have tried that. It connects to the router wirelessly but then asks me for a music source - asking for the IP address of my Slimserver which is installed on my Powerbook. What should I enter here?

Thanks

It's asking for the address of your SlimServer, which you indicated you installed on your Powerbook. I don't know OS X, but every operating system has a way to tell you what IP address it's using.

Try "networking preferences" or something like that. You should see a 192.168.0.something, 192.168.1.something or 192.168.2.something.

BTW you may want to take a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide You're already halfway through - you installed SlimServer and your SB connects to your router just fine.

Bionaire
2007-01-24, 16:57
I appreciate your help thus far but as far as I can tell this is a Dynamic IP address which is assigned automatically but if anyone knows what I should put here that would be most helpful and allow me to get to bed before its too late!

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 17:56
I appreciate your help thus far but as far as I can tell this is a Dynamic IP address which is assigned automatically but if anyone knows what I should put here that would be most helpful and allow me to get to bed before its too late!

Thanks

You will have to find this out at the Powerbook. As you indicate, it's a dynamic address, which means it changes. So no one on this board can tell you what it is exactly - if they did they'd be guessing.

danco
2007-01-25, 02:19
You could set your Powerbook up with a static address. Might be easier.

Bionaire
2007-01-25, 07:11
OK - I now have it working - it took a while though - removed the fixed ethernet cable to the powerbook and set up a wireless network for the mac - then took me a few more hours to realise that the firewall was blocking me out so as per the Squeezebox manual configured that. My challenge for this evening is to re-connect the main ethernet cable to the back of the powerbook and see if I can run it off the main wireless router as I have read elsewhere that the audio quality suffers if there are too many wireless 'hops'.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-25, 08:17
OK - I now have it working - it took a while though - removed the fixed ethernet cable to the powerbook and set up a wireless network for the mac - then took me a few more hours to realise that the firewall was blocking me out so as per the Squeezebox manual configured that. My challenge for this evening is to re-connect the main ethernet cable to the back of the powerbook and see if I can run it off the main wireless router as I have read elsewhere that the audio quality suffers if there are too many wireless 'hops'.

Actually audio quality won't suffer per se. When/if it's working it'll be perfect. What may happen is you may get dropouts caused by the 2-hop connection not being fast enough to send music data to the player. The player will play as much as it has, then it will drop out. You'll hear this as stuttering. But you won't hear audio distortion, pops or scratches - it'll either be there or it won't. You may also experience lag/jerkiness of the remote or jerkiness in the display as it scrolls or animates.

Under ideal conditions it should work. However the real world is less than ideal.

But try it out, if it works for you there's no need to troubleshoot. Just be aware that wireless conditions change daily due to weather, electrical interference, neighbouring wireless networks, cordless phones and microwaves. So what works one day may not work the next.

Bionaire
2007-01-25, 15:29
Thanks for that. My next challenge is getting the Slimserver to recognise the iTunes music files that resides on an external drive. I have tried putting the path name into the Slimserver settings but it doesn't recognise it. Instead it is taking the music files that are on the main Powerbook drive which is no good as 99% of my music is on the external Volume drive.

Am I missing something here - I appreciate that you don't use a Mac but if anyone out there does help for a frustrated newbie would be most welcome at this hour of the day.

bergek
2007-01-25, 16:06
Since OS X is a Unix type of OS, you get the IP address by typing the command 'ifconfig' in a terminal window (there is an application somewhere in your system called Terminal - similar to what Windows people call 'Command shell'). Search for the string "inet addr". The Windows version of 'ifconfig' is called 'ipconfig'.

To my knowledge Slimserver doesn't support looking in multiple folders for music. Windows users of Slimserver usually get around this by using shortcuts. On OS X (or Linux) you can make it much prettier by 'mounting' multiple disks within the same folder structure (Windows users can do this as well but usually don't realise it).

As an example you could do this (still from the terminal window):

mkdir /var/musictest
mkdir /var/musictest/external
mkdir /var/musictest/internal
mount /dev/sda1 /var/musictest/external
mount /some/path/to/current/music/folder /var/musictest/internal

The first three lines just creates a top folder and two subfolders. The next two lines takes the contents of two folders (including everything within) and puts it right on top of the two empty folders created in lines two and three. It is just a pointer so that the data is still available in the old path.

You would then specify /var/musictest within Slimserver and it would traverse down and find all your music. The folder names above are just examples, you should change to whatever you have on your system. Also, I have assumed that you only have one external drive and that it has only one partition.

The effects of the first three lines will remain when you restart your computer. The last two commands will be undone when you reboot your server. If you want to avoid having to type the commands every time you restart the server you can add lines to /etc/fstab. For instance I have a line that looks like this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc1 /var/music ext2 defaults 1 0

Most likely you can do all this from the OS X gui but I am not familiar with it.

Bionaire
2007-01-25, 16:45
Thanks for that. I tried this method which was posted by under General Discussion by Exile...

in order for slimserver to read multiple drives: you need to create a symbolic link to the music folder on the external drive. i can't remember the details but I believe I had to download a small symbolic link utility program. then once it's installed you can control click on a folder and get the option of creating a symbolic link for that folder. Put the symbolic link in your main itunes music folder and you're set to go. rescan your music and all files should appear in your listing.

I downloaded a free utility program called Symbolic Linker from here...

http://www.pure-mac.com/cmm.html#symboliclinker

I then followed these instructions to the letter and hey presto it found all the music files on the external hard drive - took a while to scan them (540 Albums) but at last I can use the device the way I wanted to in the first place - it's only taken me 2 nights! Thanks to all those who helped along the way.