PDA

View Full Version : Mulitple directory capabilities for Music folder

sfraser
2007-01-24, 12:11
Hey guy's I am not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but with all the questions/answers in regards to implementing shortcuts, correct permissions etc. for the Slimserver Music directory, how difficult would it be to implement a feature where the user would be able to specify multiple directories/file folders?

Cheers,

Scott

Mark Miksis
2007-01-24, 12:21
You might want to try this new plugin:

http://erland.homeip.net/download/do/viewapplication?name=slimserver-multilibrary

kdf
2007-01-24, 12:23
Quoting sfraser <sfraser.2kxiiz1169666101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hey guy's I am not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but
> with all the questions/answers in regards to implementing shortcuts,
> correct permissions etc. for the Slimserver Music directory, how
> difficult would it be to implement a feature where the user would be
> able to specify multiple directories/file folders?

certainly harder than pointing to one folder then dragging any number
of folders as shortcuts into the one (though it is simpler to add now
than it once was). Of course, neither that nor multiple entries in
the server settings will solve the permissions issues. And, if there
are problems with shortcuts in slimserver, then those still need to
work for those who do have shortcuts anywhere within their music
library.

-kdf

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 12:32
Hey guy's I am not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but with all the questions/answers in regards to implementing shortcuts, correct permissions etc. for the Slimserver Music directory, how difficult would it be to implement a feature where the user would be able to specify multiple directories/file folders?

Been wondering about that one myself for quite a while. And it's been discussed. No reasons given why it hasn't been done yet - just that it's low priority when there's a workaround.

It won't address permission issues, though. Just a matter of convenience and easier library management. It would be a lot nicer to be able to do this completely from the web interface instead of dicking around with shortcuts.

One factor, I'm certain, is the *nix mindset of the developers. Creating a link to another folder in Linux is second nature and pretty transparent. Much less so for the typical Windows user.

sfraser
2007-01-24, 12:52
Quoting sfraser <sfraser.2kxiiz1169666101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hey guy's I am not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but
> with all the questions/answers in regards to implementing shortcuts,
> correct permissions etc. for the Slimserver Music directory, how
> difficult would it be to implement a feature where the user would be
> able to specify multiple directories/file folders?

certainly harder than pointing to one folder then dragging any number
of folders as shortcuts into the one (though it is simpler to add now
than it once was). Of course, neither that nor multiple entries in
the server settings will solve the permissions issues. And, if there
are problems with shortcuts in slimserver, then those still need to
work for those who do have shortcuts anywhere within their music
library.

-kdf

It's funny, i have had issues where slimserver is using the same account (service account) as I am logged in with, all folder shortcuts reside on a the same platform (multiple drives however). Slimerver cannot access some shortcuts, yet I can bounce around with file explorer between directories, and play files. That never made any sense to me, the SS should have same access rights as the account it uses to initiate itself?

kdf
2007-01-24, 12:59
Much less so for the typical Windows user.

Does Microsoft know how hard their drag n drop concept is for people? I feel kinda stupid knowing that I have to re-read the help every time I want to create a link on my slimserver machine.

-kdf

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 13:01
It's funny, i have had issues where slimserver is using the same account (service account) as I am logged in with, all folder shortcuts reside on a the same platform (multiple drives however). Slimerver cannot access some shortcuts, yet I can bounce around with file explorer between directories, and play files. That never made any sense to me, the SS should have same access rights as the account it uses to initiate itself?

No. SlimServer running as a Windows service will run by default logged in using the local system account, not the user that installed it. It differs from system to system, but you may have to run the service under a user account if you want to access network file shares.

An oddity that I once ran into (one of those "feature, not a bug" things) is that if you're logged in on the server machine as a user with mapped drives and set a UNC path to your music folder in the web interface, SlimServer may translate that path to a mapped drive letter. Then when the SlimServer service starts up, the path will not work. I'm sure that's bit more than a few people in the butt.

kdf
2007-01-24, 13:04
That never made any sense to me, the SS should have same access rights as the account it uses to initiate itself?

yes, it should. This can depend on whether the server is initiated as a system service (default), as a user service or manually by the user. *nix is a bit easier for this type of case, simply becuase an application really can't tell the difference beween a link and a directory. On windows, shortcuts are a special case. If there are problems other than user/system access issues, they should get resolved. In my own experience, slimserver seems to handle shortcuts well enough when I use them. But, I'm only dealing with local drives and I run the server manually after I'm logged in.

-kdf